Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   40+ mpg (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/68409-40-mpg.html)

kaphinga 12-31-2011 11:11 AM

I am getting 34.3 MPG average on my 2011 M/T Sport, mostly in incredibly nasty downtown Atlanta traffic. (For those of you in Atlanta, this includes lots of miles on Peachtree Street, North Avenue, and the downtown connector at rush hour --- ouch!) In the worst conditions, I can get 30 MPG if I really work at using a feather foot and trying to time traffic lights. If I can get any kind of normal freeway or suburban driving situation, my mileage quickly goes up to around 40 MPG, sometimes more.

2012FitFan 12-31-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kaphinga (Post 1060275)
I am getting 34.3 MPG average on my 2011 M/T Sport, mostly in incredibly nasty downtown Atlanta traffic. (For those of you in Atlanta, this includes lots of miles on Peachtree Street, North Avenue, and the downtown connector at rush hour --- ouch!) In the worst conditions, I can get 30 MPG if I really work at using a feather foot and trying to time traffic lights. If I can get any kind of normal freeway or suburban driving situation, my mileage quickly goes up to around 40 MPG, sometimes more.

Yuck and I hear you! I work in Buckhead, near Lenox Mall. I live in Paulding. Drive in/out of Buckhead, then the horror that is 75 north/southbound.

Lowest I've gotten so far is around 33, with very bad traffic. Highest 36. I'm not counting dealers first tank because, who knows if it was filled all the way.

phenoyz 12-31-2011 11:34 AM

51 miles round trip (home-work) everyday, 60-65 mph, mostly highway
i get 41-42mpg
i use shell PREMIUM
my car has manual transmission

kaphinga 12-31-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2012FitFan (Post 1060279)
Yuck and I hear you! I work in Buckhead, near Lenox Mall. I live in Paulding. Drive in/out of Buckhead, then the horror that is 75 north/southbound.

Lowest I've gotten so far is around 33, with very bad traffic. Highest 36. I'm not counting dealers first tank because, who knows if it was filled all the way.

I feel your pain. The downtown connector is truly a horror. My worst tank was 30.6 MPG, which was basically nothing but downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. My best so far is 40.9, which was almost all highway.

micven55 12-31-2011 12:24 PM

At this point I'm convinced that anyone getting 40 mpg and over live where it's totally flat and the wind is always at their backs. At least in hilly upstate NY these numbers are all but impossible.

Rollerboots666 12-31-2011 01:00 PM

HAhaha yeah. I'm just weird about the octane I guess. My civic use to get better mpg on 93-97ish. Non of my cars have seen lower then 91 in prob 10 years. I'll have to give it a try though & see what the numbers do. Thanks guys.

specboy 12-31-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by micven55 (Post 1060289)
At this point I'm convinced that anyone getting 40 mpg and over live where it's totally flat and the wind is always at their backs. At least in hilly upstate NY these numbers are all but impossible.

It really depends on your commute. I'm a bit east of you (VT) and there aren't too many flat surfaces here. My daily commute for two years netted me 38mpg over 30K miles with many many tanks at 40mpg or above. My new commute which is much shorter is hurting my economy as the last few tanks are around 29-33mpg. My one-way commute has changed from 26 miles to 6 miles and is about to drop to 4 miles. I also use my car for work a bit more traveling through the "city" of Rutland. The fit is capable of extremely good economy but it is also susceptible to many factors that hurt it's economy. The environment has to be right for the fit and for me, I found that was a 26 mile commute with rolling hills on 50mph roads (with a few 25mph towns) in my 5MT)

~SB

Wanderer. 12-31-2011 04:45 PM

65 mile round-trip commute through the San Francisco bay area for me, 90% highway at off peak hours (9am-10am and 630pm -730pm) i'm getting 40-41mpg 2010 Base MT. I use 87 octane from whatever gas station i'm closest to.

LooAwn 01-03-2012 08:54 PM

Manual 09 41 :D City driving most of the time

vinn 01-04-2012 04:27 AM

42-43 MPG highway. Light didn't turn on until I drove 330 miles today down the US 101 from Morgan Hill, CA to Los Angeles, CA. 87 octane from Shell :D

If you wonder how fast I was going, 65-75 95% of the time.

E46ToFIT 01-04-2012 09:38 AM

31 MPG-NJ...mostly HW, but how the heck are you guys getting 40+? 2012 FIT base model Auto

Steve244 01-04-2012 11:12 AM

Fish stories, and a few that have a gentle drive. I've been able to sustain 45mpg over short runs of 25 miles, but never for a whole tank. ('09 Base auto)

There are probably some residual owners that haven't had the ECU on their '09s flashed by Honda. There was a bug that had it reading 10-15% higher than actual.

I went from 32mpg avg to 36mpg avg over the same daily drive (30% city, 70% freeway) by changing tires to Michelin Energy, oil to 0w20 (previously had been 5w20. 2012's come with it I think), and having it aligned. I'd like to think the tires did it, but suspect the alignment had as much to do with it.

E46ToFIT 01-04-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1061319)
Fish stories, and a few that have a gentle drive. I've been able to sustain 45mpg over short runs of 25 miles, but never for a whole tank. ('09 Base auto)

There are probably some residual owners that haven't had the ECU on their '09s flashed by Honda. There was a bug that had it reading 10-15% higher than actual.

I went from 32mpg avg to 36mpg avg over the same daily drive (30% city, 70% freeway) by changing tires to Michelin Energy, oil to 0w20 (previously had been 5w20. 2012's come with it I think), and having it aligned. I'd like to think the tires did it, but suspect the alignment had as much to do with it.

dumb question, but shouldnt my new car have perfect alignment?

Steve244 01-04-2012 12:07 PM

It should.

When mine was new and I followed someone else driving it, the rear tires didn't track the front tires (there was a visible offset of several inches on flat straight surfaces). I obsessed but the dealer convinced me it was fine without putting it on an alignment rack (they just drove and eyeballed it).

When I had the tires changed and an alignment done, NTB advised that it was pretty far out of alignment. Their printer was down so they didn't give me a report. The OE tires only lasted 30K miles with the front tires wearing the outside edges worse. Many owners here change at around 30K miles and I only rotated twice resulting in the front tires having been on the front for 20K of 30K miles. So I don't know if 30K is average for Dunlop OEs or not.

After having it aligned and the new tires installed, it tracked much better, was less "squirrelly" on the freeway, and MPG increased 10%. Before a minor steering adjustment had a greater effect, requiring a steady hand to keep it straight. I rationalized that as just the short wheelbase.

Was it the new tires, the alignment, or a combination? How long was the alignment bad? I suspect before I drove it off the lot. (I still haven't eyeballed it with someone else driving to know if the "offset" issue still exists. I've seen this to varying degrees on other cars including Fits so I don't know if it's normal).

Krimson_Cardnal 01-04-2012 01:24 PM

My FIT Sport ran 31K on the OEM duns, could have gotten another 8K season but winter said no to that. After mounting 205/50/16 DWS's I had the alignment checked at a good local shop I always use. Tracking was off considerably. I was seeing the same OEM tire wear as Steve.

If planning on new treads always wait for an alignment check till after the new tires are mounted. I always consider it as a part of getting new tires. It stands to reason that an off alignment will add drag to the car, thus effecting MPG - if ever so slightly. Plus it cuts the life of the investment.

Regarding 40MPG I see it through most all the fair weather moths. Winter takes a hit on it, more like 36-37MPG. I can't complain, the Conti DWS @36psi are super tires.

phrancis 01-05-2012 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1061333)
It should.

After having it aligned and the new tires installed, it tracked much better, was less "squirrelly" on the freeway, and MPG increased 10%. Before a minor steering adjustment had a greater effect, requiring a steady hand to keep it straight. I rationalized that as just the short wheelbase.

Was it the new tires, the alignment, or a combination? How long was the alignment bad? I suspect before I drove it off the lot. (I still haven't eyeballed it with someone else driving to know if the "offset" issue still exists. I've seen this to varying degrees on other cars including Fits so I don't know if it's normal).

Hmmm - I just took my 3 week old MT Sport on a long road trip from Portland to SanFran and hand calculated my mpgs after 5 fuel stops. The average came out to only 36 mpgs for 95% hwy driving on I-5 and a small drive through downtown SF with just 1 other passenger and 2 suitcases. I did have to sometimes drop to fourth and floor it to maintain speed up some of the long grades on I-5, but I also coasted in neutral to compensate (sometimes reaching 80+ on the longer stretches)

I did complain about it being more "squirily" on the hwy and needing steady concentration and a ninja grip on the wheel. I just figured I was so used to driving my old prelude for so long and this new Fit was such a shorter and lighter car. Guess I should have the alignment checked out...

Steve244 01-05-2012 03:01 PM

can't hurt. I wish I had.

coasting in neutral may burn more fuel than leaving it in gear. The fuel injection shuts off with no throttle and rpms higher than 900 (or something close to that). Putting it in neutral and coasting will burn gas just to keep the engine running, maybe more than you save by avoiding a bit of engine braking.

However, 36mpg depending on conditions is about as good as it gets.

Wanderer. 01-05-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1061726)
can't hurt. I wish I had.

coasting in neutral may burn more fuel than leaving it in gear. The fuel injection shuts off with no throttle and rpms higher than 900 (or something close to that). Putting it in neutral and coasting will burn gas just to keep the engine running, maybe more than you save by avoiding a bit of engine braking.

However, 36mpg depending on conditions is about as good as it gets.

It does, I never coast in neutral, just engine brake in 4th or 5th.

I don't see it being as easy to get 40mpg with an auto, there's lots of shift work you can do to save gas.

Altering my driving habits has netted me 40mpg consistantly with maybe 1mpg+- variation.

micven55 01-05-2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1061319)

Yeah, I'm with you , fish stories, or I'm the guy behind you whose eyes are turning red because you're accelerating at a snails pace. Come on, the little engine loves to be rev'ed, get on it.

Wanderer. 01-05-2012 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by micven55 (Post 1061790)
Yeah, I'm with you , fish stories, or I'm the guy behind you whose eyes are turning red because you're accelerating at a snails pace. Come on, the little engine loves to be rev'ed, get on it.

It doesn't even matter if you accelerate fast, because the faster I get to crusing speed the faster I get to let off the throttle and coast/not use any gas and make up for the MPG I just lost, then back to cruising speed getting 40+ mpg at the speed limit.

You don't have to drive like a grandma ALL THE TIME to get good gas mileage averages.

Trust me, I enter all freeway onramps at full throttle, shift at 6k+ and go through cloverleafs at the top of 3rd gear. :rotfl: I'm exaggerating (kind of). But that's what, less than a mile? The other 30 miles i'm driving i'm going 65 getting 40 mpg, so who really cares.

Edited for photos:

I was skeptical of the onboard MPG calculator originally but I calculated manually a couple of times and it came out just about right, a little bit off but not enough that i'd care.

Also sat in 30 miles of bumper to bumper traffic today, it was better yesterday. I just took these right now.
Attachment 29412
Attachment 29413