2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First Major Mod - Bixenon Projector Retrofit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
First Major Mod - Bixenon Projector Retrofit!

This isn't my first retrofit I've done, so I was pretty familiar with the process. I would have had it done in a couple hours total if I didn't blackhouse the bezel (i let it dry overnight). Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the look and the output. I haven't put them on the car, as i didn't get enough time to pull the bumper yet, plus I'd like to do the accord horn upgrade while I'm in there.

Let me know what you guys think! Also off topic, but can a moderator change my user name? I left a letter out and its driving me nuts

And this is just one of the projectors on. I was test firing and making sure the shield solenoid was functioning correctly.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Looks nice!

Great to see the painted bezel's retrofit on a CBP... Now I get an idea of what it will look like on mine when I get to the retrofit.

Post up install pics when you're done.

Which projectors did you use?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Looks nice!

Great to see the painted bezel's retrofit on a CBP... Now I get an idea of what it will look like on mine when I get to the retrofit.

Post up install pics when you're done.

Which projectors did you use?
I couldn't find any great example pics of what it would look like with the CBP paint, so i just dove in and it worked out great!

I used morimoto H1 projectors with Apollo shrouds. 5000K bulbs. Someone told me that I'd need to trim some adapter or something to get it to line up correctly, but i installed them and they were perfect without any trimming necessary.

One thing i'm worried about (maybe I shouldn't be), is that I did not epoxy or glue the shrouds onto the projector itself. There weren't any clips to hold it on, it was just a sort of 'press-fit' type of deal. I'm hoping regular driving doesn't jar the shrouds loose, or I'll have to reopen these things and glue them on.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Very nice! About how much did this upgrade cost you total? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this mod but frankly the unknown price amount and my ignorance in the field of projectors scares me.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shar
One thing i'm worried about (maybe I shouldn't be), is that I did not epoxy or glue the shrouds onto the projector itself. There weren't any clips to hold it on, it was just a sort of 'press-fit' type of deal. I'm hoping regular driving doesn't jar the shrouds loose, or I'll have to reopen these things and glue them on.
Don't be too worried, it seems you have the baking process down packed if you have to open them up again, plus iirc, I've only read of one person (afaik) who had to re-open to epoxy them. I think there was another instance where the light was "leaking" behind the shroud causing some glare which had to be sealed, but that could've been the ccfl/led rings, I can't remember exactly.

Looks like you're good to go.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KCTitan
Very nice! About how much did this upgrade cost you total? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this mod but frankly the unknown price amount and my ignorance in the field of projectors scares me.
Whatever you can find a spare set of headlights for plus the projectors (about $120), pick your shrouds (depending on which ones, they are roughly $40 a pair) then some sort of HID kit with H1 bulbs (about $40-50 on ebay), an H4 bixenon harness (maybe $15), and then cost of spray paint. Everything together you're looking at a several hundred in parts, then plan on a couple evenings of labor (this isn't something you'd want to rush).

I'll be reselling my headlights is the plan after i get these installed. OR i might open them up and do another retrofit then sell them. Haven't decided yet.

Last edited by Shaar; 07-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Don't be too worried, it seems you have the baking process down packed if you have to open them up again, plus iirc, I've only read of one person (afaik) who had to re-open to epoxy them. I think there was another instance where the light was "leaking" behind the shroud causing some glare which had to be sealed, but that could've been the ccfl/led rings, I can't remember exactly.

Looks like you're good to go.
I was relieved when i found that my oven was just the right size to accommodate these monster sized headlights. So yea I'm not too worried about having to reopen if necessary. I'm not looking forward to pulling the bumper off - doesn't look like a fun job.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Pulling off the bumper isn't too bad. Just make sure you keep track of all the clips and tabs.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thefit09
Pulling off the bumper isn't too bad. Just make sure you keep track of all the clips and tabs.
Is it a quick job? I have to pull the bumper on my accord wagon as well to get the headlights out, but i've done it so many times i can drop it in about 5 minutes. I should probably cite the diy i've seen on here for pulling the headlights. I think it covers the bumper removal as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah from what I've read taking off the bumper is quick and easy... I think there's some DIY's hidden in other DIY threads.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah from what I've read taking off the bumper is quick and easy... I think there's some DIY's hidden in other DIY threads.
Great Thats good news.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
yea ive taken mine off that it takes me like 5 min to do so lol but like thefit09 said, make sure u keep tabs of the tabs lol and/or be easy with them cause ive snapped a couple ;/

Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
yea ive taken mine off that it takes me like 5 min to do so lol but like thefit09 said, make sure u keep tabs of the tabs lol and/or be easy with them cause ive snapped a couple ;/
I read a lot of people snapping tabs and clips on these cars haha. I just ordered the 09 accord horns for an upgrade while i'm in there. Got a good discount on them since i get wholesale pricing at the local dealer. I had them pull in both the high and low horn and a couple spare clips.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
I read a lot of people snapping tabs and clips on these cars haha. I just ordered the 09 accord horns for an upgrade while i'm in there. Got a good discount on them since i get wholesale pricing at the local dealer. I had them pull in both the high and low horn and a couple spare clips.

Thanks for the info!
yea no problem, its like 13 tabs give or take and 6 screws. then u just pull it off and then when u dont clip it back on and ass the tabs and screws.. its easy.. def post up pics when u are done ! and the horns are so worth it

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
yea no problem, its like 13 tabs give or take and 6 screws. then u just pull it off and then when u dont clip it back on and ass the tabs and screws.. its easy.. def post up pics when u are done ! and the horns are so worth it
My wife should like the upgrades even though i keep using her as the excuse for me doing this. Its her car but slowly and secretly I will change things on it.

I can just imagine a future conversation between us:

"Hunny why does my front bumper scrape the driveway now when I pull in?"

"I have no idea babe....... (hiding coilover boxes)"

She thinks I'm retarded for lowering my accord, and makes jokes about how I would total it if i ran over a grasshopper. sigh women...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

......."Hunny why does my front bumper scrape the driveway now when I pull in?"

"I have no idea babe....... (hiding coilover boxes)" ...
Ahahaha...

I hear ya, after almost 4 yrs of me buying & modding stuff on my GE8, my gf is more proactive than me to get the build complete... Pushing me to buy the next mods on the list, even offering to help.

That's what I'm waiting for too though regarding the retro fit, going to upgrade the horn to the JDM Bosch, retrofit headlights, lower grill mesh (to protect condenser), and a few other things I got lined up. I figure when I pull the bumper might as well finish it all off at once.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
That's what I'm waiting for too though regarding the retro fit, going to upgrade the horn to the JDM Bosch, retrofit headlights, lower grill mesh (to protect condenser), and a few other things I got lined up. I figure when I pull the bumper might as well finish it all off at once.
Thanks for the reminder on the lower grill mesh! I remember reading about that back in 2009 when we first bought the car. Definitely something good to do while i'm in there.

I would like to change the front grill out for something sleeker/sportier, but don't feel like dropping more money on something that doesn't benefit the driving experience (or at least I SHOULDN'T )

Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
....I would like to change the front grill out for something sleeker/sportier, but don't feel like dropping more money on something that doesn't benefit the driving experience (or at least I SHOULDN'T )....
The Mugen looks nice & JDP has a carbon grill, but those cost $$$.

You could always do some customizing, like Tork's chrome strip mod ( https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...grill-mod.html ) on the front grill, or I've seen some paint the "border" in red, that looks good too.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Is it a quick job? I have to pull the bumper on my accord wagon as well to get the headlights out, but i've done it so many times i can drop it in about 5 minutes. I should probably cite the diy i've seen on here for pulling the headlights. I think it covers the bumper removal as well.
After your user name+location+accord wagon = I think we know each other.

Headlights look good! Wanna do a set of GD?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by swade
After your user name+location+accord wagon = I think we know each other.

Headlights look good! Wanna do a set of GD?
Oh hay dair

Sure! I've been trying to get my username fixed on here, but can't get ahold of anyone to help me out :-/ stupid me flew through the registration and didn't realize the misspelling until i tried to go back in and log into my CP. Fail on my part

Quick Reply: First Major Mod - Bixenon Projector Retrofit!