2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Honda accessory is...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
My first Honda accessory is...

...a Honda cargo tray.

It's nothing earth shattering, but I wanted something to protect the rear cargo area. It sure does fit well and looks real good.

I also removed the front license plate. I've never been big on them and they aren't required in GA. I also removed the dealer advertisement sticker on the hatch.

Nothing here matches the incredible mods I've seen on these forums, but I'm real happy with the start and my Fit!

Name:  P1100231.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  P1100247-1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  86.6 KB

Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Gorgeous color, and I'm with you. I use my hatch area every day. Without the tray my hatch area carpet would be ruined. Since you have a 2012 there is also the option of the cargo liner. Have you seen this? It completely covers the entire hatch area, including the sides and seat-backs. It's OEM, so it will fit perfectly. Last I saw one was on HandA Accessories (handaaccessories.com). This would be nice if you move dirty equipment or if you're an outdoor sports sort of person where you'll have muddy bike wheels, hiking shoes/boots, or any number of things. Get it dirty, and just toss it in the wash.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShadowMoses
Gorgeous color, and I'm with you. I use my hatch area every day. Without the tray my hatch area carpet would be ruined. Since you have a 2012 there is also the option of the cargo liner. Have you seen this? It completely covers the entire hatch area, including the sides and seat-backs. It's OEM, so it will fit perfectly. Last I saw one was on HandA Accessories (handaaccessories.com). This would be nice if you move dirty equipment or if you're an outdoor sports sort of person where you'll have muddy bike wheels, hiking shoes/boots, or any number of things. Get it dirty, and just toss it in the wash.
Thanks! Are there any pictures around showing the new cargo accessory installed? Sounds very interesting.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I just love the new Orangeburst color --I agree cargo tray is one of the most useful & practical accessories you can get.
ShadowMoses-Any photos of the cargo liner you mentioned I assume it works with all the GE8 models.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I haven't seen a picture of it on the car, but that may be because it's a new product. HandA's site says 2012 only, but I'd be willing to bet that it can be made to fit.

The closest thing I've seen to a photo would be the instructions page from HandA: http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit/12cargoliner.pdf

I'm torn between this and the rear seat cover. I'm not sure if both are compatible at the same time, but I'd love to find a way to make both of these work together. After Christmas I'll order one of these, and see how it turns out.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice of accessories. Our tray is 3 1/2 years old now and still looks/works great.

Looks like your Fit has a nice cozy garage to live in! That will keep it looking like new better than anything else you can do.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
That was the second thing I bought, the first being the all-season floor mats. It's nice and a smart purchase.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
My dealer gave me that free, along with a full set of front and rear mats.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't seen a picture of it on the car, but that may be because it's a new product. HandA's site says 2012 only, but I'd be willing to bet that it can be made to fit.

The closest thing I've seen to a photo would be the instructions page from HandA: http://www.handa-accessories.com/fit/12cargoliner.pdf

I'm torn between this and the rear seat cover. I'm not sure if both are compatible at the same time, but I'd love to find a way to make both of these work together. After Christmas I'll order one of these, and see how it turns out.
That cargo liner seems pretty expensive for what it does. When I need to carry stuff that might dirty the car. I lay down a tarp or blanket. Maybe if you always rode with dogs in the back it would be handy, but I really can't figure another use for it.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
That cargo liner seems pretty expensive for what it does. When I need to carry stuff that might dirty the car. I lay down a tarp or blanket. Maybe if you always rode with dogs in the back it would be handy, but I really can't figure another use for it.
Yeah, I can see a tarp working perfectly if you don't frequently have stuff in the back. I'm a bit of a stickler, and I have things in the hatch all the time. The cargo net can help keep things in place, but I frequently transport computers and various other equipment - some of which weigh 70+ lbs - plus in the spring, summer, and fall I mountain bike, road bike, and hike constantly. Having a liner like that in place would keep the sharp edges of those computers from really gouging out the sides of that hatch area. I have a roof rack, but that means my front wheel has to be stored in the hatch. As often as I ride, it would be a pain to keep taking the tarp in and out. Washing the liner once in a while would be easier than constantly cleaning out the back.

Edit:
As far as the price goes, I guess it depends on the use and the perspective. I've had Honda/Acura cars for more than half of my life except for my last car before the Fit. My last car was a 2008 VW R32. I loved it, but holy smokes, the prices of things are waaay above Honda. Everything from accessories to parts to maintenance are higher. I had a Borla exhaust that ran $825 (best sounding car this side of a Gallardo; I'm not kidding, lol. If you haven't heard one, you need to look on youtube), but that was the cheap end. Capristo and Kriessig exhausts run up to 4 grand! If you want to run a turbo, you're looking at $15k just in parts. It's truly mind blowing. Not that I'm Mr. Moneybags; I could never afford 95% of that stuff, but when you come from that scene over to the most entry-level Honda, the prices seem downright relaxing, haha. It feels good to be back in a Honda.

Last edited by ShadowMoses; 12-21-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
...a Honda cargo tray.

It's nothing earth shattering, but I wanted something to protect the rear cargo area. It sure does fit well and looks real good.

I agree and think it looks great and offers good protection but the back lip is the one thing that would make me thing twice about it since I often slide longer items through the back and that lip would impede that. Currently I have an old army blanket to both protect the floor and/or cover what I pout in the back. BTW does that just pull out?

I was thinking about a cargo cover though or possibly some dark tint for the rear and back side windows.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
I haul computers,too as part of my job- but always put them in the rear seat area & have those seats flipped up most of the time. I bought the cargo organizer and keep extra grocery bags, blanket, hiking boots, hat, gloves, etc in the rear cargo area. I have found I tend to haul most smaller items in the rear seat area. I got a hitch mount bike rack since I didn't want to have to lift a bike onto the roof.
Yeah- I suppose it all comes down to how people utilize the different space in the Fit, since there are so many different options for hauling things.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I just put in the cargo cover last night. It fits snugly and operates well, but its a little bit of a let-down for an OEM part that's over $100 bucks. At least on the '12 model, there is about a 3/4" gap between the back of the seat and the front of the cargo cover while the seats are in their farthest back position. I'm getting the windows tinted anyway, which will help, but I sort of expected the cover to meet the back of the seats. I can take a picture and add it to this post.

Edit:
Photo added
Name:  50a1a1e4.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  134.0 KB

Last edited by ShadowMoses; 12-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I just put in the cargo cover last night. It fits snugly and operates well, but its a little bit of a let-down for an OEM part that's over $100 bucks. At least on the '12 model, there is about a 3/4" gap between the back of the seat and the front of the cargo cover while the seats are in their farthest back position. I'm getting the windows tinted anyway, which will help, but I sort of expected the cover to meet the back of the seats. I can take a picture and add it to this post.
Yea, I'd love to see the cargo cover and the 3/4 gap. Is it easy enough to remove and store behind the front seats and can the cover remain in place with the back seats folded down?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
Yea, I'd love to see the cargo cover and the 3/4 gap. Is it easy enough to remove and store behind the front seats and can the cover remain in place with the back seats folded down?
I added the photo of the gap to the post just above. It's very easy to put in and take out, but it's definitely different than any other cargo cover that I've had in any of my other hatchbacks. About a 5 inch section closest to the rear seats is fixed to the sides of the hatch area. When you open the hatch and the cords attached to the tailgate pull the cover upwards, that 5 inch section stays firmly in place. The cover itself is flexible and bends upwards rather that working on a hinge. I've never seen one work in this manner, but it does work nicely. I haven't tried putting it behind the front seats. I feel pretty confident that it would fit, though. It does not get in the way of the seats folding in either direction, up or down.

If you do decide to get the cover, let me warn you that the clips that attach to the tailgate are very tight, and if you're not careful you can easily scratch the paint inside there trying to get them in place. I had to get the rear edge in place and then gently, but firmly, press them into place. There is no way I could have done it with my hands. Once these clips are on there, they're basically on there permanently, which isn't a real problem since I have no need to remove them.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I added the photo of the gap to the post just above. It's very easy to put in and take out, but it's definitely different than any other cargo cover that I've had in any of my other hatchbacks. About a 5 inch section closest to the rear seats is fixed to the sides of the hatch area. When you open the hatch and the cords attached to the tailgate pull the cover upwards, that 5 inch section stays firmly in place. The cover itself is flexible and bends upwards rather that working on a hinge. I've never seen one work in this manner, but it does work nicely. I haven't tried putting it behind the front seats. I feel pretty confident that it would fit, though. It does not get in the way of the seats folding in either direction, up or down.

If you do decide to get the cover, let me warn you that the clips that attach to the tailgate are very tight, and if you're not careful you can easily scratch the paint inside there trying to get them in place. I had to get the rear edge in place and then gently, but firmly, press them into place. There is no way I could have done it with my hands. Once these clips are on there, they're basically on there permanently, which isn't a real problem since I have no need to remove them.
Aaah I see, a picture is worth a thousand words! Not enough to put me off of it but I can see it's not exactly that well thought out.

Also thanks for the heads up on the clip install.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
My dealer gave me that free, along with a full set of front and rear mats.
There is no such thing as free, some dealers just include it in the price right off the bat.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member

Edit:
Photo added
Thank you for posting the Cargo cover pics. I was considering this option as well. Not sure if the gap would push me away. Anyway you can post additional pictures?

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
I agree and think it looks great and offers good protection but the back lip is the one thing that would make me thing twice about it since I often slide longer items through the back and that lip would impede that. Currently I have an old army blanket to both protect the floor and/or cover what I pout in the back. BTW does that just pull out?

I was thinking about a cargo cover though or possibly some dark tint for the rear and back side windows.
The tray just drops in and pulls out very easily.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
Thank you for posting the Cargo cover pics. I was considering this option as well. Not sure if the gap would push me away. Anyway you can post additional pictures?

Thanks again!
As requested, here are some more pics of the cargo cover. Sorry for the terrible lighting, but I hope they do the job. I can get more pics in the sunlight, but part of the problem with getting pics from the outside is that the windows just reflect everything, haha. My photography skills are a bit lacking and my camera is on a iPhone.

I'm satisfied with the cover over all, and I would get it again if I had to do it all over. Having the back covered is one less place that's readily visible to prying eyes.

Name:  63194497.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  0a4ab382.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  a21da448.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  68.7 KB

Quick Reply: My first Honda accessory is...