2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change from HELL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Oil change from HELL!!! PICTURES INCLUDED!!!

I own 2010 Honda Fit Sport manual with about 20,xxx miles on it. Several days ago I decided to change my engine oil since maintenance minder said my oil life was at 10%. So, I went to AutoZone where I purchased Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 oil and a new oil filter.

I came home and got my Fit on the ramps and then I left it to cool for about one hour. Please see picture below.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5019

After about an hour I crawled under the car and drained the engine oil and then I tried to take off the used oil filter and replace it with the new one. Well, in short this is where my troubles started because no matter what I tried doing the oil filter was not coming off. I used oil filter wrench and few other methods and what I was left with was an oil filter with a lot of dents in it that was still on screwed on to the engine . See picture below.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5020

Right when I ran out of ideas, I called my brother-in-law who told me to punch a hole through the oil filter using screw driver and a hammer which I did. Please see picture below.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5021

After most of the engine oil that remained in the oil filter drained, I punched a screwdriver all the way through the oil filter and then I used it to unscrew the oil filter off. It took me literally no time to unscrew it once the screwdriver was punched through it. Please see picture below.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5018

And now these are the pictures of the oil filter once I took it off with the screwdriver I have used. Please see the pictures below.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5016
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5017

Well, hopefully this thread will come in handy to some of you because I never used or heard of the method my brother in law told me about.

P.S. After you punch the hole through the oil filter be careful when you handle with your hands because you can cut yourself.

Last edited by FitsMePerfect; 09-21-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Pictures too Small. Tried to enlarge them.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
When I was in San Diego visiting my dad, I had to do an oil change with my Fit... but I didn't think to bring my filter adapter (which fits the OE filter, and can twisted with a socket wrench... left it in Chicago)... so I was left trying to use my brother's tools to get it off.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get a good grip. Not with the triple sided oil filter tool or the plastic version of the oil filter adapter (which flexed right around it). or even squeezing the plastic adapter under the other tool.

Eventually I got pissed off, grabbed my dad's wrench pliers, crushed it and twisted it right off with the pliers.

As for the oil filter tool I forgot to bring with me?

it should help you too

Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 AM
punching a hole through the filter is a great last resort tool. normally filters come off with the use of the claw

http://www.jiffysupply.com/catalog/25017.jpg

apply some oil on the rubber seal before hand tightening the oil filter

Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
FMP meet Hogwylde

Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
Well, hopefully this thread will come in handy to some of you because I never used or heard of the method my brother in law told me about.
Good step by step post with pics FMP. That's why new oil filters are supposed to be hand-tightened only. I use a strap/belt wrench when I can't hand-loosen the oil filter. But yeah screwdriver works as a last resort.

By the way you should compare oil changing techniques with Hogwylde. Here's his experience: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/66563-my-first-diy-oil-change-fit-ugh-3.html#post1018811

Last edited by Subie; 09-21-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 AM
I went back to AutoZone looking for that oil filter tool, but they did not have one which I could use on my Fit. Considering the fact that I was running out of time I had to adapt and improvise and honestly it felt good punching a hole through that oil filter with hammer and screwdriver after it caused me so much headache.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Te filter was on tight for my first change too. I got frustrated after 5 mins of using the plastic filter tool and ended up crushing it like Goobs. lol

Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
I went to the dealer for my first free change. I had a coffee and read a mag while waiting. No frustrations at all.

You got over 20M before MM showed 10%? That seems very high.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
I went back to AutoZone looking for that oil filter tool, but they did not have one which I could use on my Fit. Considering the fact that I was running out of time I had to adapt and improvise and honestly it felt good punching a hole through that oil filter with hammer and screwdriver after it caused me so much headache.
sorry, i forgot to mention, I had ordered that tool from Bernardi Honda, along with a 30-pk of oil filters, washers and the cargo tray.

re: Subie

hand tightened?!? I don't trust anything hand tightened... especially by my hands. Granted, I might only apply a 1/4-1/2 turn on a wrench sometimes, but i'm not comfortable with hand tightened when it comes to cars.

Heck, when i did the oil change in SD, i used a Mobil1 filter, which fit the plastic filter a *little* better, so I tightened it until the plastic slipped (which is more than hand tightening can do, though not much).

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned
These oil filter pliers work great, fit almost any filter and can get in very tight spaces. Haven't seen the old screwdriver method in years! Nice pix. Those bring back memories. Another tip is to use dirty motor oil to lube the filter seal instead of fresh to make the filter easier to remove next time.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I was fortunate to already have the correct size filter that I bought to change the oil on my Goldwing but the filter was really on tight.... In my younger days I spent a great deal of time changing oil washing and doing lube jobs on cars and learned that you never want to over tighten an oil filter... It is possible to over tighten one with your hand making the need for the old screw driver mess.. I had to use a screwdriver on a lot of cars that had the filters over tightened but it wasn't much messier than the internal filters that were inside of a canister that had to be removed.that today's type of filters replaced.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Actually, this was my third oil change. Previous oil change was performed by a local Honda dealership.

For past ten years I've been doing all the maintenance on my cars myself and not once have I had any problems especially with something as simple as oil change. Last oil change (first time I went to a dealership for maintenance) I went to Honda dealership because of certain time restraints I was dealing with and as a result I had a overtightened oil filter to deal with. For past ten years I have always used my hands to tighten the filter and I never had any problems with it, plus when you need time for replacement, it comes off pretty easy.

Well, in short I am not going back to dealerships for maintenance anymore. I trust myself more because I know I will do it right!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I use the same tool, Chad. cheap and very effective. goobers, I hand tighten and I'm a weakling. I've never had leaks in any cars I've done oil changes in. I do start up the car after an oil change and check under for leaking after few minutes with the engine running.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I am getting to where I have problems doing some things that need to be done on my car but have yet to let a dealership tech wrench on it... There is a young guy that works for a local repair shop and owns a fast Prelude that he has built who has offered to give me a hand on installing some stuff... I really need to give him a call...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM
The best way to stop that from happening is to not over tighten it when you put it on.

I have always follwed these step when installing a filter.

1. Put old oil on the gasket
2. Spin the filter with only your finger tips until it catches and stops.
3. Get a full grip on the filter, and turn it by hand until you can't anymore.

I intentionally use purolator pure one oil filter because they have an abrasive grip coating on the entire filter.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
re: Subie

hand tightened?!? I don't trust anything hand tightened... especially by my hands. Granted, I might only apply a 1/4-1/2 turn on a wrench sometimes, but i'm not comfortable with hand tightened when it comes to cars.

Heck, when i did the oil change in SD, i used a Mobil1 filter, which fit the plastic filter a *little* better, so I tightened it until the plastic slipped (which is more than hand tightening can do, though not much).
Yup, calibrated wrist hand tight then 1/4 turn after snug. Hasn't failed me yet... And yes, a visual while engine is running. Log it then roll it off the ramps...

Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Just a mindless observation on the title of the thread: since all of our oils except the true POA synthetics come from deep within the fiery bowels of the earth, I guess technically almost all oil changes are from HELL. Sorry, couldn't help myself....

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jay784
punching a hole through the filter is a great last resort tool. normally filters come off with the use of the claw

http://www.jiffysupply.com/catalog/25017.jpg

apply some oil on the rubber seal before hand tightening the oil filter
This is what I use as well. Good for all kinds of cars and has never failed me. Also good because you can use an extension on it and get in weird places. I used to take my filter out on my Element through the passenger fenderwell using this so I didn't have to jack it up lol

I also use old oil on the gasket and hand tight only, just run the car idling for a while and rev to 4k real quick to make sure no leaks on the filter.

Haven't used the screwdriver trick in a long time but it definitly works.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
I guess technically almost all oil changes are from HELL. Sorry, couldn't help myself....
Is that why all the fire? So I'm told, never been there...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm amused - someone was talking about 5 minute DIY oil changes on the forum recently.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I can almost remember the first time I poke a screwdriver into an oil filter. To my inexperienced mind it was so counter-intuitive. It was also on a 63Corvair. Oil up the arm.

Quick Reply: Oil change from HELL!!!