2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit 2013 tpms

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Fit 2013 tpms

Please facts only, and ONLY for a 2013 Honda FIT.
Does the TPMS in ANY way affect the ABS or VSA or EBD systems?
If so how?
Getting conflicting information.
If need be where would I email Honda to get an official answer?
A search of old posts do not answer question for a 2013.

Thanks
Same old problem, winter/summer tire sets. Just buying from dealer, new wheel with TPMS are $229 each! (yes, checked at two dealers) almost $900 total and I haven't purchased tires yet! Plus its $35 every time to relearn/reset the system at every summer/winter tire swap time.
Want to run no TPMS in winter, but NOT if ABS, VSA, or EBD is affected.
Car is for a distant, non-technical, family member so no self reprogramming.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
ABS and EBD aren't affected.

But VSA is the one thing it does affect, but in so much that VSA can't be turned OFF if the TPMS "isn't working."

So, if you never turn it off... it doesn't matter.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
i recommend that you purchase a winter tire/wheel package without tpms from tirerack. they will mount and balance it all for free and ship it to your door. use some of the money that you save to buy yourself a nice floor jack so you can jack up the car and put on the winter wheels yourself. you will save a ton and will not be at the mercy of the dealerships and tire shops who want to milk you.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Goobers is right on. the TPMS system is the Same for ALL 2009+ Honda FITs with VSA. The VSA Cannot Be turned off. In some Winter situations, you DO want to disable the VSA but Not all of the time.

If you want to Run TPMS in Winter on a different set of wheels, order wheels and tires from tirerack (will cost you probably around $$600 for steel wheels with tpms & tires - shipping varies) the ATEQ Quickset tool allows you to reset your TPMS sensors yourself and is about $150 (or about 2-3 years worth of reprogramming at the dealer). You will likely be into this for about $900. It'll be about $500 + shipping without the TPMS for the same package (steel wheels with firestone winterforce tires)

~SB

Sidenote. welcome to the forum from a former Jersey Resident. Just north of 22 in Warren.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the relevant page from the manual (as an aside, the 2013 manual is a lot nicer than my 2009 manual!). This was the only place TPMS was mentioned in conjunction with any other feature. I can sort of understand the thinking with preventing VSA from being disabled without TPMS, but there's no reason it would affect either ABS or EBD.

Last edited by clicq; 12-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the information. Odd thing about getting steel wheels, TireRack does NOT offer steel 15 or 16 inch steel wheels for 2009-2013 FIT. Oh and only one alloy wheel is narrow enough to meet the spec for the 175/65-15 snow tire. The only steel wheel option is 14 inch but must also use 185 rather than stock 175 tires. There was another thread that says the 14 inch wheel is a very tight install on 2nd gen.

will call TireRack to ask why no 15 inch steel wheels. There are several aftermarket companies offering them.

TPMS grrrrrr. I hope in a few years TPMS will relearn tires on the fly, and use one universal sensor.

Last edited by C7M5; 12-12-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I suspect Tirerack doesn't offer 15 in steel wheels because they don't have ones that fit the Fit . Maybe finding hub-centric, 4-bolt steel wheels with the right offset is tough?

I bought a 15 in steel wheel/winter tire/TPMS package from them 2 years ago for my 2009, so it's not that Tirerack doesn't think it'll fit...

Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by C7M5
Thanks for all the information. Odd thing about getting steel wheels, TireRack does NOT offer steel 15 or 16 inch steel wheels for 2009-2013 FIT. Oh and only one alloy wheel is narrow enough to meet the spec for the 175/65-15 snow tire. The only steel wheel option is 14 inch but must also use 185 rather than stock 175 tires. There was another thread that says the 14 inch wheel is a very tight install on 2nd gen.

will call TireRack to ask why no 15 inch steel wheels. There are several aftermarket companies offering them.

TPMS grrrrrr. I hope in a few years TPMS will relearn tires on the fly, and use one universal sensor.
I think the pricing I had above was from tirerack with 14" steel wheels. I just went through their Winter wheel/tire combo link on the website and it put together a package.

~SB

Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by C7M5

Be aware that Tire Rack may very soon stop selling wheel & tire packages without TPMS for cars originally equipped with same.

A year ago the NHTSA issued a letter to the Tire Industry Association which essentially put them on notice: TPMS is a Safety Item. If a dealer knowingly installs TPMS-less tires & wheels on a car which originally had TPMS, then they are violating the "Make Inoperative" section of the Highway Safety Act.

Local tire dealers around here are already taking steps to be in compliance. Discount Tire won't even touch TPMS-less wheels & tires unless they install and program transmitters in them; others are taking the line of "we'll do it this year, 'cause this is the first time we've had the opportunity to inform you of this, but you'll have to put them in next time."

I know Tire Rack doesn't have the same risk as a local dealer/installer, but IMO they'll eventually need to comply with this as well.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
FYI:
Tirerack confirms they do not sell a 15" steel wheel for the second gen. FIT, didn't say why. Only 14".

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
America's Tire does sell 15x6 steelies at $55 a piece

Wheel Details - Discount Tire

They are not hubcentric but i've used and abused these wheels (even on racetrack w/ offs) in the past and they were solid as a rock and never had a problem with them fwiw

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
CEL and VSA light won't go off..

Originally Posted by specboy
Goobers is right on. the TPMS system is the Same for ALL 2009+ Honda FITs with VSA. The VSA Cannot Be turned off. In some Winter situations, you DO want to disable the VSA but Not all of the time.
Do you know how to turn it off? According to the manual you hold the VSA button on the driver's side for more than 5 seconds, but VSA light doesn't turn off and CEL. Both came on after a slight slip on some ice a couple weeks back.

Btw, I'm from Edison, NJ...

Sorry to hijack this thread but here's my full detailed story:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...000-miles.html

Thanks in advance,

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM
My wife just yesterday took delivery of a 2013 Fit Sport. As she was driving it home from the dealer, the TPMS Malfunction light came on! (We had test-driven this exact car for about 10 miles without an issue two days before.) She took it back today, they say the TPMS module is bad, "a known problem and Honda is replacing them", but she has to wait for the part to come in. Coming off nearly fourteen trouble-free years with an Odyssey, she is not impressed.... And after visiting the dealer, now it's the low pressure light that is on.

There is no way to "reset" the TPMS light from buttons on the car. I bought snow tires on 14" steel wheels with the sensors from Tire Rack, and an ATEQ Quickset (which just arrived today). Tire Rack was supposed to give me the sensor IDs but didn't - I may have to pay to get them recorded once.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
TPMS should have no effect on VSA, ABS or Trac Control. Those work off the ABS sensors in the wheel hub not the sensor inside the wheel.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to give a shout-out to Tire Rack here. They apologized for not providing the sensor IDs, are going to loan me an ATEQ VT30 which will read the codes, and send me a gift card for my troubles! What wonderful people to do business with!

As for Mini Odyssey's comment, it's true that VSA, etc. doesn't use the TPMS data, but if the VSA computer thinks that the inflation may be wrong, it can't trust the rotation data and may disable some parts of its operation.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by holmes4
My wife just yesterday took delivery of a 2013 Fit Sport. As she was driving it home from the dealer, the TPMS Malfunction light came on! (We had test-driven this exact car for about 10 miles without an issue two days before.) She took it back today, they say the TPMS module is bad, "a known problem and Honda is replacing them", but she has to wait for the part to come in. Coming off nearly fourteen trouble-free years with an Odyssey, she is not impressed.... And after visiting the dealer, now it's the low pressure light that is on.

There is no way to "reset" the TPMS light from buttons on the car. I bought snow tires on 14" steel wheels with the sensors from Tire Rack, and an ATEQ Quickset (which just arrived today). Tire Rack was supposed to give me the sensor IDs but didn't - I may have to pay to get them recorded once.
The TPMS module could be bad, but if you have a few minutes and an air compressor handy, I suggest making sure the TPMS sensors are alive by dropping the pressure 10 psi as fast as you can (or you could probably check that the sensors are alive with the VT30, whenever you get it).

Many people have reported that the dealers didn't correctly activate the sensors when they got their cars.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
TPMS should have no effect on VSA, ABS or Trac Control. Those work off the ABS sensors in the wheel hub not the sensor inside the wheel.
Goobers and specboy are correct that if the TPMS light is on the car will not let you disable VSA. It is a programmed safety precaution.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by clicq
The TPMS module could be bad, but if you have a few minutes and an air compressor handy, I suggest making sure the TPMS sensors are alive by dropping the pressure 10 psi as fast as you can (or you could probably check that the sensors are alive with the VT30, whenever you get it).

Many people have reported that the dealers didn't correctly activate the sensors when they got their cars.
Re-activating with the VT30 didn't help, but swapping the wheels for the winter set I got did (once I activated them and stored the data with ATEQ Quickset). Makes me think one of the Honda sensors was bad.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Think again about this advice.

Originally Posted by ds61761
i recommend that you purchase a winter tire/wheel package without tpms from tirerack. they will mount and balance it all for free and ship it to your door. use some of the money that you save to buy yourself a nice floor jack so you can jack up the car and put on the winter wheels yourself. you will save a ton and will not be at the mercy of the dealerships and tire shops who want to milk you.
IMHO this is very very bad advice. Here is why:

1. You are disabling a safety feature on your car. If you have an accident and any of your tires are underinflated or blow out, your insurance company will attempt to blame you for the accident. If someone gets hurt, you will be sued. Your insurance company determined a rate based on all the safety equipment working and being maintained. The absence of TPMS sensors are convincing evidence that you willfully disabled that feature. It is not worth the risk.
2. VSA cannot be turned off without TPMS
3. You are decreasing your safety and those who drive with you.
4. In many states the car will not pass inspection with the TPMS light lit or the system showing a malfunction.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hspatz
IMHO this is very very bad advice. Here is why:

1. You are disabling a safety feature on your car. If you have an accident and any of your tires are underinflated or blow out, your insurance company will attempt to blame you for the accident. If someone gets hurt, you will be sued. Your insurance company determined a rate based on all the safety equipment working and being maintained. The absence of TPMS sensors are convincing evidence that you willfully disabled that feature. It is not worth the risk.
2. VSA cannot be turned off without TPMS
3. You are decreasing your safety and those who drive with you.
4. In many states the car will not pass inspection with the TPMS light lit or the system showing a malfunction.
I would posit that I am drastically *increasing* the safety of the car by running snow tires in the winter. The benefits of snow tires are well documented.

During the winter I can check my own tire pressure to make sure it is maintained at the proper level.

I have no desire to deactivate VSA. I've seen the videos and other data and I am a strong believer in the benefits of VSA. Why is it a problem if I cannot deactivate it? You seem to be contradicting yourself here. First you lecture everybody about not disabling a safety feature (TPMS) and then you say its a problem because another safety feature (VSA) cannot be disabled.

Here's an idea: do the inspection during the summer or some other time when you're not running the winter wheels.

It's just a fact of life that, if I am in an accident, it might be my fault and I might be sued. This is true whether I have working TPMS or not. In my opinion, running snow tires makes it less likely that I will be in an accident in the first place.

Quick Reply: Fit 2013 tpms