2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 2012 Fit Sport tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Picking up my 2012 Fit Sport tomorrow!

Hi fellow Fit owners. After an agonizing week and a half of waiting, my dealer finally located my polished metal metallic AT Fit Sport, and I am all set to pick it up tomorrow.

I got my Gorilla locks in today from Amazon, and will probably also get the Honda locks when I order my other accessories from College Hills. So far I am also looking at the center folding armrest which I hope to self install (wish me luck), the cargo cover, all weather floor mats, and the cargo tray. I am super pissed I missed the cyber Monday free shipping promo yesterday, I don't know how I missed that thread. I completely forgot it was cyber Monday though. Maybe I'll try to hold out for a possible Christmas sale.

I am thinking about getting the 3m clear bra. I went to a local place today (Tintmax) and was quoted $700 for the whole front including 24" (I think) up the hood and mirrors with 8mm film, and 12" width of 14mm film on the rear bumper. I don't remember if lights were included or not. I also got a quote from Lorenzo Tint in the Bronx, which has a stellar reputation, for "1/3rd hood, full front bumper wrap, Mirrors,headlights & Fogs $875.00 [less $75.00 l.. ight kit]. The rear lower impact area . $140.00..."

Does anyone have the clear bra and care to share their thoughts. From what I have read most people think it's worth it if done right. It's just a lot of $$ to lay out, especially since I'm not really great on keeping my cars washed and clean in general.

I also plan to change the stock horn based on what I have read here in the forums.

I'm not much of a car guy in general, but getting this new Fit is pretty exciting to me, so I figured I should have some fun with it. I'm glad to have a forum like this to learn from and share info with.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I must say, after seeing how your user name was typed out, I didn't expect such a readable post. Enjoy the new car, I'm on my 2nd tank of gas in my 2012, really dig it so far.

Cheers!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Wish I had got the clear bra on the hood at least. Hood takes a beating with the GE's. Everything else is relatively cheap to replace once they get really torn up but I doubt the hood is.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
The front bumper and hood on Fit's definitely take a beating, but I'm not sure I could justify spending that much. That's about what it would cost to repaint the hood, bumper, and mirrors. A repaint is guaranteed to fix any blemishes. The clear bra is only an attempt to avoid them.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Guess I'm not understand the "hood takes a beating" thing I keep
reading over and over regarding the Fit.

I've had my Fit since March... the hood is still in showroom condition
now as it was in March.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
Guess I'm not understand the "hood takes a beating" thing I keep
reading over and over regarding the Fit.

I've had my Fit since March... the hood is still in showroom condition
now as it was in March.
Yeah, I've puzzled a lot over this too...maybe it has to do with the kind of roads one drives on? Although don't know who would drive on a lot of gravel roads or behind gravel trucks, etc...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
NYC roads are pretty bad. Winter salting, lots of potholes, and plenty of loose rocks and debris coupled with lots of traffic and trucks ensures almost everyone drives around with chips and nicks on the front of their car. And the back bumper can practically be destroyed over time depending on which neighborhoods you park in. My old car has plenty of hood and front end chips, and quite a few nicks on the rear bumper (though not as bad as many other cars I see).

I picked up my Fit today and I absolutely love it. I haven't actually seen the Fit in polished metal before, it looks awesome. Based on the damage I have received on my old car, I think I will probably invest the money in front and rear protection and try to keep the car looking nice. I'm going to think on it for a couple of days.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
We drive a lot on I-95, I-75, FL Turnpike, and I-85. We have gotten rock chips from all of them. I think if you drive on Interstates you get rock chips. Keep in mind that I'm meticulous and wash and wax my own car so I see the little imperfections. We have the Honda hood deflector and it has helped deflect rocks from about half of the hood, but doesn't do anything for the front bumper or top half of the hood. The windshield has a coupld of chips also. We are EXTREMELY anal about where we drive and park, but some things are unavoidable over the course of 3 1/2 years.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the explanations everyone! Metalofearth let us know what you decide to do. I alternate between wanting to do everything for protection, to figuring it is hopeless and might as well do nothing.

What about the body side moldings--do they help with door dings?

Yes I love the PMM and have seen it IRL.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
Thanks for the explanations everyone! Metalofearth let us know what you decide to do. I alternate between wanting to do everything for protection, to figuring it is hopeless and might as well do nothing.

What about the body side moldings--do they help with door dings?

Yes I love the PMM and have seen it IRL.
The dings that have appeared on my doors were above and below the ridge that the side molding would have gone on; I don't think it would have altered the outcome. One was in the raised ridge next to the door handle, about the size of a quarter, and was so deep I thought it'd require repair and painting the door and probably not match. (some GA redneck tough truck no doubt).

Happily I discovered the magic of paintless dent repair. I suffer the heartbreak of dings no more. For $100 the dings disappeared in less than 30 minutes. Find one that does work for car dealerships and it'll be good. There are a lot of "shady" operators.