2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Fit! Brand New Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Brand New Fit! Brand New Upgrades

Hey all. Just wanted to share some upgrades I've done to my Fit that I purchased last Tuesday.

First thing I did was upgrade the tires. I went with the Hankook H727 205/55/16 size. I haven't noticed any difference in MPG or handling, although I don't drive the car hard, I use it to get to work and back. The one thing I have really noticed since going with the Hankook's are the ride. Ride is much smoother and doesn't seem to drift as much going over 75mph. Stock tires just aren't that great.

I tinted the windows as well - just think it makes the car look nicer.

On the interior, I went with the leather shift knob (for looks), Homelink (with temp and compass), upgraded to a GPS system, Bluetooth, upgraded all 4 speakers (2 tweeters), Amp and a sub. The list below is the technology in my car.

GPS - Pioneer 920BT. I pulled this from my truck. Decent unit for the price - not very good NAV, but much better sound than the Kenwood units IMO. Has a great iPod interface which I really like.

Bluetooth is through the Pioneer head unit. I have the mic located just above the rear view mirror and I've been told it sounds much better than my truck (FJ Cruiser). People say they can hear me fairly well even at highway speeds.

Speakers - Front I have Focal 165-V30s. Amazing speakers for the money. Do understand if you run Focal speakers in this car you need an AMP and a SUB. Do not try to get a lot of base out of Focal speakers as you will be upset with performance. Probably the best high/mid speakers you can buy in a decent price range. In the back I have Alpine SPR60's - good filler speaker IMO.

Sub - JL 90429. I wanted a small sub that hit pretty decent (I mainly listen to rock, classic rock, and hard rock), but I was surprised to see the JL sound so nice with R&R. Typically these are used for more RAP/House music, but the sub sounds really nice. I don't have it turned up too high as I just need filler base due to the Focal speakers in the front. I also wanted something I can remove easily if need be. The whole point of the amp/sub upgrade was to not take away from the functionality of the car.

AMP - Alpine MRX-V60. Pretty decent AMP, not a ton of power, but it powers the Focal speakers and Sub really well. Nice little amp and I had a local company build a box around it to match the interior of the car.

I'm thinking about adding the center console to the Fit as well. The arm rest that comes with the Sport is really uncomfortable and is located way to high on the chair. If anyone has advice I'd love to hear it.

So that's my new car. Let me know what you think or any recommendations. This is the first small car I've had in almost 10 years and I must say I really love it so far. I just filled up today for the first time and it cost $38 and I got 305 miles. Not bad.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice....good work in such a short time

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks! More to come.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Can you elaborate on getting the homelink with temp and compass installed? Looks really good!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM
(Just an FYI in case you didn't already know)

Your new tires are almost an inch taller than stock size. Your speedometer, odometer and corresponding mpg calculations will not be as accurate. Suggest you compare your speedo to a GPS so you don't get a ticket unknowingly going faster than you think. Actual speed will probably be ~5% over your dash display, actual mpg will be ~5% under your dash display.

_

Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM
"Can you elaborate on getting the homelink with temp and compass installed? Looks really good!"

Sure - I just asked my dealer and they had an aftermarket one available. It's nice, but it's loose so I'm taking it back this weekend to tighten the mirror. Everything is covered and they told me if I did it myself it would void their warranty...fair enough, they'll fix for free.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of the tire issue. I've had GPS tracking MPG and MPH. I haven't noticed a huge dip in MPG, but it's really hard to say as I'm only on my second tank right now. Speedo is a bit off, but I expected that due to the size difference. That being said, it's well worth the change. My ride comfort has increased quite a bit and it's a much quieter ride. Like I said in the original post, I'm not driving this car hard at all - so I quite like the ride. Thanks for the heads up though.

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
(Just an FYI in case you didn't already know)

Your new tires are almost an inch taller than stock size. Your speedometer, odometer and corresponding mpg calculations will not be as accurate. Suggest you compare your speedo to a GPS so you don't get a ticket unknowingly going faster than you think. Actual speed will probably be ~5% over your dash display, actual mpg will be ~5% under your dash display.

_

Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by ChicagoFIT
"Can you elaborate on getting the homelink with temp and compass installed? Looks really good!"

Sure - I just asked my dealer and they had an aftermarket one available. It's nice, but it's loose so I'm taking it back this weekend to tighten the mirror. Everything is covered and they told me if I did it myself it would void their warranty...fair enough, they'll fix for free.
Awesome, do you mind sharing how much that upgrade was? Might be worth it for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
PM me for details.

Originally Posted by wvucyclist
Awesome, do you mind sharing how much that upgrade was? Might be worth it for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Congrats on your Fit!

Keep us posted on any more work done on the car.

I still have to wait another 6 weeks before I can get mine.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Did you do a custom order? Or are you saving up the cash?

Originally Posted by DarkHorse72
Congrats on your Fit!

Keep us posted on any more work done on the car.

I still have to wait another 6 weeks before I can get mine.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Forgot to post my picture of the Sub/Amp combo. Haven't come up with a great solution for attaching the sub, but I want to be able to take it out anytime.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6346/ampd.jpg

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
not sure if this matters to you... but you know how to one side of your pictures, there's a bunch of links?

Links to share this image

Embed this image

Embed thumbnails of this image

Image Details
if you click on either embed options, you get various links you can copy and paste to get something like... (use "forum" options, alt forum option isn't working for me in firefox)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^ Full size

And thumbnail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I couldn't find a TW Sport 5MT so I found Valley Honda and they said they will be getting one in but it is currently being built in Japan. Build date was 6/24/11 so I assume 6 weeks until arrival.

They had the best internet price so I'm going to keep on them and make sure they don't tack on any dealer installed bogus packages to jack up the price. I had declined a PMM 5MT that had a Paint Protection package that would have added $300 needlessly.

Where'd you get your car?

I'm going to have to go tint the windows once I get mine. Any good tint shops around chicagoland?

Originally Posted by ChicagoFIT
Did you do a custom order? Or are you saving up the cash?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Hmmm....you may want to check with some of the guys on this forum, or ask your dealer for proof of the order. I heard from multiple dealers that they CANNOT even place orders until the end of August. They have no access to the systems to do builds as the factories are not even taking orders.

I could be wrong, but I heard exactly the same story from 3 dealers I talked with prior to purchasing mine last week.

I purchased from Honda of Kenosha. My wife and I purchased the Odyssey Touring Elite in Feb and got my Fit just last week. They have been great. They have those same packages, but I just negotiate an out the door price that works for me and their package doesn't make a difference.

PM me if you want my contacts information over there. He is a good guy.

Originally Posted by DarkHorse72
I couldn't find a TW Sport 5MT so I found Valley Honda and they said they will be getting one in but it is currently being built in Japan. Build date was 6/24/11 so I assume 6 weeks until arrival.

They had the best internet price so I'm going to keep on them and make sure they don't tack on any dealer installed bogus packages to jack up the price. I had declined a PMM 5MT that had a Paint Protection package that would have added $300 needlessly.

Where'd you get your car?

I'm going to have to go tint the windows once I get mine. Any good tint shops around chicagoland?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Congrats ChicagoFIT for your new FIT and your amazing mods !
Lots of interesting ideas from you...

As I assumed you may be from Chicago, you may be interested to check out a link posted by another poster regarding the prevalence of stolen FIT wheels particularly in Chicago. I attached the url link at the end of this post

I took the precaution of installing lock nuts, one in each wheel plus install a shock sensor alarm to augment my FIT's on board alarm if thieves use brute force to hit my lock nuts, the alarm will go off.. hope this will deter thieves a little

Again, congrats

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ls-stolen.html

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks! I'm going to get locks for sure!

Originally Posted by Ric01
Congrats ChicagoFIT for your new FIT and your amazing mods !
Lots of interesting ideas from you...

As I assumed you may be from Chicago, you may be interested to check out a link posted by another poster regarding the prevalence of stolen FIT wheels particularly in Chicago. I attached the url link at the end of this post

I took the precaution of installing lock nuts, one in each wheel plus install a shock sensor alarm to augment my FIT's on board alarm if thieves use brute force to hit my lock nuts, the alarm will go off.. hope this will deter thieves a little

Again, congrats

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ls-stolen.html

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Just installed the Honda center console today. Wow! What a HUGE difference that makes. If anyone needs an extra arm rest - let me know.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Ray W

Can someone tell me the correct tyre pressures for Honda Jazz tyre size 185-55-16

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ray W
Can someone tell me the correct tyre pressures for Honda Jazz tyre size 185-55-16
It should be on your Door Jamb I believe it is 33psi. It's also in the back of your manual.

~SB

Quick Reply: Brand New Fit! Brand New Upgrades