2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post - Potential Future Owner - Couple of Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The one thing that sets the Fit apart from the other autos is it has 5 speeds. So it's going to work the gears more.
5ATs are rather common nowadays... the Fit isn't special in this regard, other than the wimpy engine that is tied to the 5AT. Other Honda 5ATs (02 RSX, 07 Accord) I've driven doesn't hunt constantly the way the Fit does on highways, but of course they were mated to better engines. Can't imagine how much hunting a 6AT would do... but a 6MT would be a fun addition in a Fit I suspect.

Grade logic as you mentioned does work really well in the Fit AT though for steep hills. Not new technology though, Honda has had this for years.

I found the best way to keep the Fit AT from shifting down on highways is to simply avoid using cruise, and feather the throttle with adjustments as needed.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dangs
Thanks for the input!

On a side note, a CVT is one transmission I can say for certain that I will never own. I hate the way CVTs feel....it makes the car feel so unresponsive and dead. It adds a "mushy" feeling to everything.

Luckily we don't live in a very high-traffic area, so stop-and-go isn't really a big part of our day to day lives. I'm about 50/50 between the manual/auto right now, although I need to go personally drive an auto again which will help me figure out if I am OK with it or not.

I have heard light talk from people about Honda having trouble making quality automatic transmissions, but I think this mostly applied to Honda Accords from a couple of years ago. Has anyone on these forums reported much along the line of transmission problems in Fits?
Well, there's a guy here who drained his tranny when he meant to change the crankcase oil and drove off in it. It lived to tell the tale.

There are Honda transmission stories that revolve around the early (1999-2002?) 2nd gen Odyssey's built on the Accord platform. Those failed at a high rate. The V6s, extra weight, and heat did them in. I think they're fine now.

I owned a 1st gen '97 Odyssey (4cyl) and it went 225K without any transmission issues (and yes, it had grade logic too). It did need CV joints at about 150K but that's pretty normal for any car (and not a function of the type transmission).

Some guy here was running Fits in his courier business. He ran over 200K without any issues (I think his were autos).

Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
When the navi also got you steering audio controls and vsa, it was at least arguably worth it.
When I got my '09, the Navi package was the only way to get VSA, and steering wheel audio controls, since I got an MT and saved a little to me it made sense to get the Navi/VSA/audio controls package, especially b/c the audio controls is a big thing for me. All along I knew that in the future (~4-5 yrs) I'd be upgrading the Navi to a better unit, and I wanted to use the factory audio controls.
Now that VSA & audio controls are available in the Sport, I'd probably have gotten that. Unless they added the rear view camera in addition to the Bluetooth (which they added), but for $1800 you can get all those features, and the DVD playback in a great top aftermarket unit, and have them wire up the stock sport audio controls.

The 2012's Navi's are Satellite-Linked? as opposed to our older DVD based?

As mentioned the MT is probably the easiest to teach someone on, but my gf couldn't handle it, will try again in the future, but she really wishes it was an AT. you gotta decide with your wife on that one. When I bought mine I had to wait just over 4 months to get my MT w/Navi, although MT's are still relatively rare, in the other thread the OP said they will only have a 1 month wait... I'd double check.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've never actually tried the emergency brake trick to prevent rolling backwards. That might be really helpful though if I need to teach my wife, I think I understand the general concept of it and it might make her a lot more comfortable if she ever has to stop on a steep hill. Do you just hold the parking brake on with your finger still on the button, then do your normal start (clutch slowly out, gas slowly on) while releasing it?
that's right. It's standard procedure unless by some miracle the car has a "hill holding" feature (the Fit doesn't).

Last edited by Steve244; 09-15-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
When I got my '09, the Navi package was the only way to get VSA, and steering wheel audio controls, since I got an MT and saved a little to me it made sense to get the Navi/VSA/audio controls package, especially b/c the audio controls is a big thing for me. All along I knew that in the future (~4-5 yrs) I'd be upgrading the Navi to a better unit, and I wanted to use the factory audio controls.
Now that VSA & audio controls are available in the Sport, I'd probably have gotten that. Unless they added the rear view camera in addition to the Bluetooth (which they added), but for $1800 you can get all those features, and the DVD playback in a great top aftermarket unit, and have them wire up the stock sport audio controls.

The 2012's Navi's are Satellite-Linked? as opposed to our older DVD based?

As mentioned the MT is probably the easiest to teach someone on, but my gf couldn't handle it, will try again in the future, but she really wishes it was an AT. you gotta decide with your wife on that one. When I bought mine I had to wait just over 4 months to get my MT w/Navi, although MT's are still relatively rare, in the other thread the OP said they will only have a 1 month wait... I'd double check.

See, that's my only fear. My wife HAS to be able to drive this car as well, to be prepared for days when I need the extra storage space of the Outback, or in the event of an emergency. It's very rare when we would need to swap cars, but it'll definitely happen at some point.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Leno did a vid on the Fiat 500. It looks interesting (and has a hill holder!). If a two door hatch trips your trigger it's worth a look.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
See, that's my only fear. My wife HAS to be able to drive this car as well, to be prepared for days when I need the extra storage space of the Outback, or in the event of an emergency. It's very rare when we would need to swap cars, but it'll definitely happen at some point.
Might be safer to just go with the auto then in this case... the manual sounds like its a much better fit for you personally but may not be so hot for your wife. If she's not too dexterity challenged and is willing to learn though, then she probably could pick up driving a stick shift easily enough (she might even like it and want to drive it more)... but it takes a willing person to make the whole process go well.

Btw on the navi - I'm not sure if the 2012 navi is flash based, but if it is, it should be more responsive/quicker than the previous DVD based Honda navis. Always nice to have it integrated, though I believe some have had good success with adding aftermarket units for much less on their own.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Leno did a vid on the Fiat 500. It looks interesting (and has a hill holder!). If a two door hatch trips your trigger it's worth a look.
Unfortunately, 4 doors is a must-have for us, regardless of which car we choose. We used to own a MINI, and we do like the Fiat a lot, but it wouldn't be practical for us right now.

Originally Posted by neteng101
Might be safer to just go with the auto then in this case... the manual sounds like its a much better fit for you personally but may not be so hot for your wife. If she's not too dexterity challenged and is willing to learn though, then she probably could pick up driving a stick shift easily enough (she might even like it and want to drive it more)... but it takes a willing person to make the whole process go well.

Btw on the navi - I'm not sure if the 2012 navi is flash based, but if it is, it should be more responsive/quicker than the previous DVD based Honda navis. Always nice to have it integrated, though I believe some have had good success with adding aftermarket units for much less on their own.
I'm a pretty patient teacher, and I think I could teach her to do it. She's actually reading along following the responses to this thread and trying to decide whether or not she is willing

Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the car seat topic that might be of interest to her and you...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hild-seat.html

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Well, it is a fact women are shifting challenged...

Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Here's the car seat topic that might be of interest to her and you...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hild-seat.html
Thank you!!!!!!! This is actually VERY reassuring and helpful

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Couple more quick questions!

1) Are the OEM "sport pedals" worth it on the MT?
2) Is the interior illumination worth it?
3) Why can't you get the optional armrest with the manual transmission model? Has anyone added one in anyways?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
About a month

You ordered a 2012 Sport MT? Did they happen to quote you an expected date of delivery?????

I've never actually tried the emergency brake trick to prevent rolling backwards. That might be really helpful though if I need to teach my wife, I think I understand the general concept of it and it might make her a lot more comfortable if she ever has to stop on a steep hill. Do you just hold the parking brake on with your finger still on the button, then do your normal start (clutch slowly out, gas slowly on) while releasing it?
Dealer told me about a month on receiving the 2012. I ordered it on Monday (9-12).

You described the process with the emergency brake perfectly. It really helps on steep inclines and when some climbs up your tailpipe at the light.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member

3) Why can't you get the optional armrest with the manual transmission model? Has anyone added one in anyways?

1) you can get mugens on ebay for the same price the dealer charges for their sport pedal covers. (yes these are probably just look alikes but they are the same ones I have and I love them) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mugen...item415a625bd6
2) NO FLAT OUT NO, I did my own illumination 2 LEDs and resistors wired to the fuse panel, cost me all of $6 in materials VS $80 for the dealer one.
3) Then center console/armrest OEM which runs around $175 is the best bet for this, the small one on the seat is annoying at best. (2012 may not fit this one, but probably will) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item1c1eaec715

I know you read something on child seats but I carry my daughter around and have for the past 2 years in my Fit and the Fit is EASY to put in a car seat and it has plenty of ways you can do just that.

As for the stick thing, your wife should know how to drive one I guess it's just me but I have always known both, as does my 18yr old daughter and when my 3 yr old starts driving she will know both. And I would definitely wait for a 2012, the sound deadening (road noise) was supposedly addressed finally and believe me it is an issue from 07-11 models.

Last edited by Fit4Spl; 09-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
1) you can get mugens on ebay for the same price the dealer charges for their sport pedal covers. (yes these are probably just look alikes but they are the same ones I have and I love them) Mugen Anti slip Pedal cover fit Honda M/T | eBay
2) NO FLAT OUT NO, I did my own illumination 2 LEDs and resistors wired to the fuse panel, cost me all of $6 in materials VS $80 for the dealer one.
3) Then center console/armrest OEM which runs around $175 is the best bet for this, the small one on the seat is annoying at best. (2012 may not fit this one, but probably will) 2009 2010 2011 Honda Fit NEW Drivers Side Armrest OEM | eBay

I know you read something on child seats but I carry my daughter around and have for the past 2 years in my Fit and the Fit is EASY to put in a car seat and it has plenty of ways you can do just that.

As for the stick thing, your wife should know how to drive one I guess it's just me but I have always known both, as does my 18yr old daughter and when my 3 yr old starts driving she will know both. And I would definitely wait for a 2012, the sound deadening (road noise) was supposedly addressed finally and believe me it is an issue from 07-11 models.

Thanks a ton!

I'll check out the mugen's on eBay, and skip the illumination.

Do you (or anyone else) know why the armrest accessory on Honda.com says "not for use on models with manual transmission"? Will they not install this for me if I buy a manual? Or is there something else about it that I am missing that would prevent me from using it?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
As far back as the armrest mounts I don't see a reason why they wouldn't, and if they won't the install is not hard at all, I would have one if I had a job atm :P

Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member

1)I'd wait till the OEM rubber pedals wear out first (after almost 3 yrs mine show very little sign of wear). If you do get them order it from collegehillshonda.com - better prices. Or I might get the Mugen ones, if I have any extra $$$.

2)If you like footwell illumination, yea. It's up to you. I've seen some great mods to that illumination kit which add LED's in other areas (cupholders, glove compartments, etc)
perfect example see link ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...umination.html this mod alone made me want to get them, haven't yet, but probably will in the future after my main mods list whittles down a bit.

3) you can, Honda supposedly didn't recommend it b/c it might get in the way of shifting, but everyone who has the center console armrest has no problems shifting MT. I got one on my MT, and couldn't possibly imagine the car without it. But definitely install it yourself, there's plenty of DIY's on this site, and the web, and you'll save yourself $$$.

see mine installed below

The problem was that Honda said it might interfere with shifting, as you can see with the top of the armrest fully extended it doesn't come close to interfering with shifting. Pulling the parking brake is slightly different b/c on my older cars I'd pull it straight up, but with the armrest I've gotten used to pulling it up from the side, don't even notice it anymore it's become second nature.

OEM Honda accesory center console/armrest, but I had bought a custom cover (and parking brake cover) to match the shift knob/boot.

damn my pics are old, that's before the matching Clazzio seat covers were installed (black leather/red stitch to match), definitely get the Clazzio seat covers, it cover's up that ugly dust magnet fabric we have on our seats, and makes cleaning up baby messes a cinch. speaking of which many, many people use the fit with child seats, and have no problems. I've used em several times as well and its easy, and safe.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
1st welcome to the forums, as to A/T or M/T I would do two things since both you and the wife will be driving this car. See if you can teach her a little in another car just to make sure shes ok with it.2nd go for the M/T both my wife and I own M/T and my roommate owns a A/T to us its almost night and day(but thats just us others may say diff.). As for the 2012 Fit only be A/T at moment is because of the earthquake in Japan or so says my dealer here in FL told me. Anyway Good Luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
MT? You people do know this is the 21st century?

That is what America needs a car without power steering, no power brakes, three speed on the column transmission a Bermuda bell and one of those JC Whitney floor mount heaters!

Buggy whip anyone?

Welcome, the Fit is a great car. JIm 0311

Tubes anyone

Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Now now, Jim. Some people need to feel like they're helping the car get to where they're going.

Now where's that manual spark advance?

Chokes anyone?

rowing a car can be kinda fun. And I'd feel silly in a sports car with an automatic. My brother-in-law has an automatic Porsche. He's a weeny.

Quick Reply: First Post - Potential Future Owner - Couple of Questions!