Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   40+ mpg (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/68409-40-mpg.html)

Muster 11-02-2011 02:52 PM

40+ mpg

Anyone else getting 40+ mpg with city/highway driving?

I was getting 41 but now I am getting close to 45

Manual 09 sport

specboy 11-02-2011 07:57 PM

Check to see if the update for the MPG computer has been done. are you calculating or relying on the computer. 2009 FITs had an improper calculation in the computer that needed to be updated in order to more accurately calculate MPG. I'm running 38mpg right now at 33,000+ miles but that is calculated.

~SB

LeafEater 11-02-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muster (Post 1046955)
Anyone else getting 40+ mpg with city/highway driving?

I was getting 41 but now I am getting close to 45

Manual 09 sport

I've learned how to drive very efficiently with my Fit and I average anywhere between 40-43mpg.

manual 2010 sport

broody 11-02-2011 10:48 PM

I buy a small car to drive it hard without caring about mpg.

GVlog 11-02-2011 11:07 PM

Surprisingly my 2012 Fit Sport AT averaged 40mpg one morning last week on a 24-mile trip.

There was light morning "rush-hour" traffic and I was able to coast between 45-50mph on the highway with everyone. I got off the freeway and my average was 40mpg. Expressway driving was slow and smooth (about 40-45mph) and I got to the office parking lot with still an average of 40mpg.
:)

Nice to know it can do that.

Schoat333 11-03-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by broody (Post 1047081)

This :D

My dash tells me I average 36.1 mpg, but when I do the math, it ends up being closer to 38mpg. I never take it easy either.

2011 Sport Manual.

SilverbulletCSVT 11-03-2011 08:37 AM

MPG claims from the OBC and MPG from short mileage drives are not really pertinent to post. Use your OBC as a real time monitor to alter your driving habits for desired economy.

Calculate MPG at the pump over an entire tank. Better yet average over multiple tanks. That is the only accurate way period.

_

Krimson_Cardnal 11-03-2011 08:55 AM

What LeafEater and SilverbulletCSVT say++

mhadden 11-03-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by broody (Post 1047081)

Ditto, but I also try to squeeze every mpg I can on occasion. But it is nice that I can drive like a jackwagon and still return 33mpg...:D

franky0707 11-03-2011 10:52 AM

Sounds like I really need to alter my driving style! Using the obc and judging miles per tank I am averaging around 31mpg :( Any advice or non common knowledge tricks to help bring this number up?

2010 auto sport

Steve244 11-03-2011 12:21 PM

What's your daily drive like? Some things can't be helped.

On my end: 09 Base auto I was getting 32mpg pretty consistently. Probably 75% freeway and 25% city (Atlanta commute 25miles each way).

At 30K I changed tires (Michelin Energy), had it aligned, and changed oil to 0w20. It immediately went to 36mpg and has stayed there the past 2 months.

Of the 3, I suspect an alignment was the biggest help; original tires wore too quickly even for Fits.

franky0707 11-03-2011 12:39 PM

I do about 50 or so miles daily on the highway, and possibly 10-15 around town miles. I use cruise control as much as possible to try to keep my foot from getting too heavy on the gas as well. Just recently had an oil change done as well as added air to all my tires and still not seeing a real improvement.

franky0707 11-03-2011 12:41 PM

Also don't know if this changes much but it has been lowered about 1.5" and has some stiffer suspension then stock. I don't know all the details of the parts put on but could find out. Bought this off of a friend of mine and he is the one that made the changes to it.

SSMTEN 11-03-2011 01:30 PM

Thats weird, because the A/T's have longer gearing, so you should be raping on the highway. I get about 40mpg at 60mph, 5M/T

franky0707 11-03-2011 01:41 PM

I will say the highway I am normally on, the speed limit is 65 so I am normally cruising around 70mph. Think it could help to try switching it into S mode and paddle shifting?

franky0707 11-03-2011 01:43 PM

Also SSMTEN, great looking fit you got there! I gotta get some pictures of mine on here soon. What all have you done to yours?

SSMTEN 11-03-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by franky0707 (Post 1047214)
Also SSMTEN, great looking fit you got there! I gotta get some pictures of mine on here soon. What all have you done to yours?

Click the link in my sig and immerse yourself in the awesomeness :)

franky0707 11-03-2011 01:52 PM

Just noticed that very good work! :)

Krimson_Cardnal 11-03-2011 02:00 PM

franky - ALL those things your doing will result in good MPG. It's all in the way you do them, cruise control can help sometimes. Being aware and watching the MM bar graph helps get you 'conditioned'. After about 3-4K miles you'll have a better feel of things. No one thing precedes another, it's a package deal. Keep up the good work.

franky0707 11-03-2011 02:15 PM

Thanks Krimson, I had better mpg when I first started driving it, just cause I wasn't used to the car and probably took everything a lot easier. Not a huuuuge amount more but 2-3mpg more. I think I have fallen too far into the comfort zone again and am not aware of some of my driving habits. Time for me to start cracking down on paying attention again and see what I can pull off. Too jealous of reading people hypermiling and getting insane mpg, I would be happy with just really good haha. Though compared to my vehicle I had before this one this is a world of difference mpg wise. (Used to drive a 98 s10 with a 4.3L that got 15-17mpg highway!)

GVlog 11-03-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by franky0707 (Post 1047170)
Sounds like I really need to alter my driving style! Using the obc and judging miles per tank I am averaging around 31mpg :(

Some of the folks already chimed-in. It really depends on the circumstances of your drive.

When I'm doing tons of chores in town (grocery, mall, lunch, shoe repair shop, library) doing lots of stop-and-go and weaving through light traffic, my average MPG will quickly drop to about 28-30.

Of course, imagine how much fuel I'd be burning if I were driving our older van!

franky0707 11-03-2011 02:32 PM

GVlog, you are completely right. I cannot complain much getting over double my old trucks mpg even when I am driving less than granny style haha.

Krimson_Cardnal 11-03-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by franky0707 (Post 1047225)
Thanks Krimson, I had better mpg when I first started driving it, just cause I wasn't used to the car and probably took everything a lot easier. Not a huuuuge amount more but 2-3mpg more. I think I have fallen too far into the comfort zone again and am not aware of some of my driving habits. Time for me to start cracking down on paying attention again and see what I can pull off. Too jealous of reading people hypermiling and getting insane mpg, I would be happy with just really good haha. Though compared to my vehicle I had before this one this is a world of difference mpg wise. (Used to drive a 98 s10 with a 4.3L that got 15-17mpg highway!)

When I picked up my new FIT I was in the same head you are. After driving around a while I discovered the freakworld. Then I started looking at what's going on and got excited and confused. Decided to start the same way I have on all new rides, learn to feel the car and drive it accordingly to see where it settles in for me. We needed to get to know each other.

After a while I began to draw my own conclusions and had been following threads and understanding what I was dealing with. After that it was follow my impulse, learn from others [some great knowledge here] and now I'm seeing a good 38MPG in my daily driving world. HWY trips cut that a bit but I make it up on the other end. Urban/city bring it down to 35-36 but I'm not typically in that world. If I dog it - 32MPG is good.... don't take the dog out too much and if I do it ain't for long, just to make a point.

Sort of like I always have_:D

franky0707 11-03-2011 06:28 PM

Did a short test on my way home today, mix of highway and city and used S mode the whole time. Immediately am seeing a huge difference in a good way. Keeps me more aware and keeps it from down shifting when accelerating a little more. I will keep on trying this for a bit and I am thinking I will see good positive results! :)

specboy 11-03-2011 06:33 PM

Cruise control has never gotten me good economy. It engages engine braking downhill which kills any momentum, it also doesn't allow for fluctuation in speed so it's constantly downshifting or depressing the gas pedal to keep up speed. Just by letting the car fluctuate a few mph when going down/up hills, you can improve economy.

also, the Fit loves 40-50mph in the manual trans. Also, if you can get in traffic that is moving at that speed and just maintain a little gas pressure, your economy will skyrocket. I've easily had 50+mpg over a few days when I really put my mind to it and kept myself "in traffic". I've never been able to do a full tank but I've had over 44mpg on a tank or two.

~SB

franky0707 11-03-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 1047291)
Cruise control has never gotten me good economy. It engages engine braking downhill which kills any momentum, it also doesn't allow for fluctuation in speed so it's constantly downshifting or depressing the gas pedal to keep up speed. Just by letting the car fluctuate a few mph when going down/up hills, you can improve economy.

also, the Fit loves 40-50mph in the manual trans. Also, if you can get in traffic that is moving at that speed and just maintain a little gas pressure, your economy will skyrocket. I've easily had 50+mpg over a few days when I really put my mind to it and kept myself "in traffic". I've never been able to do a full tank but I've had over 44mpg on a tank or two.

~SB

Yeah from the little bit I tried today like that it seemed to be a WORLD of difference on the gas mileage. I probably cannot make it through an entire tank driving that conservative, too many people tick me off haha, but doing this a majority of the time or on longer trips will be great!

broody 11-03-2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mhadden (Post 1047153)
Ditto, but I also try to squeeze every mpg I can on occasion. But it is nice that I can drive like a jackwagon and still return 33mpg...:D

You need some wreckless driving lessons, I can go down to 20mpg if I want.

wetphoto 11-04-2011 09:19 PM

I'm getting 37.5 in town, now that it has cooled off. Highway 41-42 at 75

jackie11111 12-29-2011 05:37 PM

on a recent trip from LA to San Diego and back, I wanted to see how efficient my 2010 base Fit a/t was at steady cruising on the freeway.

AFTER getting up to to 60-65 on the freeway, I reset the trip meter and refused to hit the brake at all, and used a feather-touch on the gas pedal. no drafting or crazy shit like that. but I did have to stay in the right lane to drive that slow (traffic was otherwise moving at 70+)

The ave MPG for the FIt for the first 100 miles down to SD was a whopping FOURTY SEVEN (47) mpg at the end of the trip. For maybe twenty minutes at the start of the drive the meter hovered around 52 mpg before slowly ticking back downwards.

I repeated the experiment on the return 100 mile trip back to LA. Got 46 mpg on the way back for freeway-only cruising at around 62 miles per hour.

This is meter-only. I did not calculate my mpg on this trip. My previous calculations when I first was testing out my car have indicated my meter reads about 1/2 to 3/4 mpg higher than calculated. But that still means the base a/t Fit gets 45+ mpg while cruising at 60 mph.

whoot

DennisCTC 12-29-2011 06:24 PM

My best is 34 MPG but I only have 1100 miles on my 2012 Sport AT.

specboy 12-29-2011 10:19 PM

Unfortunately, with my new commute, I haven't seen 40MPG in over 3 months. That lifetime AVG of 38mpg will likely begin to drop as I'm now getting an average of 33mpg (winter and taller tires are partially to blame) but on the lighter side... my commute is about 175 miles less each week. so I fill up about every 3 weeks.

~SB

mhadden 12-30-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 1059916)
...my commute is about 175 miles less each week. so I fill up about every 3 weeks.

I envy you. I love to drive, but driving to and from work sucks. It takes 15 hours a week out of my leisure time!

clemsonteg 12-30-2011 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a snapshot so far on how my fuel economy looks in my 2012 m/t sport. I'm pretty happy so far and this is a far cry from my 15 mpg truck. my worst mpg so far in the fit have all been on the highway :)

Attachment 29551

2012FitFan 12-30-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by clemsonteg (Post 1060151)
Here is a snapshot so far on how my fuel economy looks in my 2012 m/t sport. I'm pretty happy so far and this is a far cry from my 15 mpg truck. my worst mpg so far in the fit have all been on the highway :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g/6cb61f23.jpg

Awesome numbers. Plus it's a fun car to drive, with tons of room!

EDIT: My best so far, in wonderful Atlanta metro traffic, is 36 mpg. I know on the highway, without traffic, this car has plenty more for sure.

clemsonteg 12-30-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2012FitFan (Post 1060156)
Awesome numbers. Plus it's a fun car to drive, with tons of room!

You're right about that. It was amazing the first time I got in it to test drive how much room it had compared to what it looked like. I knew right then I had to have it!

Rollerboots666 12-30-2011 09:27 PM

I'm on a GD3 (2008) MT. I just bought the car about a month ago. HAve 70,000 on the car. It seemed to get about 32ish mpg. I drive booth city & highway. More city these days & I get on it a lot. Just noticed the other day I prob got about 28 mpg. This is all gauged by my rough math. I really need to see whats up w/ that. My style either has to change or something is up.

Plus I go about 75-80 on the highway. Thinking maybe 70-75 tops should help. I want the AFE intake & d1 spec throttle controller.

Rollerboots666 12-30-2011 09:34 PM

Also what grade are people using? I use 91.

Shockwave199 12-31-2011 03:08 AM

Doing worse now that it's winter. I always struggle with mpgs. I have a 24 mile round trip drive to work. Twelve miles a trip is a tough challenge to keep the numbers good, especially in the winter. The only time I do super well is when I get out on the hwy- easily ticking up to the high thirties. If I just fuel up before a hwy trip I do stupendous. But suburban driving- my commute to work- summer= 33 and winter 28-30. Keep in mind that the first quarter tank after filling up is where you'll setup your best numbers. Put up big numbers at that point and you'll come out with good numbers at the end. Put up low numbers just after filling up, and you'll struggle to regain good numbers. The AVG ticks down faster than it'll tick up for you as you chug through the tank. The best habit you can learn is to let the car coast as much as possible. When the car is moving but you aren't using the pedal to do it, you'll see AVG continue to rise. And the quicker you get into fifth, the quicker you'll be more efficient. Slow accelleration doesn't do it with the fit. Run out the gears normally and get into fifth for best results in fuel economy. That and tire pressure. When I can't keep up fuel economy, it's tire pressure. When properly inflated, my AVG can remain rock steady without dropping.

specboy 12-31-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mhadden (Post 1060010)
I envy you. I love to drive, but driving to and from work sucks. It takes 15 hours a week out of my leisure time!

I miss the drive some times to the old job as it took me on a great road here in VT from Brandon VT to Sudbury (Rt 73) which has banked curves along a winding river, then up over the mountain with more twists, turns, and dropouts. That Said, I love getting home at 5:10pm instead of 6pm for more time with my wife and son. My commute is about to get 2 miles shorter even more. currently 6 miles, soon to be 4... new house!!!! wooohoo!

Originally Posted by Rollerboots666 (Post 1060161)
Also what grade are people using? I use 91.

Been using 87 almost the whole time. The 3 tanks of 91/93 that I used successively returned an increase of 0mpg. only difference between that and 87 was the additional money I didn't have in my bank account. My 2 years of 38mpg average was all done on 87.

~SB

Steve244 12-31-2011 10:11 AM

36mpg metro atlanta. 09 Base auto. 87 octane. 30%/70% city/freeway.

If you feel the need to put more than regular gas in Honda's cheapest, lowest power, economy car, then you probably should have bought a BMW.

The only cars that benefit from higher octane are those where the manufacturer recommends it, or it has been modified with bolt on blowers etc.

Let the premium follies for 2011 commence!