2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracked by its own - from bottom middle where cowl is

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Windshield cracked by its own - from bottom middle where cowl is

Car was parked at a parking lot corner where no car comes near by with front facing a sidewalk. It was HOT... Couple hours after, I come out to find long crack emanating from center cowl up toward the roof!

At least, I cannot feel any impact point along the crack line. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow to see if this is covered under warranty or not. Googled and found a lot of Fit seems to have this problem...

Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Does it look kind of like this TSB? http://www.filedropper.com/a12-006. (You might have to poke around for the download link; if anybody knows a better file hosting site let me know!)

Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
you can give it a try, but not likely glass is covered under warranty, and you need to see if warranty is still in place for you. If you have the 2009 per your join date, it's been about 3 years, so timing is right at the end.

It maybe too late for you, but it is highly recommended for our car to make sure your insurance coverage has low deductible for glass (it usually does not cost too much more, you use it once and it has paid for itself).

The shape of our windshield seems to result in more cracks/breaking than other cars.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-27-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same thing happen to my car shortly after buying in in July 2006... It was chipped on the lower corner before being installed at the factory and replaced under warranty at a dealership 45 miles away.. I had been on a trip down on the Mexican border and the crack acted as a magnifying glass and seriously burned my legs before taking it in.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Check along the crack where the cowling meets the windshield for a point of impact.

Mine cracked overnight like yours, spreading up from the cowling. But it was from a rock impact a few days prior. It sounded like something cracked when the rock hit, but I never found any damage so thought I was alright. Turns out the original chip was obscured by the cowling. Maybe yours was like this...or maybe yours was a defect.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
^- agree. Can be due to previous impact causing a tiny fault. Same way you can drop a glass in the sink, no problem ... and it cracks next time you make tea.

No insurance company wants you driving with no windshield, for pretty obvious reasons. Should be an easy fix if you call them

Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Visited the dealer, showed the TSB, which looks very much like how mine is, but unfortunately, my 3 year bumper to bumper warranty expired a week ago. The manager could not find any impact point using pin/pen, so he did agree this could be due to issue mentioned in the TSB, but he really did not want to budge on saying that my warranty expired and the windshield replacement will not be covered under warranty.

I checked the window replacement cost at nearly repair shop (Safelite) and it's about $350 using non-Honda glass. Since my insurance deductible is higher than that, I am going pay out of pocket. Really sucks that his happened right after the warranty expired.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Update: Got it replaced for $250 parts and labor at a place recommended by Angies' List (US only). What's funny was there was another Fit waiting for windshield replacement with almost the exact windshield crack like mine, and it was purchased from the same dealer... AND it's warranty ran out like a month ago.

This can't be a coincidence! I strongly suspect there's something definitely wrong with 2009-2010 Honda Fit's windshield.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
Car was parked at a parking lot corner where no car comes near by with front facing a sidewalk. It was HOT... Couple hours after, I come out to find long crack emanating from center cowl up toward the roof!

At least, I cannot feel any impact point along the crack line. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow to see if this is covered under warranty or not. Googled and found a lot of Fit seems to have this problem...

My 2010 Fit did he same thing. No hint of a stone impact. covered by insurance. Wasn't even going to try talking warranty from Honda.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
It is probably the high temperatures this summer that are in some way causing this to happen.. Putting vent visors on you car, tinting your windows and then top of windshield, using a shade inside the windshield and not rolling the windows completely up would lower the temperature inside the car... When I was a little kid in 1955-56 I saw a lot of cars that had windshields and rear windows that had cracks like a glass marble that had been baked in an oven and dropped in cold water. It was during a period of drought with record high temperatures.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
IMO, if Honda recognizes there's windshield crack issue for 2009-2010 Honda Fit (as indicated by service bulletin 12-006), then the repair should be covered regardless of whether the car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty or not.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Had mine cracked (2009) but it was from a stone impact. I always crack my windows and put up my sunshade.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
IMO, if Honda recognizes there's windshield crack issue for 2009-2010 Honda Fit (as indicated by service bulletin 12-006), then the repair should be covered regardless of whether the car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty or not.
Yea, but until when? The end of time?

devil's advocate, the user's expectation doesn't match with the warranty.
People expect their windshields to last more than 3years, but the warranty is saying we only can guarantee it for 3years...Powertrain and all that of course is much longer.
In some sense, you did get 3years of use out of it... And logically, they don't have magic to make the windshield crack at 3years 1month, versus 2years 11months. Sometimes it is just luck.

Anyway, do check your insurance to see what it costs to reduce the deductible. You maybe surprised that it is not too expensive, and will work out considering you would have to pay $250 out of pocket again perhaps randomly within 3years time.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thefit09
I always crack my windows and put up my sunshade.
It's something that is commonly done during the long hot summers down here... The folks up north are having the same kind of insanely high temperatures that we have always had and I wanted to share that with them... A lot of people came down here from northern cities following the corporations relocating here during the late 1970s.. They were driving cars they had bought in the north and very few of them were equipped with A/C... I hired a few of them to deliver the afternoon newspaper in apartment complexes and hoped with all my heart that none of them died from the heat.. They turned out to be tougher than I anticipated and a couple of them enjoyed the challenge of man against the elements and continued chunking papers even after getting good paying full time jobs.. Yankees are very interesting critters..

Old 07-31-2012, 03:00 PM
If not a warranty fix, make sure you call your insurance company before paying out of pocket for a new one. Most large insurance companies (with exception of State Farm ask me how I know) cover windshields 100% with no deductible and no change in your premium.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Yea, but until when? The end of time?

devil's advocate, the user's expectation doesn't match with the warranty.
People expect their windshields to last more than 3years, but the warranty is saying we only can guarantee it for 3years...
I expect the windshield to last the life time of the car if no external event was responsible for cracking it. Have you heard of any cars where the windshield will crack on its own due to internal defect, but NOT due to chipping, temperature fluctuation (i.e., dumping hot boiling water on ice covered windshield - which I've done before ) etc?

My gripe with Honda is that they KNOW there is a defect that will crack the windshield on its own for 2009-2010 Fit, but not owning up to it.

---
Thanks for the advice regarding the insurance, but my insurance company categorizes the windshield replacement into comprehensive coverage. They do, however, provide free windshield chip repair.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice regarding the insurance, but my insurance company categorizes the windshield replacement into comprehensive coverage. They do, however, provide free windshield chip repair.
As a side note, I work in insurance, and while windshield claims are technically within the category of comprehensive claims, a lot of companies actually offer a separate $0 glass deductible regardless of whatever your comprehensive deductible is. It varies from state to state, but it's something worth looking into. Which insurance company do you have?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Which insurance company do you have?
State Farm

Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
That's not a "bad" thing. State Farm is a pretty good company, maybe your agent just didn't do a good job at explaining certain options.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
hmm i got farmers will they cover it mines not crack but i got a 100/300k cover with them.. yes on my fit yes idk why i got it that high lol said fuk it u never knw lol

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked by its own - from bottom middle where cowl is