2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Start-up engine stumble

Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Thank goodness your wrong or else you would explode after drinking. Vaporization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'scuse me? What's your point? That you don't know the difference between evaporation and boiling?

Water evaporates at room temperature (and will at lower temps until freezing at which point it will sublimate). Water boils at sea level is 212F. Ethanol boils at 172 degrees. Gasoline boils between 100 and 400 degrees depending on the blend. I bet it's north of 200 degrees or your gas tank would boil over out in the parking lot.

Now run to DSM for a hug.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
And your posts oooze Qi.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
going back to my original post, just crank longer. this is normal.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I was buying my gas at Exxon and the pumps have a sign "may contain up to 10% ethanol". When I was using that gas is when I experienced the delayed starts...always the first start of the day and there was always the ethanol smell during warm up.

I started buying gas at a local independent gas station and they have no sign stating it may contain ethanol. My car now using this gas will turn over first crank and I no longer have the smell on warm up.

I'm convinced it's the gas/ethanol blend that caused my delayed starts.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
So um, no name gas?

Why do you think other cars don't hesitate/stumble at cold start running ethanol (E10)? I have two, another Honda and a Toyota neither of which exhibit this behavior running the same brand/grade gasoline.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I have other vehicles that act the same way and I never paid it much thought until others on ff had the same issue...a hesitant start the first start of the day. The rest of the day it fires up almost instantaneously. I went from e10 to straight gas and it went away. Yes, it could be coincidence and could be something else. Its not that big of a deal, but long term use of ethanol could be.

I am happy for you everything is unicorns and rainbows in the world of steve244 and you have never experienced what many on the ff members have.

I go to a well maintained small chain of gas stations where I buy straight 93 octane. I'm not sure if that fits into "no name gas". My Fit seems to like it well.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kirinzon
I have other vehicles that act the same way and I never paid it much thought until others on ff had the same issue...a hesitant start the first start of the day. The rest of the day it fires up almost instantaneously. I went from e10 to straight gas and it went away. Yes, it could be coincidence and could be something else. Its not that big of a deal, but long term use of ethanol could be.

I am happy for you everything is unicorns and rainbows in the world of steve244 and you have never experienced what many on the ff members have.

I go to a well maintained small chain of gas stations where I buy straight 93 octane. I'm not sure if that fits into "no name gas". My Fit seems to like it well.
Sorry, unicorn breath, my Fit stumbles at cold start just like everyone else's except yours it seems. The accepted "fix" is to crank for an extra 250ms and not switch to no-name ethyl. Good luck with that.

It's just that every other fuel injected car I've owned, going back to a 78 Scirocco had silky smooth starts cold. It's one of the advantages of fuel injection over carburation. This includes the current stable (98 V6 Camry, 03 V6 Accord) that both sip 87 e10. It seems Honda has tuned the GE Fit at cold start discouraging immediate starting. The most likely reason is new emissions standards.

It's interesting though how those with cherished octane beliefs are so quick to resort to personal insults. Not you (I kinda like the unicorn/rainbow image). Seems unbalanced. But then paying a premium for placebos goes with the territory.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-20-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow! You can have your own gas pump there? And you can blend your own concoction of fuel? Is that legal? I dont mean any disrespect or anything.. Just curious, cause here the fuel are tightly (but badly) regulated... So no privateer gas pump...

Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM
It's funny how some are all the sudden worried about the manners of others after being a complete douche on multiple occasions.

Fancy that.

Why is anyone still responding to this twat waffle?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
It's funny how some are all the sudden worried about the manners of others after being a complete douche on multiple occasions.

Fancy that.

Why is anyone still responding to this twat waffle?
You seem to be. No worries; you can be as big a douche as you wish... (your ignore function seems to be broken).

Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Awww

It still wants attention. This is all I see:

Quite nice really, takes a lot of the insolence and stupid out of FF.net. I'm not gonna click "view post" so keep flailing away.

Another forum I'm on had a user that continually made inflammatory and uneducated posts just for the sake of creating an argument routinely put on a universal ignore for a couple months. Except it didn't even show he had posted.

After like 90 days they removed the blinders so everyone could see his "missing" posts and he just spent day after day making vitriolic comments and frothing at the mouth to people who couldn't even see him.

It was epic.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kodok3ribu
Wow! You can have your own gas pump there? And you can blend your own concoction of fuel? Is that legal? I dont mean any disrespect or anything.. Just curious, cause here the fuel are tightly (but badly) regulated... So no privateer gas pump...
Fuel is regulated here. The federal Environmental Protection Agency has standards for gasoline and diesel. Each state has it's own standards which may be higher. Some metropolitan areas fall into special EPA zones due to pollution. For these to receive federal funds to build roads they must adhere to EPA rules for blending oxygenates with gasoline (ethanol (ethyl alcohol) being the leading one today) and other measures (special filler nozzles being one).

Most fuel is piped from refineries hundreds or thousands of miles away. Local distribution centers offload the fuel to tanker trucks for delivery to gas stations. The distribution center adds ethanol as required by the EPA, or to satisfy the vendor's requirements. Most vendors add ethanol even if it isn't required because of financial incentives. Some do not, as there is a smaller market of people that don't want it in their cars. These are usually small gas stations not affiliated with any of the big oil companies.

It is possible to buy fuel for off-road use (racing fuel, for example) that is not regulated. It's expensive, so little makes it to cars used on the road regularly.

Some people have their own gas pumps and storage tanks, but outside of farmers and Jay Leno I don't know any.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Check compression, mine needed rings....

Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Check compression, mine needed rings....
This sends shivers through my soul...

Any good deals on VWs?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I have not yet gotten to the point of recommending most VWs lol.... I have a 2011 TDI Jetta now and really do like it but the cars are nowhere near as reliable as the FIT. From a driveability perspective I do like the TDI, my average fuel economy is ridiculous and the car is powerful and refined. The powertrain is an outrageously advanced unit between the TDI common rail engine and my car's DSG trans. The rest of the car is a Mexican built crap-shoot; some seem great, others have a multitude of build quality issues.

I do miss my Fit sometimes, the flexibility and practicality of the package is really hard to beat and the car was fun to drive when power wasn't needed.

b

Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Spelling was not my major and I know more about fuels and engines then you with your bad manners.

Ethanol vaporizes at 172 degrees which is not the temperature at start up with a cold motor. 10 percent ethanol is a lot if that is all that is in the injectors and fuel line due to heat soak when you shut the motor off. Ethanol cools so it wont vaporize in cold combustion chamber so it puddles and puts out the fire.
Very interesting note about ethanol, which is hard to avoid these days. I know alcohol burns much cooler, it has less BTU heat energy, so a stumble-start might explain the phenomenon. At high temps after being driven, it isn't an issue.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I love alcohols for race fuels. But I am not so excited for the proposed E15, unless they tweak the "light ends" in the gas mix for better cold start.

Crank that compression and up the alky content and there is no problem.

Consumption would be through the roof however. Lambda 1.0 for Gas is ~14.7:1, and for E85 your looking at closer to ~9.8:1.

(14.7-9.8)/14.7 = ~33% more fuel just to idle and cruise around. On a compression intended for gasoline you can lean out a bit more than lambda 1.0, but on an alky comp engine not so much..

You would not be able to run gas in the alky comp. motor without knocking like a sonovabitch though.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I love alcohols for race fuels. But I am not so excited for the proposed E15, unless they tweak the "light ends" in the gas mix for better cold start.

Crank that compression and up the alky content and there is no problem.

Consumption would be through the roof however. Lambda 1.0 for Gas is ~14.7:1, and for E85 your looking at closer to ~9.8:1.

(14.7-9.8)/14.7 = ~33% more fuel just to idle and cruise around. On a compression intended for gasoline you can lean out a bit more than lambda 1.0, but on an alky comp engine not so much..

You would not be able to run gas in the alky comp. motor without knocking like a sonovabitch though.
Well said, the distillation of ethanol is the same compared to other properties of gasoline which has a curve of a finish product, light ends burn first and produce heat which vaporize the rest of the fuel. This is what people dont understand. Ethanol is added to lower Co because it dont burn complete right away and exits the exhaust as ethanol which is clean and lowers emissions.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Utter crap, bullet.

Ethanol burns in such a way to reduce CO by causing more compete combustion. It doesn't pass through "unburned." If it did this would increase hydrocarbon emissions.

Use of a 10% ethanol blend results in a 25-30% reduction in carbon monoxide emissions by promoting a more complete combustion of the fuel.

link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start-up engine stumble