2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Crap floor mats

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down Crap floor mats

I will start by saying I have probably 20 years on most of you here, so I have seen my share of Honda floor mats. I have owned roughly a dozen Hondas in my time, and I have never seen a bigger piece of crap than the carpeted mats I purchased from Majestic for the Fit. These mats are like a piece of cardboard with some home depot astro turf glued to the top. The OEM floor mats in my 88 CRX are in better shape than the mats I purchased for my new fit after only 1100 miles. When I drive, I remove my shoes so as not to put extra "strain" on the mat, and they are still wearing bad and looking run down already.

I just ordered a set of the weathertech mats to replace the crap I have now. I think the crappy carpeted mats were like $85 or close to it, and the OEM all season were $100 something. WOW! Come on Honda, just make a better mat and charge us more for a quality product so we don't feel like we are getting hosed again....

Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Why do you use floor mats? What do you personally look for in the function of a floor mat?

I'm confused by folks who complain about their floor mats getting dirty, wearing, and not making the car go any faster. It's a floor mat. If I come to your house should I avoid setting foot on your door mat?

I don't mean to attack you personally. I would just love an explanation.

I personally use the OEM Carpeted Floor Mats. I bought them because the floor underneath the mat doesn't offer much of a cushion, the floor carpeting isn't very durable on its own, and floor mats are easier for me to keep clean. I expect my floor mats to get dirty and I expect them to wear down, especially when I wear boots and the heels dig into the mat.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
We expect them not to wear out or fall apart too quickly, and to not slide around a lot.

I bought a set of cheapo floor mats (around $10 or $12) and cut the driver's one to fit around the dead pedal. Then bought a second set since the first set wasn't big enough- so now in places I have overlapping mats. But it's better than leaving gaps because the OEM carpeting is so bad.

And when these get too dirty or worn, I'll toss 'em and buy new ones, but I don't expect it to happen in the next couple of years.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the oem all season and thought they were fine. I had them for nearly a year. Only problem I had was they were not high enough in front & I wore a spot in the "carpet" where I placed my heel to exit the car. I kept the rears (they still look new) and now have weather tech digital liners in front.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
By my way of thinking, if you wore a spot in a year that's not fine.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I have the OEM all-season "rubber" mats, and I'd say I'm slightly disappointed in the quality. The Fits carpeting (ha!) is so cheap that using sometype of mat, either carpeted or all-season becomes inevitable. I'm sorry to hear Honda continued the carpet cheapness to extend to the carpet mats...one or the other should be better quality. The OEM all seasons have worn a little quickly too me...as the OP points out, at about $100, I'd expect a little better quality...on mine, the drivers mat has already worn visibly thin in area's, with lettering disappearing. This is in about a years time. I'd of hoped for better durability.

On the positive side? Carpeted or All-Season, there are lots of aftermarket or alternative choices, that are cheaper and probably more durable. When...and it will happen, but when I wear through the OEM mats...I'm buying either Weathertechs or Husky's...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
By my way of thinking, if you wore a spot in a year that's not fine.
Spot was worn in the carpet & dealer replaced the carpet under warranty- spot was not worn in the mat. I got the higher edge weather tech mat to protect the replaced carpet- the carpet in the Fit sucks.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
On the positive side? Carpeted or All-Season, there are lots of aftermarket or alternative choices, that are cheaper and probably more durable. When...and it will happen, but when I wear through the OEM mats...I'm buying either Weathertechs or Husky's...
I thought Huskys don't have floor mats for the Fit yet?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by XxProdigyxX
I thought Huskys don't have floor mats for the Fit yet?
They might not. I haven't really checked. I was going on recommendations from other people with other vehicles. They come highly recommended, I hope they do offer one for the Fit soon. In the meantime, I paid enough for the OEM that I'm hoping for at least another year, before they look so crappy I have to replace. I won't be replacing with OEM Honda.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I always enjoy when a youngster starts a thread

For you doctors and stock brokers Honda should make a quality all weather under $250 mat!

For me I use 18X24 inch mats bought at the junk stores for under $4 more like $1 or $2 if I keep my eye open. See em at the flea market at times. They get crappy I throw them out. It may take a bit of patience to find a usable color.

If you cannot wait for them to form fit. Well first you need to buy the jute backed kind, not the rubber ones. Jute is usually a coarse brown fiber. You can take a heat source, blow dryer, heat gun, heat lamp and heat the mat and form it to the shape of your floor.
JIm 0311

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Starks
Why do you use floor mats? What do you personally look for in the function of a floor mat?

I'm confused by folks who complain about their floor mats getting dirty, wearing, and not making the car go any faster. It's a floor mat. If I come to your house should I avoid setting foot on your door mat?

I don't mean to attack you personally. I would just love an explanation.

I personally use the OEM Carpeted Floor Mats. I bought them because the floor underneath the mat doesn't offer much of a cushion, the floor carpeting isn't very durable on its own, and floor mats are easier for me to keep clean. I expect my floor mats to get dirty and I expect them to wear down, especially when I wear boots and the heels dig into the mat.

I agree with you as far as Floor Mats are items you use that you should expect wear. But IMO since I think better mats are available...probably in the auto section of your local Big Mart store, at about 1/4th the price, I'd hope for better durability. The rubber on the OEM's seems almost Pencil Eraser soft. I'm NOT tough on my Mats...I try to use care in exiting and entering..and already my drivers mat looks like it has been used as a shield trying to rescue Private Ryan...

Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM
i got some cheapo $10 Walmart mats, kinda stiff, clear like rubber. Had em from my 05 honda civic, probably about 4 years old....still work great, no wear that seems noticable anyway. I also do not use care entering or exiting, i just get in or out however i can.
its floor mats in a car, not a Martha Stewart collectors china cookware set so i don't quite see the point in spending very much money for something like that anyway, OEM fancy looking or not, but thats me.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the OEM carpeted mats for the look, logo and fit(no pun intended). I too am very surprised and disappointed in the poor quality at any price. The all weather mats seem pretty good, and I have not had the carpeted ones in my Fit for that long yet. I will see how they wear.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
you fucking GE owners think that you bought a mercedes or bentley or something. you bought the lowest model HONDA makes.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
you fucking GE owners think that you bought a mercedes or bentley or something. you bought the lowest model HONDA makes.
Which explains the crap carpeting and the fact it didn't come with floor mats, but not the crap floor mats Honda sells for $100.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
OEM all seasons do wear but it wasn't anything unexpected... I'm more annoyed at how quickly the rubber nubs on the pedal kit wore down to the metal area. And those aren't quite as replaceable as mats are.

The carpet in the car is all super cheap, incl. the headliner materials. And the flimsy dinky cover over the spare. At least they cheaped out on the non mechanical aspects for the most part, but not happy that we have to put up with drums in the back (I blame the stupid mandatory TPM sensors for that).

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
OEM all seasons do wear but it wasn't anything unexpected...
how hard are you driving your car? i have 45k miles on my fit and my floormats are just starting to show wear marks on the driver floormat

I'm more annoyed at how quickly the rubber nubs on the pedal kit wore down to the metal area. And those aren't quite as replaceable as mats are.
yes they are

Car Non-Slip Pedal Pad Cover Mugen Sports Racing M/T | eBay

The carpet in the car is all super cheap, incl. the headliner materials. And the flimsy dinky cover over the spare. At least they cheaped out on the non mechanical aspects for the most part
how do you think they sold the car so cheap? have you looked at other cars in the fit's class? they are garbage, especially the american models.

but not happy that we have to put up with drums in the back (I blame the stupid mandatory TPM sensors for that).
this doesn't make sense. drums are cheaper to produce than disc brakes. also, the rear brakes do less than 10% of the braking, so there's no need for 4 pot 15" disc brakes in the rear.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
how hard are you driving your car? i have 45k miles on my fit and my floormats are just starting to show wear marks on the driver floormat
30k and have smooth spot where the heel would grind against the floor mat.

yes they are
Yeah - talking about the Honda accessory ones, they're riveted into place.

how do you think they sold the car so cheap? have you looked at other cars in the fit's class? they are garbage, especially the american models.
Not complaining - just stating a fact of where they obviously chose to cut to keep the price tag down.

this doesn't make sense. drums are cheaper to produce than disc brakes. also, the rear brakes do less than 10% of the braking, so there's no need for 4 pot 15" disc brakes in the rear.
Some parts of the world get rear discs. And what you said is traditionally true, but stuff like EBD actually shifts more braking to the rear brakes. The US mandates tire pressure monitors, I'm sure if they weren't mandated, the cost of those sensors could have gone towards rear discs instead.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
30k and have smooth spot where the heel would grind against the floor mat.

Yeah - talking about the Honda accessory ones, they're riveted into place.

Not complaining - just stating a fact of where they obviously chose to cut to keep the price tag down.

Some parts of the world get rear discs. And what you said is traditionally true, but stuff like EBD actually shifts more braking to the rear brakes. The US mandates tire pressure monitors, I'm sure if they weren't mandated, the cost of those sensors could have gone towards rear discs instead.
lol i dont think so. the 07 fit didnt have tpms and it still has drums

Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
They still wouldn't have given you discs. Here in Canada we don't get the tpms nor the discs.

I, in fact, prefer the drums. Less maintenance in harsh conditions (Canada) and lower costs at service time.

Quick Reply: Crap floor mats