2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Time for aftermarket horns???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Time for aftermarket horns???

So I did the cheap upgrade to the Accord horn a while back. Yes, it is a lower freq than the Fit horn, but I just didn't feel that it was making any difference out on the road. I still wasn't getting the attention of people cutting me off, especially at speed on the interstate where road noise and rolled up windows compound the problem.

A couple of weeks ago I spliced the stock Fit horn together with the Accord horn. Let me tell you, those two horns together have a hideously awful, out-of-tune, obnoxious note. It does seems substantially louder, and it scared the crap out of my wife when I had her test it. We dubbed it "ANGRY HORN" because the pairing sounds so obnoxious.

Well, as if it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, I've since had two very bad close calls at speed and in traffic on the interstate with impatient drivers changing lanes. I laid on ANGRY HORN (holding my lane as long as possible hoping the driver would see me) with good long blasts and barely a twitch from the other driver. I have no way of knowing whether they were "forcing" a small car to make the exception, or really didn't see me. All I know is that neither driver had to leave their lane, but neither driver made a correction.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm thinking an aftermarket upgrade is in order. I know ANGRY HORN is loud as hell, but I don't know how many db's. I'm thinking about buying the Hella Twin Supertone Horn (Hella 003399801) rated at 118db.

Does anyone have any real-world examples of using this horn pair, and how it has saved their ass in some way?

Last edited by Jim2bFit; 07-03-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a couple of drivers' attention with half my twin. I have PIAA dual sport horns. I bought them for the Pathfinder, but "took it back" when I got the Fit. Then I only installed one of the two horns, cause I was too lazy to wire up a relay to get both in.

The dual horns are two separate frequencies. Right now, I'm using the lower tone one in the car.

Here's a pair of comparison clips of the "half" vs the security horn (since I didn't record the original horn). And I'm assuming the security horn is the same as the original horn.

YouTube - Horn comparison of PIAA 400 Hz vs Honda Fit stock security horn

YouTube - Horn comparison two of PIAA 400 Hz vs Honda Fit stock security horn <--- in a parking garage... LOUD!

But there are some a-holes that just plain ignore you still.

Last edited by Goobers; 06-24-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Ive been considering supertones. subscribededdddeded

Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Hella supertones for the win. I've had people pull out infront of me and I'll hit em and I'll get one of two reactions. They either try to cover their ears or jump back in their lane and look at the fit in disbelief that that loud of a noise came from it. Javafit will back me on that. If anyone wants a DIY I was going to make one but never got around to it. I can do it if some one wants it. I have pictures and everything from my install.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Hella supertones for the win. I've had people pull out infront of me and I'll hit em and I'll get one of two reactions. They either try to cover their ears or jump back in their lane and look at the fit in disbelief that that loud of a noise came from it. Javafit will back me on that. If anyone wants a DIY I was going to make one but never got around to it. I can do it if some one wants it. I have pictures and everything from my install.
Hella Supertones FTW, used them 3 times driving home tonight, everyone was like OH SH!T!!! Then saw me blast by lol. Very helpful

Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
'POST IT"... I would like to try them out... Only problem is that the other drivers are usually honking at me for adhering to the posted speed limit
OK, I drive to dayum slo...

Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Lol Vinnymac you and I are polar opposites if you drive slow. I'm a damn speed demon. I blame my mother. Give me a day or two to get it written and what not. I have a lovely physics midterm on Monday that I need to study for and work this weekend. So maybe Sunday afternoon as a break from studying I'll try and get that up for y'all.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
I'm already convinced! I can order them on Amazon for about $52 w/free shipping... It's gonna be a done deal before the end of the day!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
I installed PIAA Sport Horns, 500hz-600hz, a few months ago.

I have had several chances to use them since then. In every instance, they definitely got the idiots attention. I truly think I would have been hit if not for them.

Anything is better than the sad, stock, meep-meep.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Get yourself one of those train horns. You know the ones they mount on a anbulance. Gotta tell ya even a deaf man is going to notice.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Norman99
Get yourself one of those train horns. You know the ones they mount on a ambulance. Gotta tell ya even a deaf man is going to notice.
Believe me, it has crossed my mind... train horn... hmmmmmm

Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Hella Twin Supertone Horns on order

Just got my tracking # for the Hella Twin Supertone Horns I ordered from Amazon. Should be delivered for a July 4th weekend install. Even though horn replacement is a pretty easy mod, I'll take some pics and try to develop a simple DIY along the way. Besides, I need to take pics of my Angry Horn setup before I remove it. Gotta get a couple sound clips of that so I can post a before and after audible comparison.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
OH HELLA YES!!! (I know - LAME)

I installed the Hella Twin Supertone horns yesterday and I have to say, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE ACCORD HORN SWAP! I know it's an inexpensive "upgrade" (I did it too) but it won't get you much compared to these Hella horns. Don't confuse tone with decibels. Here's why...

The Accord horn gets you a different, lower tone, but fewer decibels. The Accord horn is rated at 108dB - it's printed right on the mounting bracket. The stock Fit horn is 110dB, also on the bracket. I had just as many drivers ignore horn blasts from the Accord horn as I did with the stock horn. In fact, I felt like the Accord horn alone was worse! Even using the stock horns together didn't get it done - people ignored that too. It just sounded like a louder meep-meep horn trying to drown out a low powered honk-honk horn.

Neither stock setup comes close to the output of the Hella twins. There is no comparison. The 118db Hella's are MUCH LOUDER (they made my ears ring on testing!) than the two different stock set-ups I've run. And the tones are well matched. It's a rich sound that definitely stands out, like something you'd expect to hear on the autobahn or in a rally car. I fear for the people on the receiving end...NOT!!!

If you're not comfortable with the install (schematic, relay wiring, power, etc.), you should pay someone to do it. There are some fabrication options for the mounting, and you need the female spade terminals, hook-up wire, shrink tubing, tie wraps if you want a semi-professional install job. I didn't put together a DIY, but I took finished product pics...

Last edited by Jim2bFit; 07-03-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added pics of Hella Twin Supertone Horns
Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Nice install

Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
very cool! how does it look with the bumper on?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
did you run power directly to the battery?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
The only issue I see with a loud horn on a small vehicle... is that upon hearing the loud horn another motorist may be looking for a larger vehicle and completely overlook the smaller vehicle.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for loud horns. I had train horns on my semi when I was driving that.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
very cool! how does it look with the bumper on?
You can't even tell they're in there. You really have to look straight through the grill to tell there's something red in there.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
did you run power directly to the battery?
Yes, I used the relay included in the kit, which requires one line to the battery, one to the horn circuit, ground, etc.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
The only issue I see with a loud horn on a small vehicle... is that upon hearing the loud horn another motorist may be looking for a larger vehicle and completely overlook the smaller vehicle.
That in and of itself is the biggest danger in driving a Fit, based on my two years driving one. But I figured that I could give myself a fighting chance and the Hella's are a step in the right direction.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
very cool! i just bought my brother a pair of horns for his birthday next month. gonna order myself a pair too

Quick Reply: Time for aftermarket horns???