2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Driving On The Freeway Under Windy Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Driving On The Freeway Under Windy Conditions

Took our new 2012 Honda Sport with automatic transmission, with around 150 miles on the odometer on the freeway. It was windy.Not sure the wind speed but it had some gusts. I was surprised by the effects of the wind on the vehicle and had to reduce my speed from 70 mph to the low 60's. It is going to take some time getting used to. Have others found some problems driving in windy conditions? My prior car, a BMW 5 wagon, wasn't much affected by weather conditions.

The one thing that I was pleased with was how quiet the cabin seemed at freeway speeds. Wind and engine noise seemed very muted with the car stereo and conversation easily heard. In town, the car is a gem. Average mpg has been staying around 28. I hope the mpg will improve over time. Have other owners seen their mpg improve over time? If they have, approximately at what mileage did you see a change?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

In regards to wind and engine noise, I agree. I'm driving a 2011 Fit rental now and it's much louder in the cabin than my 2012. Honda did a good job quieting down the 2012.

Wind gusts will blow the Fit around a bit. I've noticed this as well. I think, for the most part, most small cars will be somewhat affected by wind. Some a little more than others.

MPG should improve as it breaks in. I haven't seen less than 31 and that was the first tank from dealer. I've been averaging around 35. I have 2,200 on the clock. The rental just did 35.5 mpg on this last fill up and it has 23k on the clock.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Light, broad-side, short-wheel base cars usually have problems in the wind. Many have reported plus zero sizing the tires up to a 205/50 will help with stablity and the wind pushing you around.

MPG wise, yes, it should get better. With the Fit, though, you can watch your driving habits/style and watch them climb. There's plenty of mpg threads here but when I use modest but not aggressive hypermiling techniques, I can get up to 38-40, but normal highway driving I return 32-35 normally.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Having driven my 2012 Honda Fit in fairly high winds (25 mph), I think the vehicle is sensitive to crosswinds because for its length and width, the Fit is a fairly "tall" vehicle and as such you can feel the crosswinds.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I guess this is the case of the driver and vehicle that will need a break-in period regarding freeway driving. The more I use the Fit the more I like it especially with the improvement in the mpg today.

Tomorrow I will attempt to purchase the rear cargo cover at the Honda dealership. I think it was $165 without the Costco discount. I am considering purchasing the center console device in the future but from what I have seen on YouTube, the installation looks like a headache.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
IMO this car is absolutely horrible in the wind.

I believe this has something to do with the spring rates and the fact that Honda throught you might actually haul something in it.

Ive got 140 pounds of sand in the back and it feels MUCH better.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
I have done a bit more freeway driving and the car does get moved around but I am learning to adapt my driving behavior. I believe I can more appreciate the air dynamics that occur on the freeway and may have to drive more slowly in the event of strong wind conditions. Had the car at 75 mph for the first time and am very surprised how quiet the Fit seems. I played some music and it was easy to listen to and the volume didn't have to be increased from the slower driving range. The car seems to have plenty of power to get on the freeway and merge into traffic. Their is no sense of being underpowered.The more I drive it the more I like it.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Redfitowner
I have done a bit more freeway driving and the car does get moved around but I am learning to adapt my driving behavior. I believe I can more appreciate the air dynamics that occur on the freeway and may have to drive more slowly in the event of strong wind conditions. Had the car at 75 mph for the first time and am very surprised how quiet the Fit seems. I played some music and it was easy to listen to and the volume didn't have to be increased from the slower driving range. The car seems to have plenty of power to get on the freeway and merge into traffic. Their is no sense of being underpowered.The more I drive it the more I like it.
My experience has been much the same. Strong SF Bay Bridge winds moved the Fit around a bit but slowing down and steering to correct it wasn't too traumatic.

Not sure how much difference to AT is but with my MT I have no problem in getting up the Fwy speed quickly.I also find the car a joy to drive. Had it loaded up with a heavy load and it handled very nicely with the load in it.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
The factory 185 width tires aren't helping either. I'm not sure why Honda made the GE taller and bigger than the GD and then put narrower tires on it (well, yes I know it was strictly for fuel mileage reasons, but that's a narrow minded thought). That really exacerbates the highway wind problem. When it's time to replace tires, switch to 205's and some of the problem will go away.

Our GD with a rear sway bar (which yours has stock) and 205's does not get blown around much at all.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
The factory 185 width tires aren't helping either. I'm not sure why Honda made the GE taller and bigger than the GD and then put narrower tires on it (well, yes I know it was strictly for fuel mileage reasons, but that's a narrow minded thought). That really exacerbates the highway wind problem. When it's time to replace tires, switch to 205's and some of the problem will go away.

Our GD with a rear sway bar (which yours has stock) and 205's does not get blown around much at all.
The GE isn't any taller than the GD. They are both 60.0".

Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Lower it and your wind issues shall disappear!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
The GE isn't any taller than the GD. They are both 60.0".
Maybe according to the factory, but park the two side by side and the GE is taller. My Mom has a GE and it's a good 2 - 3" taller than our GD. Both are stock height.

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
this topic has been beaten to death. it's not the car so much as the garbage stock tires on it. seriously.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
this topic has been beaten to death. it's not the car so much as the garbage stock tires on it. seriously.
While the stock tires are garbage, I still get blown arround with 185/60R14 General Altimax Arctics on the car (which, sadly, are a huge improvement in every way over the stock tires, and they are deep treaded snows...). That said, I did 70-75 in light, road covereing snow, with crosswinds gusting in the 35-40mph range. Kept me on my toes but I did that for 120 miles on a recent trip with no problems.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
regardless of tires the car does not do very well in crosswind. if you think it's fine that's great, but then that just says you dont know what you're really missing from true stable cars.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM
i'm not disagreeing. a short wheelbase car with a tall profile won't be great but changing out the stock tires helps tremendously.

i should have stated "it's the fault of the car to a much lesser degree than it is the fault of the stock tires."

have i driven stable cars at speed? maybe not. i mean the best handling car i've ever owned (and currently still own) is a 1991 BMW E30.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't know about you guys but I love getting blown.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
While the stock tires are garbage, I still get blown arround with 185/60R14 General Altimax Arctics on the car (which, sadly, are a huge improvement in every way over the stock tires, and they are deep treaded snows...). That said, I did 70-75 in light, road covereing snow, with crosswinds gusting in the 35-40mph range. Kept me on my toes but I did that for 120 miles on a recent trip with no problems.
The Generals are very sloppy tires. They are great in the winter but have very soft sidewalls. I'm on Year 2 of our Generals running on 15" alloys and the first two weeks of driving every winter takes a little bit of driving changes to deal with how mushy and sloppy the car feels during cornering. going back to the Oem bridgestones was like night/day difference on responsiveness. The Bridgestones however are louder than the Generals and I'll be doing some shopping soon for replacement summer tires for the fit as the OEMs wore out in less than 27K miles.

I feel like I get blown around more on the Generals than the oe tires. Some Decent all-season rubber should help with wind and handling.

~SB

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
The Generals are very sloppy tires. They are great in the winter but have very soft sidewalls. I'm on Year 2 of our Generals running on 15" alloys and the first two weeks of driving every winter takes a little bit of driving changes to deal with how mushy and sloppy the car feels during cornering. going back to the Oem bridgestones was like night/day difference on responsiveness. The Bridgestones however are louder than the Generals and I'll be doing some shopping soon for replacement summer tires for the fit as the OEMs wore out in less than 27K miles.

I feel like I get blown around more on the Generals than the oe tires. Some Decent all-season rubber should help with wind and handling.

~SB
My fit came with Dunl0p SP31 A/S in 175/65r15 and they were the worst tires I have ever had the displeasure of driving on. The Generals improved on them in every way except road noise, but I bought the studded ones, so I expected that. That said, the Generals are very squishy tires still, I run them about 36psi all around to help mitigate that.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
My fit came with Dunl0p SP31 A/S in 175/65r15 and they were the worst tires I have ever had the displeasure of driving on. The Generals improved on them in every way except road noise, but I bought the studded ones, so I expected that. That said, the Generals are very squishy tires still, I run them about 36psi all around to help mitigate that.
Same here (36psi). I ran them about 32 for a month or two last season and oh man... was that awful. No issues in snow though.

~SB