2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug nuts and OEM steel wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Lug nuts and OEM steel wheels

My Fit came with OEM alloy wheels and the smaller lug nuts pictured here.

I recently picked up the longer lug nuts from a wrecking yard and these are supposedly off a Civic. I would like to use the longer lug nuts with my OEM steel wheels in the winter.

My questions are:

1) Are both types of lug nuts pictured the same type? I believe that Honda's use ball type lug nuts with OEM wheels.

2) The wrecker told me that I should be using chrome lug nuts with alloy wheels and not with steel wheels. He said that using chrome lug nuts with steel wheels will result in the lug nuts loosening and I should be using regular steel lug nuts. Could that be even remotely true considering I will torque them to factory specs.

Thanks

--
2009 Fit LX with AT
Canadian version

Last edited by fiteddy; 09-30-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added signature
Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
The main thing is the shape of the nuts where they contact the wheels. Assuming the thread are the same, the nuts you got from the wrecker should work with your winter steels. Just torque them to spec as you do.
I use chrome nuts on steel winters for 30+ years, have not experienced any issue with them coming loose yet.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I drove my CR-V for 2 years with steel wheels and the lug nuts to my factory alloy mags...they never came loose.

CCPDYMMV

Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
are you sure those short nuts weren't already FOR the steel wheels?

cause last I checked, when you get alloy wheels... you don't use those nuts. they should be the covered ends, not pass-through style. the pass-through style is used when you have hubcaps... and alloys don't (afaik).

Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Originally Posted by Goobers
are you sure those short nuts weren't already FOR the steel wheels?

cause last I checked, when you get alloy wheels... you don't use those nuts. they should be the covered ends, not pass-through style. the pass-through style is used when you have hubcaps... and alloys don't (afaik).
OEM specifications for this trim level are alloy wheels and the model year came with the wheels pictured below. The lug nuts are under the center cap. This could explain why they are the open type as they are not exposed to the elements.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fiteddy
Thanks to everyone who responded.

OEM specifications for this trim level are alloy wheels and the model year came with the wheels pictured below. The lug nuts are under the center cap. This could explain why they are the open type as they are not exposed to the elements.
Those are not alloys. They are steelies with hub caps/pie plates.

I use my Chrome lug nuts from my Alloys on my Steelies in the winter as the bottom of the nut is the same.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Those are not alloys. They are steelies with hub caps/pie plates.
Why do you say so? 2009+ Canadian LX models come with alloy wheels standard.

Assuming I don't know the difference between alloys and steel wheels....

• Check out the specs on page 12 of the 2009 Canadian brochure
http://www.hondacanada.ca/NR/rdonlyr...ochureEN09.pdf

• The exact replacement part of the wheel pictured is 42700-TK6-C81, and is described as "DISK, ALUMINUM WHEEL (15X5 1/2J) (ENKEI)" and runs at over CAD 300. The equivalent steel wheel runs at CAD 83.

Last edited by fiteddy; 10-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
from my experience, you can use all types of lugs on steelies.

ball, acorn, and washer type. the washer type (for hubcentric wheels) have a taper at the tip which accomodates steel wheel donuts.

just re-torque a few times. i use 88ft/lbs on steelies as they seem to back out easily.
reason being, the taper contact (friction)area is much smaller than most aluminum wheels. your studs can handle more than 90lbs, so it shouldn't break.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
kenchan, makes sense. I'll just torque them a little tighter and check them a couple of times in the season to get some level of comfort.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Why do you say so? 2009+ Canadian LX models come with alloy wheels standard.

Assuming I don't know the difference between alloys and steel wheels....

• Check out the specs on page 12 of the 2009 Canadian brochure
http://www.hondacanada.ca/NR/rdonlyr...ochureEN09.pdf

• The exact replacement part of the wheel pictured is 42700-TK6-C81, and is described as "DISK, ALUMINUM WHEEL (15X5 1/2J) (ENKEI)" and runs at over CAD 300. The equivalent steel wheel runs at CAD 83.
Well then I am wrong. Never seen them advertised/shown as alloys. I could have sworn they were steelies with hub caps. They have a center cap you pry off to get at the lug nuts then? When you take the wheel off it is just one piece?

I have 16" alloys on my Sport. The Enkeis are upgrades I thought not standard on an LX.

May be some other LX owners here can straighten me out.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Well then I am wrong. Never seen them advertised/shown as alloys. I could have sworn they were steelies with hub caps. They have a center cap you pry off to get at the lug nuts then? When you take the wheel off it is just one piece?

I have 16" alloys on my Sport. The Enkeis are upgrades I thought not standard on an LX.

May be some other LX owners here can straighten me out.
I'm not not an LX owner but he's right bossman, RetroAttack has an LX too and had those on it stock. Canada only.

Too bad, i'd rather those than steelies on the US base

Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I can't recall exactly where I copied this info from and when it was published, but very likely from one of the Canadian newspapers:

Standard features on the Fit DX include five-speed manual transmission, electric power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering, 15-inch steel wheels with wheel covers (up from 14-inch), 60/40 split second-row Magic Seats with flush head restraints, 160-watt AM/FM/CD audio system with two speakers and MP3/Windows Media audio playback capability, MP3/auxiliary input jack, two-speed intermittent windshield wipers, dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, front side airbags with passenger-side occupant position detection system, side curtain airbags, active front head restraints, fuel consumption display, halogen headlights, power side mirrors, power windows with auto-up/down driver’s window, rear window defroster and wiper/washer, immobilizer, and tilt and telescopic steering column.

The mid-level Fit LX, this week’s test car, adds 15-inch alloy wheels, two extra speakers, air-filtration system, heated mirrors, rear roof spoiler, steering wheel-mounted cruise control, driver-side folding armrest, power door locks, and keyless remote.

The top-level Fit Sport adds 16-inch tires and alloys, chrome exhaust tip, 200-watt AM/FM/CD audio system with six speakers and five-mode equalizer, body-coloured underbody kit, fog lights, leather-wrapped steering wheel, security alarm, and USB audio jack.

Yes, they have a plastic center cap that you pry off to get to the lug nuts inside. I haven't taken the wheels off yet, but I am certain it is one piece. And yes, this is Canadian only. I checked the part number on the US sites and no luck. Shows up on the Canadian sites though.

Last edited by fiteddy; 10-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yup Black3sr, the 09-11 Canadian Fit LX comes with 15" alloys (the disk type shown in this thread), the center cap is just that, a cap (not to be confused with hubcaps on steelies). It's a Canadian LX stock wheel (made by Enkei), and the Sport alloys you & I (as well as all 09-11 Fit Sport owners) have are made by Kosei (for Honda). Next time you take off your alloys look at the back of them it says the manufacturer. It's a one piece wheel (2 if you count the center cap)

I know cause I bought a set.

I wished we had the option of choosing which rims we could get, heck, I wish we had the option to customize the car more instead of base/sport, or dx/lx/sport, or whatever the designations are in each country, like 555 can do.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Personally, I like the spokes version of the alloys, not the "disk" version that came stock with my LX.

IIRC only the 2009 Canadian version came with the "disk" alloys. 2010+LX come with the spokes version. Of course, all LX come with 15" alloys and Sport come with 16" alloys.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Personally, I like the spokes version of the alloys, not the "disk" version that came stock with my LX.

IIRC only the 2009 Canadian version came with the "disk" alloys. 2010+LX come with the spokes version. Of course, all LX come with 15" alloys and Sport come with 16" alloys.
Quite possible... I thought that they changed the 15" & 16" alloys with the 2012 mmc.. But you (being in Canada) would probably know better.

The 2009 "spokes" that come on the Sport models took me a while to get used to, they're ok and I kind of like them now, but those pie-cutters I loved since day 1. I plan on alternating between the two sets now that I have them both.... as soon as I mount the TPMS & new tires on the LX alloys.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Well I learned something today then.

My 16 inch spoked alloys are gathering dust now. I like them except when it comes to cleaning them. Wheel designers should have to wash everything they design before putting it on the market.

Here is my latest. I am thinking of powder coating white in the winter while they are off. The blue needs to be redone as well. It has been three years.

Name:  003-21.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  016-1.jpg
Views: 3806
Size:  70.9 KB

Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
^^ it's a good idea to keep 4lugs in the trunk just in case you need to use the donut. your aftermarket lugs will work, but since it is a honda oem donut.

funny, i recently switched to dark colored wheels too.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
^^ it's a good idea to keep 4lugs in the trunk just in case you need to use the donut. your aftermarket lugs will work, but since it is a honda oem donut.

>>> Only if you have a donut.

funny, i recently switched to dark colored wheels too.
>>> I had no choice. They are used. Originally on a Civic then an Echo.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
no donut in candian models.... i keep forgetting.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
no donut in candian models.... i keep forgetting.
No donut only in the Canadian ATs. Canadian 5-speeds have them.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts and OEM steel wheels