2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Upgrading to a Fit

Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Upgrading to a Fit

I currently own a manual '02 Civic LX, which I've loved, but the repairs are starting to be more than the value of the car. The EPA mileage for my car is 33/39 and I was able to get 44 on a long-distance trip.

I love the look of the 2011 Fit, as well as the cargo capacity. I thought the base AT Fit would give the best gas mileage, based on the EPA estimates, but after looking through many posts and various websites, I'm thinking the MT Sport might be a better choice.

I'm really looking for the model that is going to give me the best gas mileage overall. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think the AT will do better mpg than the MT just from the gearing. unless you do more surface road driving.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
The at is designed to be a bit better on the interstate; the mt should be a bit better in city driving. So it's all about what you plan to do. All that said, the two are close enough that it's hard to say that one is absolutely better. If you like mt then get that; the difference in cost of gas per 1000 miles is pretty minimal.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
The Fit MT is one of the best in the business.
It makes getting all that is available from the engine and chassis fun and engaging.
The paddle shifters are decent, and great for people without a left leg.
If you want a highway cruiser go look at any of Toyota/Scion's blandmobiles. Or a new Civic for that matter.

Be prepared to wait for a new MT to be available at the dealership of your choosing though, they are sometimes hard to be found.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I appreciate the advice. I probably do 50/50 with city/highway driving, although I take the highway when I can. I am going to try to test drive a mt again before I make a final decision, but thought it had less pep than my '02 mt civic when I first test drove it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Might want to check out a '12 Civic too... the fuel economy on those beats the Fit. But the Fit does have a lot of utility/carrying capacity.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Neteng101-I considered the Civic, but it is #12 on Consumer Reports' ratings and they are no longer recommending it as a car to buy. It's sad because I've loved my Civc.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
The 2012 Civic is an absolute POS. Honda's build quality is going to crap.

Get the 5MT. The 5AT is rated better, but the car has to work harder to get up to speed, and acceleration is where the majority of gas is used.

And the 5MT is a lot more fun.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
The 2012 Civic is an absolute POS. Honda's build quality is going to crap.
Drank much CR koolaid?

The Fit is pretty much as bargain bin as Honda gets too.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not drinking CR Kool-Aid. CR writers aren't the only people who think that.

Go on Honda-Tech.

One guy works for Roadfly. He is the biggest Honda fanboi I've ever seen.

Even he says he'll never consider the 2012 Civic.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
better gas mileage = "Stick"

Last edited by phenoyz; 08-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Even he says he'll never consider the 2012 Civic.
A lot of people are probably surprised Honda didn't do more for the revision, but its hardly a bad car... its a story about expectations and a different direction that Honda chose.

The car is hardly a POS... that you even choose to use such a description shows a total lack of being rational.

If you look at the 2012 Civic and say its a total POS, I'd shudder to think what you'd have to say about the Fit... which has a ton of cheap plastics, no soft touch anything, a bumpier ride than the Civic, cheap ass suspension, rear drum brakes, etc... if one wants to criticize the Civic that way, the Fit would be, I don't know, toilet paper for the POS?

The Fit has tons of room, utility, a lower price tag, but its nowhere near the Civic even in many ways, including the excellent fuel economy of the 2012 Civics.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
A lot of people are probably surprised Honda didn't do more for the revision, but its hardly a bad car... its a story about expectations and a different direction that Honda chose.

The car is hardly a POS... that you even choose to use such a description shows a total lack of being rational.

If you look at the 2012 Civic and say its a total POS, I'd shudder to think what you'd have to say about the Fit... which has a ton of cheap plastics, no soft touch anything, a bumpier ride than the Civic, cheap ass suspension, rear drum brakes, etc... if one wants to criticize the Civic that way, the Fit would be, I don't know, toilet paper for the POS?

The Fit has tons of room, utility, a lower price tag, but its nowhere near the Civic even in many ways, including the excellent fuel economy of the 2012 Civics.
Agreed. People said the 2001-5 Civic was a POS as it wasn't a huge style improvement - some said it was a step backwards. Then there was going away from the suspension that made the 96-00 civic so great. The Magazines tore into the 01 civic. then the 06 came out and it was such a revolution that the magazines raved. Here we are again with a not so drastic change because Honda chose the conservative route. It's still a great car, not a POS.

As for the FIT. The economy difference is minimal between auto & Manual. The best thing you can do is find out what your average speed is on a regular commute. Mine is about 45 and I have a lifetime Average of about 38mpg. I've been as high as 44mpg and as low as 29mpg. My regular commute nets me in good weather around 41mpg as I don't have to use the A/C much. If your average speed is 60-70, then the auto will probably be better for you as you'll see the benefits of the Auto. (FYI Garmin GPS has an avg mph function - that's how I know mine) The Manual likes lower speeds and you'll see the benefits as well as a little more fun factor. The auto likes highway cruising.

The fit will likely have a little less pep than your civic. it had a 1.7L engine vs the Fit's 1.5 so less torque and your HP number will drop from the civic by about 15 I think both weigh the same amount. That said, the fit is a fun tossable vehicle. I went from a 270hp altima SE to the Fit and Can't be happier. doesn't have the power but it reminded me why I like to drive.

~SB

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
If your average speed is 60-70, then the auto will probably be better for you as you'll see the benefits of the Auto.
Can't say I'm much of a fan of the auto which is the Fit I have... its rather gutless unless you absolutely floor it, and there's no way to keep it in a certain gear when in manumatic mode either. I had an '02 RSX auto, that car was a blast to drive... the Fit is ligher and while not as powerful, I still thought it might have a bit more to offer. Decent mpg, but I've not gotten anywhere near what some have reported... probably 32mpg average over 30,000 miles, but that's less highway, more country roads overall.

I believe the stick is the better choice for a fun ride.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to test drive a m/t tomorrow as long as it is still there.

Specboy- thanks for the explanation of the engine differences between the Civic and the Fit. Just out of curiosity, do you have an auto or manual? Your mpg is impressive.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101

Look at the 2012 Civic interior.

Report back.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
better gas mileage = "Stick"
Of course manual will get the better mileage. It is more efficient and loses less energy. Torque converter and a lot more fluid in the automatic means more losses and worse fuel economy.

I got 51-52 mpg on my 5 MT (by the meter). 47 (calculated). Rural roads though...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah......not going to believe those numbers, sorry.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
That's up to you. I couldn't believe them either until it became consistent. This was on my trip to yellowstone, WY from LA going by rural hwys through utah, idaho, etc. Here are some pics of the instrument cluster.
Name:  IMG_3794.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4023.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3833.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  59.9 KB

Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Just buy a Taffy White Auto Sport and be done with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading to a Fit