2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License-Plate holders - functional purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by SportGirl11
Lol! Yeah I keep mine in my door just in case, luckily it got stepped on in the garage so the "it fell off" excuse will work lol
Same here in NY. My front plate's been off since January. It was mounted from below the bumper so luckily no holes were drilled. I keep it in the trunk with the excuse that "I had just detailed the car and forgot to bolt it back on, but will gladly do so now, officer." Haven't been stopped yet. Just watch, this afternoon...

Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I moved from Vegas to LA in '05 and got stopped for no front plate within three days I ran without one in Vegas for years and never got stopped (it's illegal there too).

Ditched the dealer frames and have my Grassroots Motorsports frame in the back and no frame in the front, even though I hate front plates I just don't want cops to have any reason whatsoever to pull me over anymore

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I moved from Vegas to LA in '05 and got stopped for no front plate within three days I ran without one in Vegas for years and never got stopped (it's illegal there too).

Ditched the dealer frames and have my Grassroots Motorsports frame in the back and no frame in the front, even though I hate front plates I just don't want cops to have any reason whatsoever to pull me over anymore
I ended up mounting the plate in the lower position by turning the mounting brackets upside down. At least the plate will take the first hit on any stones aiming for the center of the AC radiator. (My next project is to fasten a mesh grille inside the opening for real protection). In any case, I hate the looks of front plates. They just mess up the lines of the front end.
Name:  visors2-1.jpg
Views: 5512
Size:  75.5 KB

Old 01-17-2015, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
OEM Style Front Plate Frame

Originally Posted by Triskelion
I used a license plate relocator bracket that I bought on ebaymotors.com., and used a plastic "screw head snap cap", painted to match my stock body color, to cover the ugly screw hole in the bumper.

However, the license plate relocator bracket is thin aluminum and is fairly flexible. If you just hang the plain license plate on it, wind from freeway speeds makes the plate flutter and rattle as it hangs from the lower edge of the upper bumper. A nice heavy cast zinc license plate frame (mine has the Fit logo in gold, bought from Amazon) adds stiffness to the plate and stops the fluttering in the wind.

There is an OEM style front plate bracket that is much cheaper than buying from Honda (isn't everything ). See link (unfortunately this doesn't come with mounting bolts, so I'm actually on this forum to see if anybody knows the correct size/style bolts).

11 2011 Honda Fit License Plate Bracket - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash, Front - PartsGeek

Here's a more expensive one on e-bay, but maybe it includes the mounting bolts?

New 2009 2013 HO1068106 Honda Fit Front Replacement License Plate Bracket | eBay

It bolts through holes in the bottom of the front bumper (the metal behind the plastic cover, not the plastic cover) so it is centered (although I do kind of like the asymetrical look on yours), doesn't cover up as much of the grille area, and most importantly, does not bolt THROUGH the bumper itself.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday so I haven't installed it yet. Being plastic, not sure how flimsy it is, but it feels pretty sturdy, at least while you're standing still.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
My 2009 came with that bracket, so no holes were drilled into the bumper (yay!). One of the first things I did was take off the dealer supplied frames with their name all over them, replaced with some plain black ones I had taken off the previous car. I like having a basic frame ( and smoked plastic covers) for the aesthetics - looks more "finished" to me.