2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. 2x. Am i fucked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I got one of those tickets sometime last summer. Here in cali, they doubled the rates on them, so I payed around 500 for the red light ticket

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by phuccer
I got one of those tickets sometime last summer. Here in cali, they doubled the rates on them, so I payed around 500 for the red light ticket
Wow! That's insane. When I received one in NY, it was $50, and no points...and I thought $50 was bad.....lol

Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Red light cameras are money makers typically for
Private enterprise.
Most cities that get that $35-45k only wind up getting a SMALL % of the actual money collected. The rest goes to whatever business is running it.
Also be extra alert at red light camera areas as they are known to increase accidents (typically rear end collisions) from people trying not to get a ticket.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LittleMissE
While I do agree that people running stoplights/ signs cause accidents. I do believe that these cameras will cause accidents as well. All the intersections in town that has them I try to avoid. Instead of one or two people going through the yellow light now everyone slams there brakes because they don't want a ticket. (Yes the argument could be made that everyone should be driving a safe distance behind the person in front of you; but that doesn't always happen).

I think that if people followed all the traffic rules and didn't run lights we wouldn't need them in the first place but not everyone knows all the rules(they should, each state is different thou).

The ambulance thing someone mentioned is pretty funny. I have heard there are either a few pictures taken or video so they should know that you were pictured because you moved out of an ambulances way but I understand people being worried about that.
Originally Posted by krakhed
Red light cameras are money makers typically for
Private enterprise.
Most cities that get that $35-45k only wind up getting a SMALL % of the actual money collected. The rest goes to whatever business is running it.
Also be extra alert at red light camera areas as they are known to increase accidents (typically rear end collisions) from people trying not to get a ticket.
I've heard a few times that RL cams cause more accidents. does anyone know of any stats on this? I'd think that 95% of people really wouldn't even know they are there and then when they find out, they'll likely be more cautious at most all intersections. It's more along the lines of conditioning... Probably the majority of people that I know wouldn't even know what a RL cam looks like let alone be able to tell if any place other than where they were snagged themselves has one.

~SB

oh... Sidenote for MissE, I've read this in a few different posts and for some reason it drives me up a wall. (it shouldn't, I was a math major not an english one but...) The use of "thou"... drives me nuts because I'm not reading it as "tho" or "though" but the ou sound in OW or OUch.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
oh... Sidenote for MissE, I've read this in a few different posts and for some reason it drives me up a wall. (it shouldn't, I was a math major not an english one but...) The use of "thou"... drives me nuts because I'm not reading it as "tho" or "though" but the ou sound in OW or OUch.
when I see "thou"... I think of... old english, "you."

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
For some reason I always think of Romeo and Juliet and the balcony scene when I see "thou"....

Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by krakhed
Sometimes I get a little paranoid when I'm at a red light camera area....I'm always looking to see if the "Don't Walk" sign is blinking...because then I know I don't have much time to pass the intersection and I uaully speed up to avoid being caught in the intersection......To me, these cameras promote unsafe driving habits- either people are speeding through the intersection because the light is going to change, or they are slamming on their brakes way too early to stop before the light actually turns red....

Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I got pulled over here in Florida for turning right on red without stopping. I had to pull over right behind my delivery job only to find out that the officer was my mother. So I got an earfull from her right in front of my co-workers. Kinda wish I'd gotten a ticket instead...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fizban
Sometimes I get a little paranoid when I'm at a red light camera area....I'm always looking to see if the "Don't Walk" sign is blinking...because then I know I don't have much time to pass the intersection and I uaully speed up to avoid being caught in the intersection......To me, these cameras promote unsafe driving habits- either people are speeding through the intersection because the light is going to change, or they are slamming on their brakes way too early to stop before the light actually turns red....
I have had the habit, long before red light cameras, of checking out the crosswalk sign as I approached an intersection. I consider that a "pre-warning" of a caution coming up. I don't see how that is promoting unsafe driving habits.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
At least your insurance wont go up. If you got a ticket physically by police then it would go up. Whether u have concerns for any of this anyway.. lol

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
so your saying this ticket won't put points on my license?

If it does, insurance will go up too. And yes i do have concerns giving away money. hahah

I am 21, just moved out on my own for the first (a month ago) time and starting my career. So money is pretty tight right now.

California is amazing though. Very nice weather. (at least in Seal Beach) Girls are hot and everywhere. So much things to do...best place on america!!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Im pretty sure it won't add any points. However I'm not sure about your state. Majority states don't enforce that as real ticket. It is almost like a parking ticket. However if that same ticket were issued by actual police officer, it would most definately add points and insurance rate would go up for sure.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
I got a right turn red light ticket last year in my fit. So i wrote them a letter contesting it and WON! Got my bail money back after 4 months.

What i did was basically:

-say that i was driving from green into yellow light when the light ubruptly turned red.

-the traffic camera clocked me at 24mph at .01sec when i crossed the intersection line.

-so i stated that i attempted to stop when i saw the red, but it was impossible to make complete stop at the speed without skidding into the intersection, so i just pushed through rather than cause an insafe situation.

-to back myself up, i printed a stopping distance chart and human reaction chart.

good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Apparently this forum welcomes profanity. ? Or is it just the profane OP?

The mods should take an example from crzforums.com where profanity and obscenity are not tolerated.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
The law here is "right turn on red after stop" but no one bothers to stop and I have seen some close calls on a lot of occasions.... I don't think I have ever lived anyplace where people that can't read are allowed to drive.... The really bad thing is that most of the vehicles on the roads here are big SUVs and Quad Cab 1 ton pickups with Masonic Lodge stickers on them and they are never given tickets.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by whaap
I have had the habit, long before red light cameras, of checking out the crosswalk sign as I approached an intersection. I consider that a "pre-warning" of a caution coming up. I don't see how that is promoting unsafe driving habits.
If there is no camera at the intersection and I approach and see the crosswalk sign blinking, I know I could maintain my speed and pass the intersection in time...which means possibly passing through when the light turns yellow. With the red light cameras, passing while it is yellow is a no-no, you can't make it through the whole intersection in time on a yellow and it will snap a pic of your license plate as the light turns red.....this means either you speed up to try and make it through in time, or slow down and possibly get caught in between...then breaking hard to stop, causing a rear-end collision.....all of this because of a camera light.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I can still remember the time nitrous saved my ass from getting a red light ticket. I was in Oak Lawn where there is a red light camera at like every damn intersection. I was just coming up to an intersection at cruising speed. The light turns yellow. In a microsecond my mind calculates my speed and the vehicle tailgating me. I was close to the point of no return. I might stop in time but I would be getting squished by the suv behind me. So without a chance to think beyond this, I instinctively pulled up the safety latch and hit the switch and put the pedal to the floor (all within that same microsecond), she downkicked, the tires grabbed, and I was the hell out of there. Until I saw the flash. Then I looked behind me and realized the dumbass suv that was tailgating me got left in my dust and the intersection. Feels good man.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I was just coming up to an intersection at cruising speed. The light turns yellow. In a microsecond my mind calculates my speed and the vehicle tailgating me. I was close to the point of no return. I might stop in time but I would be getting squished by the suv behind me. So without a chance to think beyond this, I instinctively pulled up the safety latch and hit the switch and put the pedal to the floor (all within that same microsecond), she downkicked, the tires grabbed, and I was the hell out of there. Until I saw the flash. Then I looked behind me and realized the dumbass suv that was tailgating me got left in my dust and the intersection. Feels good man.
This is exactly why I think those red light cameras are dangerous....you have to make up your mind in a split second...do I floor it and still be able to make it, or do I stop and potentially have the guy behind me end up in my trunk....i do love seeing a flash, knowing that it is for the fool behind me who thought he could make it also....LOL

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Don't those same questions come up when there's no camera? Run a red or stop? The greatest risk is to pedestrians.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yellow simply means caution and if you get into the intersection in time before it's actually red you're legit. At least that's how I was explained it to by a police office in Louisiana.

Or that's how he decided whom to ticket.

Quick Reply: Making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. 2x. Am i fucked?