2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yokohama tire report

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yokohama tire report

At 13,000 miles one of the OEM Dunlop tires blistered on our Honda Fit Sport and had to be replaced. We put 2 Yokohama AVID tires on it and decided to wear out the remaining 2 Dunlops. Today at 28000 miles the remaining Dunlops are completely worn down past the wear bars (less than 2/32" tread). So I installed 2 more new Yokohama AVID's on the rear of the Fit. While I was there at Tire Rack I had them measure the first two tire tread depths. After 15,000 miles on the front they both measured slightly better than 10/32". Considering that new they are 12/32" with 2/32" unusable after the wear bar appears, that leaves 10/32" usable of which 2/32" is gone. At this rate I estimate these tires should last at least 75,000 miles. These were installed on the front an at the next oil change I will rotate them to the rears where they should wear at an even lower rate.

I've been very happy with these tires both on wear, noise, and handling. I have only limited use in snow so far so I can not give a valid report on snow usage. These are an All Season Low Rolling Resistance tire and not a true winter tire. So snow season is now here and in 3 months I'll know better how they do in snow. These are NOT a winter snow rated tire.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I love these tires - have the same on my Fit. Best thing I ever did was getting rid of the Dunlops. Lower noise, better ride and better handling.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks--these are helpful posts for those of us thinking of sticking with the stock size on our next set of tires.

Just to be clear, however, are these the AVID Ascends that you’re discussing and, if so, are they the T-speed rated or the H-or-V speed rated?

Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I was thinking about these tires but went with the S Drive instead. 2055016 is what size I went with on the stock sport set.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
Thanks--these are helpful posts for those of us thinking of sticking with the stock size on our next set of tires.

Just to be clear, however, are these the AVID Ascends that you’re discussing and, if so, are they the T-speed rated or the H-or-V speed rated?

Thanks again.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...t&autoModClar=

I have the H-or V- rated Ascends (130 to 149 mph). Even a T rating is 118 I believe.

You are not going to go that fast in a Fit any way.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...t&autoModClar=

I have the H-or V- rated Ascends (130 to 149 mph). Even a T rating is 118 I believe.

You are not going to go that fast in a Fit any way.
Thanks--thought so, but wanted to make certain. When the time comes, please let us know how they are in the snow.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone seen discounts/rebates for Yokohama tires come along at Tire Rack?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Yoko tire discount

Anyone living in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC are welcome to come purchase their tires from me, my dealership only charges Cost plus 8 dollars... hard to beat! PM me.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
for those of you that have the yokohama avid ascends installed, about how long did it take for you to break the tires in? Mine currently feel a bit vague in steering feel compared to the stock dunlops, but it's been less than 200 miles, and they do seem to be getting better with more miles. thanks!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It seemed like mine where just fine from the beginning but the normal break in period for new tires is 500 miles. Keep them rolling and they will make you much happier than the stocker Dunlops!

Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 PM
When I rotated my stock dunlops at around 5600 miles, I expected an improvement forgetting none steering tires up front.

Man, dunlop crapped on that parade.

I am also thinking of these yokohama tires.

Has anyone on here pushed these tires to their tread warranty? What length of driving did they stick around, or were they literally DONE IN at their tread warranty markk? Yokohama is usually a good brand to begin with

Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ydnality
for those of you that have the yokohama avid ascends installed, about how long did it take for you to break the tires in? Mine currently feel a bit vague in steering feel compared to the stock dunlops, but it's been less than 200 miles, and they do seem to be getting better with more miles. thanks!
I've had mine for about 1k now and will write a more complete review this summer. But, to answer your question, I haven't noticed any change in their responsiveness so far, which is fine with me, as I've found them plenty responsive from the get go. I assume that you've tried bumping the pressure up to about 35psi (which is where mine are). Also, keep in mind that when moving from a worn tire to one with deep tread you'll almost certainly get a little more squirm.

More generally, I've found them to be excellent in the rain (contra Tire Rack test reports) and even found them excellent in the 1/2" of snow we had here in the northeast about a week after they were installed. I haven't tried them in deep snow yet, however. Mileage seems a bit better than before.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm ok - i will try 35. The tire shop put mine at 33, and it was pretty warm outside at the time - maybe it's time to up the tire pressure.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
When my dunlops are ready to go, I'm pretty sure I will be going with the Avid's based on reviews here.

For those who are ridding on he Avid's, is the noise difference between the two pretty significant?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
yes - the noise difference is pretty significant. I'm still getting used to the feel of these new tires though - but as I mentioned before - I think it's because they are not broken in yet, and the large amount of tread on these tires.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ydnality
yes - the noise difference is pretty significant. I'm still getting used to the feel of these new tires though - but as I mentioned before - I think it's because they are not broken in yet, and the large amount of tread on these tires.
Thanks for you feedback!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
new tires usually take up to 500miles to break in-of course depending on your driving style. If you are a motorcycle rider, they especially warn you to be careful for a bit when getting new tires.

The best term for break-in is they feel greasy, as this is due to the mold release oils. If you are feeling vague as well, the increase in psi maybe worth a try.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
When my dunlops are ready to go, I'm pretty sure I will be going with the Avid's based on reviews here.

For those who are ridding on he Avid's, is the noise difference between the two pretty significant?
My Sumitomos were quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and the Avid's are now quieter than the Sumitomos. It's not dead silence, but the edge is definitely off the noise.

Sorry, can't comment on the Dunlop ---> Avid difference.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
My Sumitomos were quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and the Avid's are now quieter than the Sumitomos. It's not dead silence, but the edge is definitely off the noise.

Sorry, can't comment on the Dunlop ---> Avid difference.
I appreciate the feedback!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive tried all sorts of tires including the avids.

i recommend continental DWS for all season. compliant ride, quiet, very good grip through the seasons (even in snow), and wears very well. oh, and not too expensive.

Quick Reply: Yokohama tire report