2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil Change issue please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Oil Change issue please help

Hey guys so I did an oil change on my 2010 Fit Sport a few days ago and when I did it I was in a hurry which was stupid. Anyways my issue is when I drained the oil I guess I didnt get all of the oil out because the car was tilted the wrong way. So when I filled it back up I put the required 3.8qts but there was still oil left in it. So I was driving around for a day with too much oil. Now I jacked up the drivers side drained all the oil out but when I check the dipstick even with no oil in it it still shows that its twice over the second hole in the dipstick. Is there something I'm doing wrong here and what should I do next. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Is yours an automatic?

Sure you didn't drain the trans fluid instead accidentally?

Did you wipe the dipstick off and reinsert it and check again?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
yes it is an automatic and I'm pretty sure I didnt haha. I seem to remember it being black when I drined it and now its cleaner looking after I put the new oil in. Also yes I wiped it multiple times and put it back in. Do I need to run the car at all for the oil to move?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok youre totally right I'm an idiot and drined the transmission fluid haha thank you. Now how much does that take to fill back up also where do you fill it up from?

Last edited by cleanest135i; 10-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by cleanest135i
Now I jacked up the drivers side drained all the oil out but when I check the dipstick even with no oil in it it still shows that its twice over the second hole in the dipstick.
I'm a little confused on this, you drained all the oil out and it still showed over the second hole on the dipstick when there was no oil in the car?

Or you filled it back up and that's what it shows?

did you start the car yet?

This is why I only add 3 1/4 quarts, start the car, check level, add accordingly.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by cleanest135i
Ok youre totally right I'm an idiot and drined the transmission fluid haha thank you. Now how much does that take to fill back up also where do you fill it up from?
Doh

You aren't the first person that's done this on these forums, it's ok.

Transmission Fluid Level Check Honda Fit (2009-2010) - 2010 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L 4 Cyl.

Skip to #3

Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
do a tranny fluid flush, not just a fill. you should get all the wrong/motor oil out.

tranny takes 3.4 quarts.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
do a tranny fluid flush, not just a fill. you should get all the wrong/motor oil out.

tranny takes 3.4 quarts.
He didn't put motor oil in the trans fill tube, just added twice as much motor oil to the crankcase that was already full.

I think you'll be fine just adding trans fluid, just be sure to go through all the gears and then check the level. Do not add all 3.4 quarts because there probably was still quite a bit of trans fluid in there, you just drained the pan.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
this is why its never a good idea to do things like this in a hurry, you have a greater chance of making mistakes.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Owners Manual is a good thing!

OP, the capacities and drain plug locations are in your Owner's Manual... No sarcasms, just "lessons learned"...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
oh man, that sucks op. but yah, at least it's fixable.

hope you can get new tranny oil back in there soon.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
At least you didn't drive 180mi like my friends wife did in a Kia! She got home and told him it was shifting funny... Wonder why?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow, talk about Deja Vu! Just to show this isn't anything new, and it could happen to anyone (or at least me)...In 1970 I did virtually the same thing in an automatic stickshift VW Bug. Drained the crankcase oil, then added the new oil to the auto transmission fluid pipe. But then too it all worked out once I figured it out and did some serious flushing.

Paul H

Old 05-06-2017, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Resurrecting this old thread about oil level, but with a minor question.

I changed the engine oil in my 2013 Fit Sport and put a bit too much oil in -- the oil level is 1/4 Inch above the upper mark on the dipstick with a cold engine. Is this okay or should I remove some? Thank you.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Drain some out

Originally Posted by Alco RS-1

I changed the engine oil in my 2013 Fit Sport and put a bit too much oil in -- the oil level is 1/4 Inch above the upper mark on the dipstick with a cold engine. Is this okay or should I remove some? Thank you.
it is better to be SLIGHTLY low on oil than to overfill. When you overfill, it is possible rotating engine parts will be low enough to splash and froth the oil. Frothy oil with air mixed in does not lubricate properly and you can cause damage in the long run. I would let a little drain from the drain plug. Make the car level. Turn off engine, let it sit for a few minutes while level. Then check the level. If you are below the top mark add A LITTLE of the oil you drained and reserved...assuming you drained it into a clean container

Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1

I don't believe a 1/4 inch above the full mark will hurt anything, just know it's too full and be more careful the next time.

I see these cars (and others) come in overfilled frequently, from places who apparently believe all cars need 5 quarts of oil with the oil change

Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I have a hand pump for brake fluid changes, so I could easily use that to suck some oil out of the crankcase. If I can find the time, I may do it just to be super safe. When we bought the car (used), it was indeed overfilled by an entire quart as ezone mentioned! I drew out the excess.

The good news is that in the nine months we've owned our '13, it hasn't burned any oil.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure why but my oil level increases over time. Always parked at same spot. I'm very careful to not overfill. Check it several times / days after the initial oil / filter change and it is OK at the beginning.

I may end up with an additional 1/2" by time I have 5000 miles on the recent change.

I have a motorcycle like that too but the truck doesn't move up or down.

Could it be gasoline getting into the oil?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Not sure why but my oil level increases over time. Always parked at same spot. I'm very careful to not overfill. Check it several times / days after the initial oil / filter change and it is OK at the beginning.

I may end up with an additional 1/2" by time I have 5000 miles on the recent change.

I have a motorcycle like that too but the truck doesn't move up or down.

Could it be gasoline getting into the oil?
Notice this more in the winter, less in the summer?
Majority of your driving is short trips?
If so, what you see is probably the result of condensation that has collected in the oil.

(A thermostat stuck open could cause it as well, but I'd think the car would eventually set a fault code P0128 for taking too long to warm up)

Daily, an engine likes to stay at operating temp long enough to get rid of the condensation. Daily, that doesn't take a long time, but it does take time.
Several months of short trips leads to condensation buildup that causes a noticeable rise in the oil level on the dipstick (the oil amount itself hasn't increased, but stuff got added to it)

EDIT: On the plus side, the engine oils we (are supposed to) use these days are able to handle some short trip driving and still protect the engine very well (if you use the correct oil).

An engine would need some extended run time at full operating temperature in order to vaporize water and gasoline condensation out of the oil, and long highway trips are just the ticket.

A few hours driving at interstate speed would probably be enough to boil off the non-oil contaminants and make a noticeable difference in the oil level as they boil away.
(On the stove, just how long will it take to steam away a quart of water at below boiling temperature, about 190* F?)

Once you do this, you may find the level on the dipstick is now low. Add good oil as necessary.

Last edited by ezone; 05-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM
If it isn't condensation, probably the commonest cause of the oil level increasing over time is coolant finding its way into the oil due to a blow head gasket.

Gas, being more volatile than water, tends to boil out of the oil fairly readily when the engine is at temperature. It is possible for gas to get into the oil if the rings aren't sealing well or if a spark plug isn't firing. The latter should set a code pretty quickly on the Fit.

Quick Reply: Oil Change issue please help