2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Noob: Thinking about buying a Fit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Noob: Thinking about buying a Fit.

UPDATE: We purchased a Vortex Blue Pearl on July 22, 2011. I ended up going with the Nav unit and did not purchase any dealer accessories because they cost so much from the dealer. Going to purchase from Majestic/College Honda instead.

Original Post:
So I'm sick of getting 13 mpg in my Suburban all over town and I'm going to be purchasing a second car (gotta keep the Suburban to pull the boat).

Anyway, I've pretty much settled on the Fit after looking at all of the subcomp/compacts out there and this will be my first Honda ever. The question now becomes: What options do I get from the factor?

I am a gear head and I have modified many cars before (the last was a 2000 MR2 Spyder with a 2ZZ-GE engine + 6 speed swap before that was all American) so I don't mind doing some work myself. The key is 1) I want to enjoy the car in a sporty fashion and 2) I want to keep the gas mileage good.

I have always wanted a car with built-in navigation and I find it intriguing but I hate that I cannot get a 5-speed with it. Should I opt for the Mugen upgrades from the factor? They seem kinda pricey but if they are like TRD then they are much higher quality than the aftermarket.

Last edited by TBKHomeworld; 07-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
I personally would go for the mugen edition.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
and an aftermarket nav unit. The dash trim piece to accommodate double DIN units is available through aftermarket sellers. Check Crutchfield.com. For the price of the Honda unit, there are many nice alternatives.

The Fit is going to feel pretty visceral coming down from a Suburban.

This version, the GE has only been out for a couple years. Aftermarket add-ons are limited. The prior generation, the GD was out worldwide since what, 2003? If performance modifications are your cuppa, you may be disappointed in the GE, at least for a few more years.

Edit: there really aren't any factory options available. It's either in the Base or Sport trim versions. There are some dealer add-ons that you might want to know about. Best site is College Hills Honda to see these online (and much better prices than you can get on the showroom floor).

Last edited by Steve244; 07-21-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
If having a stick is your cup of tea, then definitely just adding an aftermarket nav unit is a good option. The only thing you'll lose is the steering wheel control.

As for the mugen stuff, its a pricey bit of plastic imo. But it isn't a factory option but a dealer installed option, which means you could install it yourself.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
and an aftermarket nav unit. The dash trim piece to accommodate double DIN units is available through aftermarket sellers. Check Crutchfield.com. For the price of the Honda unit, there are many nice alternatives.

The Fit is going to feel pretty visceral coming down from a Suburban.

This version, the GE has only been out for a couple years. Aftermarket add-ons are limited. The prior generation, the GD was out worldwide since what, 2003? If performance modifications are your cuppa, you may be disappointed in the GE, at least for a few more years.
That is what I keep reading about the nav unit. The performance aspect isn't something I'm too concerned about, since it is a Honda I plan on keeping it forever and eventually there will be something out there. I just didn't know if there was something I REALLY should get from the factory. IE - The center arm rest is something I am highly interested in!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
All accessories are dealer installed options so you might as well DIY the installs and buy the accessories cheap online. Sometimes an odd tool or something is required (installed pedal inserts required me buying a rivet tool) but its all pretty much something anyone could install.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as far as adding a nav, you can check out crutchfield, etc and find a new bezel for your Fit and add a doubledin nav unit. that would be the cleanest way to go about that + have 5MT...hell, even add a rearview camera while you're at it.

for sportyness definitely get the 5MT. GL!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed with most everything above.

go for the MUGEN if you like it. It gives the car a unique look and as others have said, there's not much in the way of aftermarket support.

I'd get the MUGEN kit installed by the dealer to get it under warranty/in on the payments, especially if you get a low APR. Other accessories like the armrest, I'd install it yourself.

I'd get an aftermarket HU with NAV and good iPod control from Crutchfield. (PM me for a referral code if you've never bought there before - I think it's $20 off) You'll get better iPod control, Bluetooth, upgradable NAV, backup camera, etc...

~SB

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
SOB
I just purchased my 2011 Fit Sport and couldn't be happier! This is my first Honda too, coming from a handful of Mustangs. The last being a 450whp 03 Cobra. Anyways, I opted for the automatic with paddle shifters and I'd say it's just as much fun to drive as a stick shift.

IMO, I'd hold off on all the Mugen stuff. To me they seem like a big waste of money. The Fit is not a performance car and even with mods it's not going to be a rush to drive. Its up to you, but I would stay away from modding an econobox.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
It's a rush every time I leave the office and power into the turn leaving the parking deck.

Or it might be the effect of leaving work.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Only consider a Fit if you're determined to get the best gas mileage for a low cost investment.

Seriously though, I bought one with a few thousand miles on it in March and haven't looked back.

Neither has my wallet!!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SOB
I just purchased my 2011 Fit Sport and couldn't be happier! I opted for the automatic with paddle shifters and I'd say it's just as much fun to drive as a stick shift.

that is just so untrue! (i hate the AT on the GE's... mine's a 09 with AT) but congrats.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
manual is fun - no comments on teh auto

Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, I ended up buying one today. Got a blue sport with navigation, the navigation won out with the controls more than the 5speed. So far I am having fun with the manual mode on the transmission.

I didn't get the Mugen parts from the dealer I bought it from as they were ULTRA pricey. They are much cheaper from College and I will just order them from there.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
hey congrats TBK.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TBKHomeworld
Well, I ended up buying one today. Got a blue sport with navigation, the navigation won out with the controls more than the 5speed. So far I am having fun with the manual mode on the transmission.

I didn't get the Mugen parts from the dealer I bought it from as they were ULTRA pricey. They are much cheaper from College and I will just order them from there.
I would pass on Collegehills and head to majestichonda.com online parts. Their Mugen price is better; even with handling and shipping fees, it's still cheaper than Collegehills.

Last edited by Neebs; 07-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Neebs
I would pass on Collegehills and head to majestichonda.com online parts. Their Mugen price is better; even with handling and shipping fees, it's still cheaper than Collegehills.

None of them seem to have it in Vortex Blue Pearl. Looks like I got some poking around to do.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM
None of them seem to have it in Vortex Blue Pearl. Looks like I got some poking around to do.
After spending a crazy amount of time looking for the Mugen parts in Vortex Blue I have figured out they don't have them. Sure, I could buy them bare and custom paint them but they would never match 100%.

Oh well, such is life. Now to get the other mods I want!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
So I'm sick of getting 13 mpg in my Suburban all over town and I'm going to be purchasing a second car (gotta keep the Suburban to pull the boat).

Anyway, I've pretty much settled on the Fit after looking at all of the subcomp/compacts out there and this will be my first Honda ever. The question now becomes: What options do I get from the factor?

I am a gear head and I have modified many cars before (the last was a 2000 MR2 Spyder with a 2ZZ-GE engine + 6 speed swap before that was all American) so I don't mind doing some work myself. The key is 1) I want to enjoy the car in a sporty fashion and 2) I want to keep the gas mileage good.

I have always wanted a car with built-in navigation and I find it intriguing but I hate that I cannot get a 5-speed with it. Should I opt for the Mugen upgrades from the factor? They seem kinda pricey but if they are like TRD then they are much higher quality than the aftermarket.

replace the wheels and tires first, then if you have a need lower about 1.5" with good shock/spring kit, preferably adjustable.. If you want truly improved handling disconnect the front antisway bar to reduce the massive understeer. (guess you think your Sub understeers, wait'll you crank your fit into a hard racetrack turn). Or you can just add a rear bar but be prepared to lose some cornering speed unless you stiffen the shocks/springs too.
Finally, sure you can't get nav with manual? And if you can't and gotta have nav be prepared to get your kicks with those pb paddles; make you feel like Vettal.
And if you can't, the Garmin 1350 with lifetime upgrades for $150 at WallyWorld is a better gps anyway so then you can have both gps and manual.
cheers and good luck from an old 75 yr old gearhead refugee from the track.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM

My advice - skip the overpriced Mugen stuff (it looks like but the cost is way out of line0 and the factory NAV. Put in a good aftermarket NAV and you're way ahead.

Quick Reply: Noob: Thinking about buying a Fit.