2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GE8 Oil consumption rate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 PM
GE8 Oil consumption rate?

Hello all! I recently bought a 09 Fit and am just starting to get used to it.

Now my previous vehicles were all older and more.... Boosted... XD So oil consumption was pretty normal and I often changed oil every 2 months.

Now the story with my fit is strange. I bought it on sept 19th 2011 with about 7000 kms.... Apparently delivery date was January 2010 So the car went 18 months and only got 7000kms...

Anyways.. When I had it oil life was at about 50%. I drove it for a while and then decided to check the oil level after my first full tank of gas and found at around 7400 kms I was sitting right at the minimum mark.

Anyways I was kinda unhappy with the fact that the car hadn't gotten a change before I bought it so I took it to the dealer and they happily did a change for free.
The work order says genuine honda filter and bulk 5w20 @ 7440 kms.

Now at about 10140 kms (Yeah I drive quite a bit) the oil level is sitting right between full and the minimum mark.

No on a new-ish engine is this considered normal oil consumption or should I be thinking of making time to call Honda.

I was also thinking of topping up with synthetic and seeing how it goes from then.

Im a little concerned as this is my first new car and I need it to last. Im also only 20 and recently went on my own so cash to throw around on repairs in quite there yet. XD

What do you all think?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
So it's about 1 quart every 7000km (4,400 miles).

I'd bring it to the attention of the dealer so it's documented. It's probably within "normal" parameters (I seem to remember 1 qt every 3k miles as being the limit before any warranty work).

I'm not sure about Canadian warranties but the US version covers powertrain issues for 60k miles or 5 years. Edit: looks like 5 years 100K for Canada power train warranty. You're covered, but make sure you have the oil use and changes documented.

Last edited by Steve244; 10-22-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Here is the kind of oil consumption im seeing out of my 2010. After 5000miles (8500km) of driving between oil changes, im only down a little less than a half quart. But, I did my first oil change @ 2000miles (3200km) and every 5000m (8500km) after that. and I am only at 17000miles (28500km) on my odometer.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Top 40 Reasons for Motor oil Consumption

i just thought this link would be handy

i don't mean to steal this tread.. but are we supposed to refill that oil consumption? i never even look at my oil after i put it in.. i just wait untill its time to change oil.

Last edited by Vash; 10-23-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
So it's about 1 quart every 7000km (4,400 miles).

I'd bring it to the attention of the dealer so it's documented. It's probably within "normal" parameters (I seem to remember 1 qt every 3k miles as being the limit before any warranty work).

I'm not sure about Canadian warranties but the US version covers powertrain issues for 60k miles or 5 years. Edit: looks like 5 years 100K for Canada power train warranty. You're covered, but make sure you have the oil use and changes documented.

Yeah Im defiantly still under warranty and will call or go in on Monday before I work to see them quickly.

I'm just a tad concerned as my friend who convinced me to but the Fit has an 09 with 17k kms and it burns nothing.

But if it is in fact 1quart per 3000 miles im getting pretty close to that consumption..

And thanks for the link Vash, I knew most of these before hand from all the shenanigans I've dealt with on my cars and from working at a dealership in the shop before I moved back to heavy duty.

I can see using a quart of oil after 15000kms like 2fstfru as that seems more then fine. But a quart every 5000kms if it continues like this is a bit much.

Dont fail me now Honda! I'm just starting to like you!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
My ‘09 MT Sport burns two quarts between oil changes, which typically happen every 10k (miles). I add a quart at about 5k after an oil change, and I’m generally back down to the bottom mark on the dipstick when the MM is down to 10-15%. It’s been this way since the day I bought it, and the car now has about 62k on it.

This is more oil than I’d like to be burning on a car that I received with 3 miles on the ODO and that was carefully broken in (varying the revs, no redlining for the first 1k or so). But the performance seems unaffected, I don’t see smoke from the tailpipe, and, in any event, the dealership doesn’t seem willing to do anything about it (they claim that anything less than one quart per 1k miles is acceptable).

Perhaps some engines come off the line with a tendency to burn more oil than others? Also, it might be driving style. I downshift quite a bit, and like to coast with my foot off the accelerator, both in order to save a bit of gas and put less wear on the brakes (my driving mantra is: “brakes are only for absolute emergencies”). I frequently use WOT merging onto freeways and to get around slow cars. I much prefer high revs to lugging the engine, as I see that to be more in the spirit of Honda engine design. Perhaps all these factors add up to greater-than-average oil consumption?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know if there is any validity to this, but before the lost motion spring recall, the engine would smell like oil when I turned the car off. Since the recall, that's not the case. It was definitely using up oil too, but I haven't been keeping an eye on it since the recall. I'm pretty sure it's not burning excessive amounts anymore. Was at the minimum line for an oil change once prior, and thought that was unacceptable.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Have an 09 fit spt.5sp.,21k on her.HAS NEVER USED A DROP OF OIL.Always at full mark when i check her.Since 6k miles have used mobil 1 in her.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
i don't mean to steal this tread.. but are we supposed to refill that oil consumption? i never even look at my oil after i put it in.. i just wait untill its time to change oil.
Yes.

At least if you're down a quart (at the lower mark) the accepted maintenance is to add a quart.

The accepted maintenance is also to check your oil level once in a while. With the incidence of people here running their Fit's dry I've started checking every time I fill it with gas. Gives me something to do besides ogling the chick in the next car.

Mine might go down 1/8 of a quart (as measured on the stick) between changes every 10K or so.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
vtec engines just burn oil.. Its the nature of the beast. All my engines ive built from high comp z6 to turbo b20v always did. Nothing to worry about.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I don't know if there is any validity to this, but before the lost motion spring recall, the engine would smell like oil when I turned the car off. Since the recall, that's not the case. It was definitely using up oil too, but I haven't been keeping an eye on it since the recall. I'm pretty sure it's not burning excessive amounts anymore. Was at the minimum line for an oil change once prior, and thought that was unacceptable.
Mine continues to consume oil at the same rate after the LMS fix. It's been steady in this regard since day one. I recall having had to add a quart to the break-in oil before my first oil change, which was at about 8k (the MM still showed 30%, but I grew nervous about leaving the original oil in for longer than that).

Old 10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cipher
Hello all! I recently bought a 09 Fit and am just starting to get used to it.

Now my previous vehicles were all older and more.... Boosted... XD So oil consumption was pretty normal and I often changed oil every 2 months.

Now the story with my fit is strange. I bought it on sept 19th 2011 with about 7000 kms.... Apparently delivery date was January 2010 So the car went 18 months and only got 7000kms...

Anyways.. When I had it oil life was at about 50%. I drove it for a while and then decided to check the oil level after my first full tank of gas and found at around 7400 kms I was sitting right at the minimum mark.

Anyways I was kinda unhappy with the fact that the car hadn't gotten a change before I bought it so I took it to the dealer and they happily did a change for free.
The work order says genuine honda filter and bulk 5w20 @ 7440 kms.

Now at about 10140 kms (Yeah I drive quite a bit) the oil level is sitting right between full and the minimum mark.

No on a new-ish engine is this considered normal oil consumption or should I be thinking of making time to call Honda.

I was also thinking of topping up with synthetic and seeing how it goes from then.

Im a little concerned as this is my first new car and I need it to last. Im also only 20 and recently went on my own so cash to throw around on repairs in quite there yet. XD

What do you all think?
You need to check the oil before driving on flat ground. Clean oil is hard to see and unless you checked it at the dealer you dont know where the oil level was. Honda uses semi synthetic in their bulk oil so you should not have to worry about that.

Get the oil changed and make sure its full. Drive it for awhile with some full throttle high revs like getting on the Highway. Make sure the engine is at operating temperature. Take records of the oil using the the oil change as the start and mark the miles when the oil is getting lower. In a hot motor the oil is still on the top and takes 20 minutes or so to get a accurate reading. If you have oil consumption issues then take it to the dealer with the report of miles.

They never filled my Fit and I always added 1/2 quart to top off and used the 1/2 quart with in 6000 miles which is acceptable. I used M1 and with the new cars I use there mainline semi-synthetic with no problems in my new cars and go 7000 miles in between oil changes.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
My ‘09 MT Sport burns two quarts between oil changes, which typically happen every 10k (miles). I add a quart at about 5k after an oil change, and I’m generally back down to the bottom mark on the dipstick when the MM is down to 10-15%. It’s been this way since the day I bought it, and the car now has about 62k on it.

This is more oil than I’d like to be burning on a car that I received with 3 miles on the ODO and that was carefully broken in (varying the revs, no redlining for the first 1k or so). But the performance seems unaffected, I don’t see smoke from the tailpipe, and, in any event, the dealership doesn’t seem willing to do anything about it (they claim that anything less than one quart per 1k miles is acceptable).

Perhaps some engines come off the line with a tendency to burn more oil than others? Also, it might be driving style. I downshift quite a bit, and like to coast with my foot off the accelerator, both in order to save a bit of gas and put less wear on the brakes (my driving mantra is: “brakes are only for absolute emergencies”). I frequently use WOT merging onto freeways and to get around slow cars. I much prefer high revs to lugging the engine, as I see that to be more in the spirit of Honda engine design. Perhaps all these factors add up to greater-than-average oil consumption?

I tend to drive the same way actually. I bought the car because it was a Honda and I could depend on the engine to preform and be a rev happy little unit.

I think maybe our downshifting might have somethign to do with it as I do remeber talking to a tech who worked for infinity and said there was a tech notice that g35's burnt a ton of oil when you downshifted to high rpms to coast.

Anyways it seems theres a massive degree of variation between members and oil consumption. Personally as long as the engines and healthy with the consumption I'm happy.

I do know for a fact SOME engines are designed to burn oil like Audi's TFSI 2 liter can burn 1 quart every 5k miles easily.

What baffles me is that I have a few friends with other kinds of modified cars that dont burn anything one being a beat on SR20 240sx...

Oh well, I'll switch to Castrol syntehtic next oil change and top up with it and see how that affects oil consumption. I should also check to see if the loss motion spring recall was done on my car.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I've got almost 20k miles on my 2010 and it never burns a drop of oil.

I barely followed the break in recomendations (WOT, engine breaking), changed the break in oil a little early (4k miles), used my free oil change from the dealership and following that switched to Mobil 1 at about 10k miles. WOT and engine breaking is good for break-in IMO though, but that's an argument for another thread.

I am always busy on the shifter and downshift all the time, bounce the limiter at least once a week.

If I were you i'd start looking for leaks and do a compression test and leakdown test. Is VTEC on these motors still oil pressure activated? I don't think so, so I wouldn't blame it on that.

Anyway, it seems very strange to me that you'd be losing any oil this early in the car's life, and I think it's ridiculous that Honda finds the consumption "acceptable".

Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
I have 137k miles on my 09 GE8 and it burns 0 oil.

Oil changes every 4k

Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I've got almost 20k miles on my 2010 and it never burns a drop of oil.

I barely followed the break in recomendations (WOT, engine breaking), changed the break in oil a little early (4k miles), used my free oil change from the dealership and following that switched to Mobil 1 at about 10k miles. WOT and engine breaking is good for break-in IMO though, but that's an argument for another thread.

I am always busy on the shifter and downshift all the time, bounce the limiter at least once a week.

If I were you i'd start looking for leaks and do a compression test and leakdown test. Is VTEC on these motors still oil pressure activated? I don't think so, so I wouldn't blame it on that.

Anyway, it seems very strange to me that you'd be losing any oil this early in the car's life, and I think it's ridiculous that Honda finds the consumption "acceptable".

Glad to hear that you can bag on your car and burn 0 oil.

But honestly for me I hit 7000 at least once a day lol.

And MiMi1 thanks for your input too. Much more evidence that there is something odd about my engine.

My best guess as to why im burning oil after thinking about it is the extremes that my city see's. +30c in the summer and -40c in the winter.If the Previous owner was driving in the winter with unacceptable warm up time I can see the engine wearing horribly fast. Especially during break in.

I had a friend grenade an Acura legend in one winter because of the short drives to school with no warm up time. :/

Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
OP - is your Fit affected by the LMS recall and has it been fixed for that?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
OP - is your Fit affected by the LMS recall and has it been fixed for that?
I have no idea. I was not told anything when I got my oil change at the dealership.

I'll be checking tomorrow morning when I give them a call or drive down for a little visit.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Cipher
Glad to hear that you can bag on your car and burn 0 oil.

But honestly for me I hit 7000 at least once a day lol.

And MiMi1 thanks for your input too. Much more evidence that there is something odd about my engine.

My best guess as to why im burning oil after thinking about it is the extremes that my city see's. +30c in the summer and -40c in the winter.If the Previous owner was driving in the winter with unacceptable warm up time I can see the engine wearing horribly fast. Especially during break in.

I had a friend grenade an Acura legend in one winter because of the short drives to school with no warm up time. :/
That's why I say you should have the engine tested for compression and leakdown. You can speculate all you want but that will tell you where the problem lies.

Or just deal with it. It's not normal though if that's what you're looking for.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
That's why I say you should have the engine tested for compression and leakdown. You can speculate all you want but that will tell you where the problem lies.

Or just deal with it. It's not normal though if that's what you're looking for.

No its defiantly not normal after all the posts I've seen. I will take it to Honda and ask them to do work before I get my hands dirty on this.

If they refuse to do anything I'll go from there and see what I can do.

Worst case hopefully I can save some good cash and hopefully a reasonable K20 swap kit is developed for the GE8. (although I'd much rather use the money I'll be saving for my AE86 project)

I'll report back tomorrow with what Honda says!

Quick Reply: GE8 Oil consumption rate?