2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im new here, cargo cover question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
im new here, cargo cover question

I just joined this forum cause I am waiting for my 2012 fit sports to arrive. I have 2 questions, I want to get:
1)all weather season mat
2)cargo cover/shelf(the tray that sits on top across the back seats, so noone could see what's in your trunk)

I see these on ebay for the FIT 2009, 2010, but do these fit on the 2012 model?

does anyone know the parts# for a bLACK shelf? and for these 2 items for the 2012 fit? just for me to compare the numbers to the ones on ebay.

thanks

Last edited by white_FIT2012; 11-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by white_FIT2012
I just joined this forum cause I am waiting for my 2012 fit sports to arrive. I have 2 questions, I want to get:
1)all weather season mat
2)cargo cover/shelf(the tray that sits on top across the back seats, so noone could see what's in your trunk)

I see these on ebay for the FIT 2009, 2010, but do these fit on the 2012 model?

does anyone know the parts# for a bLACK shelf? and for these 2 items for the 2012 fit? just for me to compare the numbers to the ones on ebay.

thanks
Yes they will fit 2012 Fits. I would skip the Honda floor mats and just get the FloorLiners from WeatherTech.

JP

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
What Johnny said - shelf will work on a 2012. I used to have 4 OEM All weather mats, but now I have a combo of Oem all-weather mats in the rear and Weathertech digital in the front.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Follow up question: how do you fold down the rear seats with the cargo shelf? I'm also about to take
delivery of a 2012 base model. Just noticed that College Hills Honda has a different part number
for the 2012 model. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get the all season floor mats.

skip the cargo cover and get tint.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by msoques
Follow up question: how do you fold down the rear seats with the cargo shelf? I'm also about to take
delivery of a 2012 base model. Just noticed that College Hills Honda has a different part number
for the 2012 model. Thanks!
Just looked at that, and the part # is off by 1 digit, then looked at Bernardi and they show the newer cover 08U35-TK6-111 and saying "Fits: 2009-2012 model" ... I'm guessing there was a minor change, but they should fit all GE8's. Now I'm curious as to what the change was.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM
The difference with the 2012 cover is that it no longer snaps to the back seats. In fact there is no cloth there, so there is a gap between the cover and the back seats. Not the best design in my opinion. Here is a link to instructions that show it.

http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/...argo-cover.pdf

Last edited by OrangePower; 11-06-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OrangePower
The difference with the 2012 cover is that it no longer snaps to the back seats. In fact there is no cloth there, so there is a gap between the cover and the back seats. Not the best design in my opinion. Here is a link to instructions that show it.

I have never actually snapped the flap on my Cargo cover, as it is a nuisance, since it needs to be snapped and re-snapped whenever you fold down the rear seats. Just having the extra flap does cover the gap. This new configuration by Honda makes the installation much simpler. I prefer to have the gap covered. given the option, I'd choose the older version of the cargo cover for the extra coverage.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I would agree that I would never snap the old design cover - in fact I would not have them install the snaps on the back seats as that would also get in my way, but if the extra cloth flap does a little something extra for covering the gap, then I could see the benefit.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just make the back part longer (the part that doesn't rotate when the liftgate is open). That would be a better solution. That, or a harder cover (like the PT Cruiser has).

Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I have never actually snapped the flap on my Cargo cover, as it is a nuisance, since it needs to be snapped and re-snapped whenever you fold down the rear seats. Just having the extra flap does cover the gap. This new configuration by Honda makes the installation much simpler. I prefer to have the gap covered. given the option, I'd choose the older version of the cargo cover for the extra coverage.
Does the cover fall off easily? I wouldn't want it unless it stays on nicely.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I would agree that I would never snap the old design cover - in fact I would not have them install the snaps on the back seats as that would also get in my way, but if the extra cloth flap does a little something extra for covering the gap, then I could see the benefit.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just make the back part longer (the part that doesn't rotate when the liftgate is open). That would be a better solution. That, or a harder cover (like the PT Cruiser has).
You are spot on. I used to own a 1992 Toyota wagon with a cargo cover that came flush to the rear seats-- a really useful accessory which was also a nice sturdy shelf. I was excited when I found out the Fit also had a cargo cover, but it is not as good as my old Toyota's. Honda could have fixed this with their 2012 redesign, but instead it is even worse.
The cover stays on securely if you have it attached correctly.

Last edited by sooznd; 11-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
I don't understand why they wouldn't just make the back part longer (the part that doesn't rotate when the liftgate is open).
It's because the rear seat backs have 2 positions, upright and reclined. A solid piece wouldn't be able to accomodate both positions.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
get the all season floor mats.

skip the cargo cover and get tint.
Tint is the way to go.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by JeffChap
It's because the rear seat backs have 2 positions, upright and reclined. A solid piece wouldn't be able to accommodate both positions.
Just went and tried reclining my seats. Cool beans - I didn't even know it did that (not that far in the manual yet )

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
so the 2011/2012 one is just a solid piece and there is no gap if the seats are reclined, but there is a gap if they aren't reclined?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM
2011 model has one flex joint and cords so that it opens with the hatch. Also has a flap of cloth and snaps that install on the back seats.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...cargocover.pdf

2012 model has one flex joint and cords so that it opens with the hatch. No cloth flap so that there is no gap if the seats are reclined, but there is a gap if they aren't reclined.

I did see one set of instructions for a 2012 model that looked like the 2011, but the pdf link there is just like one I received and I bought mine only two weeks ago.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Just went and tried reclining my seats. Cool beans - I didn't even know it did that (not that far in the manual yet )
I never new the rear seats reclined either!
I have had my car for over a year now & keep my rear seats flipped up most of the time. I learn so much from this forum!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I never new the rear seats reclined either!
I have had my car for over a year now & keep my rear seats flipped up most of the time. I learn so much from this forum!
More interesting little facts here ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tle-stuff.html
Definitely a must read for all owners.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
More interesting little facts here ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tle-stuff.html
Definitely a must read for all owners.
thanks Fitstir - that's a very useful thread!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM
so to dredge up a very old thread and surmise: both cargo covers fit GE for all years correct?

The big difference is the 2008-2011 part ending 110 has a little flap that hangs down that can clip to the rear seats, vs. 2012-2013 part ending 111 has no flap. Correct?

I think both statements are correct from my reading of threads. My big question is is the gap the same with both parts? And just how big is it either reclined or not?

Quick Reply: im new here, cargo cover question