2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Honda Fit Base Auto buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Rofl sol. I'm with you.

Mr OP. dude, have you checked Japanese exchange rates? You do realize the fit hasnt raised much in price since it was introduced, but the dollar has gotten STUPID low in that same time frame correct? Honda is damn near LOSING money on you buying a fit. I actually think they are. You have unreal expectations. Buy a fit and start saving money in gas and smile every time you get in it, don't look back.

Or, go buy a ford and gtfo

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
it isn't a fucking used car. the dealerships move these cars, if you don't buy it, someone else will. they aren't going to lose money on the car. how else are they in business?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
....OP is basically one of these folks who think their green is worth more than anybody else's, it's an entitlement thing. Take your $14K over to Hyundai, I'm sure you'll be much more welcome over there.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Whoa, what happened to this thread? I think I missed some posts that have since been deleted? Anyway, hey, I am just thinking about buying, and wanted to share my results. Here are my latest numbers:

Went to the dealer, asking for 17500 OTD for a base auto, we talked about it for a while. They seemed willing to talk about it alright, it basically comes down to there are zero incentives for them to sell under their "invoice" cost. I still don't believe their invoice numbers, but whatever. My offer would of also included 500 cash down, and I want to finance with the right APR and said I would buy right there. It would amount to approximately 1300 below invoice for them. They said no! Their bottom line price is 16,648 plus, tax, fees, registration, all that amounting to almost a 19,000 dollar car! For 117 horses? I really like the Fit, but I will pass for now.

The finance manager told me my numbers were not that terrible, if there were incentives in place for the fit but unfortunately there are not. Like I said before, we have time. Will probably start looking at other vehicles. But damn, I really want one. Just think its crap to pay that much.

I am going to try some different markets, have fam in Cali and AZ. Utah seems locked into these prices.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
It's not the horses you're paying for, it's the reliability and longevity and resale value of a made in Japan Honda.
And those 117 horses don't eat much so they end up saving money in the long run.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
You make an interesting point. A reason I might cave in and grab one, is that in fact every one I have seen is made in japan. I like that. On the same lot, all the new civics are made in Canada??? Did not know they made them there, now. Really glad I got my accord back in 03 made in Japan.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I would say 14,000 is way to low. 17,500 might get their attention but I still think the eventual number will be higher. Honda is loosing their shirt on these in the U.S, which is why there are no dealer incentives.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by gdhi11
I would say 14,000 is way to low. 17,500 might get their attention but I still think the eventual number will be higher. Honda is loosing their shirt on these in the U.S, which is why there are no dealer incentives.

I don't really have any sympathy for Honda. I like their cars (obviously, I own one), but I think the Fit is way overpriced. I would like to have one for sure, but at this point I cannot spend the near 19K OTD it seems the dealers here want me to spend for a Fit BASE! I am not even trying to buy the Sport model. I have just read way to many instances (here and on other sites) of folks buying Sports for close to 19K, why in the world would I spend that much, for the Base??? I think the market here in Utah is pretty firm on these numbers.

We are going to go test drive the 2013 Hyundai Accent 5D Hatchback SE in the next week or so. Seems like WAY more car and much cheaper. Fully loaded SE has better options than the Fit and more power, and MUCH better MPG?

I will continue harping my local Honda Dealers too, but I guess its worth a shot to check out other brands.

Last edited by vgoose; 07-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM
You are dumb as shit.

Please convert that price of a fit into Japanese yen. You will see how FUCKING RETARDED low proved it is, and that people in Japan pay way more for the same vehicles, with less safety and emissions bullshit. Then you will see that Honda is not making a penny off selling these.

You must be one of the Craigslist trolls too. I have my car up for sale for 5 grand. They offer 1500 and then raise to 1800. Then proceed to tell me they are out of a job and blablablabla who gives a fuck.

Why would you go try to buy a 17,000 car with 14k?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
You are dumb as shit.
Someone not have their coffee this morning? Well, all I have to say to your post is... go f*#K your self. Please don't take your inadequacies out on me bro.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Lol. I went in and bought a fit. Had 0 problems paying for a quality Japanese made car that currently has 17k on it in 6 months with 0 problems. You seem to be the one hopping on a fit forum complaining about an "overpriced" car. Go whine on the hyundai forums. They may all take your side

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Lol. I went in and bought a fit. Had 0 problems paying for a quality Japanese made car that currently has 17k on it in 6 months with 0 problems. You seem to be the one hopping on a fit forum complaining about an "overpriced" car. Go whine on the hyundai forums. They may all take your side
Nice, a more reasonable post that I can comment on. Thank you. Okay sure, I think that paying 19K for a underpowered econobox is difficult. Does that mean I wont do it? No. I am still thinking about it. I am not trying to be a troll or anything you claim. Just trying to figure it out. It comes down to if it's worth the 2-3K more I would pay for a Honda vs. similar cars in that class , yes Honda's are reliable (I have one!) but dude, 17K miles? I mean, I doubt any new car would have problems at 17K lol. That does not say much.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Uhhhhhhhh bs. My aunts fiesta (sp?) was at the dealership 4 times in the first 6 months for abs/vsa/engine lights randomly coming on and the car dying. Guess what? She bought a ford. Do a search on here and look for the guy that was going to buy a fit, but decided on a focus instead (it cost about the same) and then see just a few short months later him saying he regret buying the car because it had to be towed to the dealership once already (maye twice?)

Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Uhhhhhhhh bs. My aunts fiesta (sp?) was at the dealership 4 times in the first 6 months for abs/vsa/engine lights randomly coming on and the car dying. Guess what? She bought a ford. Do a search on here and look for the guy that was going to buy a fit, but decided on a focus instead (it cost about the same) and then see just a few short months later him saying he regret buying the car because it had to be towed to the dealership once already (maye twice?)

That is compelling! yeah, I don't know anything about "other" brands just yet. The reason i bought my honda back in 03 was because I heard these horror stories with other brands, like VW, nissan, etc. The quality issue is a good argument for buying Honda. Has anything changed?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Honestly... Some. They have had to cut corners to keep cars in a price range. All of these corners seem to be in interior and small stuff like that. (from what I've seen). I think the problem is, Honda is and has always spent alot on the main components so They are reliable as hell, then have to have the rest of the car cheaper(interior mostly). This is good and bad. For the person trading a car in every 2 years, this is bad. They won't run into the shit build quality issues with the other makes, an like better interiors. But for the people that buy a car to keep it, and want a reliable car for 200k, Honda is where it's at.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Well. A friend a from work bought a fit base auto for 17k otd so lower numbers are doable but basically there is a premium on these cars. Not being jerky but I'd rather spend my extra premium and get the Honda. I'm not trolling but Korean manufacturing is not comparable to Japanese.

Think the price is to steep? Buy a corolla or something.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by gdhi11
Well. A friend a from work bought a fit base auto for 17k otd so lower numbers are doable but basically there is a premium on these cars. Not being jerky but I'd rather spend my extra premium and get the Honda. I'm not trolling but Korean manufacturing is not comparable to Japanese.

Think the price is to steep? Buy a corolla or something.
1: OTD pricing across states is difficult to compare. Sales tax and registration costs can raise the price substantially.

2: The timing of his purchase also matters. I got my 2010 auto sport with navi for right at 20k, but that was in the summer of 2010, before the tsunami messed up supply and the exchange rate was a bit better.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
1: OTD pricing across states is difficult to compare. Sales tax and registration costs can raise the price substantially.

2: The timing of his purchase also matters. I got my 2010 auto sport with navi for right at 20k, but that was in the summer of 2010, before the tsunami messed up supply and the exchange rate was a bit better.
Clarified: 17k in Illinois 7.5% tax bought 3 weeks ago.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
OTD is the wrong way to compare car pricing. Tax title tag should not be used across different states - too misleading too many variables.

The price of the car, any dealer add ons that are in the price, delivery charges, and any doc fees they won't negotiate on are more useful than the OTD amount.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Best OTD price I have received here in Utah is right around 18,800 for a base model. I am sorry, yes, taxes differ etc., but how can some get Sport models for 19K? That's all i am saying. I think at this point I will hold off all together and wait for the 2013s to come out, and maybe get a better deal on the 2012 Base. Like I have said the whole time, not in a hurry to buy. But I do like em!

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Fit Base Auto buying experience