2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM
HID question

So i just got a '13 fit sport and want to go HID.

just wondering if its a 35w or 55w? and i believe the Bulb is an H4 for lowbeams(correct me if i am wrong)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
H4 can have a lo/hi beam. Get the 55w. It's much brighter, but only if you get the correct bulbs(with a shield)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
^what he said, too much typing for me to explain

Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I currently have the bi-xenon setup in 35 watt it's completely sufficient. I have it hooked p with indepedance wire harness and relay directly to battery so it doesn't depend on the factory wire for power. The best brand I've dealt for for all my vehicles and bikes for reliability was DDM tuning. They make the most reliable hid kits I've ever used, the ones I bought back in 2007 are still kicking along just fine. I've been using them for my hid source since 2005. I didn't go with 55 watt because of the heat involved, it puts out tremendous amount of heat and and tend to kill the bulbs faster (all 55 watt kits) still use 35 watt designed bulbs so they are a little overdriven, that kills the bulb lifespan.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
I currently have the bi-xenon setup in 35 watt it's completely sufficient. I have it hooked p with indepedance wire harness and relay directly to battery so it doesn't depend on the factory wire for power. The best brand I've dealt for for all my vehicles and bikes for reliability was DDM tuning. They make the most reliable hid kits I've ever used, the ones I bought back in 2007 are still kicking along just fine. I've been using them for my hid source since 2005. I didn't go with 55 watt because of the heat involved, it puts out tremendous amount of heat and and tend to kill the bulbs faster (all 55 watt kits) still use 35 watt designed bulbs so they are a little overdriven, that kills the bulb lifespan.
yeah DDM is what i was going for. i was actually planning on driving over tomorrow afternoon. ive used this for my prelude and been good for 4 years. Question is, can i just buy it and hook it up? Getting confused with the shield i should get or something.

Originally Posted by Goobers
H4 is a dual filament bulb. It handles both high and low beams.

Regardless of 35 or 55w, it's better to make sure it's from a seller that has better made versions of the bi-xenon.

It needs a shield that completely blocks all light from hitting the bottom of the reflector housing when in low beam mode. That minimizes potential of blinding oncoming traffic.

Make sure you get a bi-xenon, and not the hi-lo type (that uses HID for low beam and halogen for high)... they are very bad for output. And don't get the single beam kits... you either lose high beam if you have a shield or have permanent high beam.
i thought the wattage was specific to the car? last time i got 55 and it was supposed to be 35 and it burned. Since you say it doesnt matter, i take it the fit is compatible to both? and about this shield that you guys are talking about, where do i get this and how do i go about installing it? I dont know if any other of you guys are familiar with DDM tuning, but do you know if they have the bi-xenon or the hi-lo type? Sorry for all these questions. For my prelude it was simple plug and play. Any in detailed DIY for my questions?

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
I looked up what DDM had for the H4 and they had

H4/HB2/9003 - Low beam <---i take it this is what you guys are suggesting?
H4/HB2/9003 Hi/Lo

Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member
DDM? Reliable?

Lol no. They drop ship their $8 HID kits directly from China and have no customer service.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
RETROFIT! or else just use a different color halogen bulb. Waste of money to put HID drop-in kits in a Reflector housing... there are TONS of threads on this and why.

Check out Morimoto for the retrofit kits. Member [Dookoo] just did a retrofit on his car and a few others have used them as well.

~SB

Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
If you want to go nuts with your retrofit, there's always the LS460s

Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
DDM? Reliable?

Lol no. They drop ship their $8 HID kits directly from China and have no customer service.
the ones i have still work fine after 4 years so i cant say anything and i havent had any problems with their customer service either.

anyways, what temp and watt you running on yours? looks nice

Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fliip
the ones i have still work fine after 4 years so i cant say anything and i havent had any problems with their customer service either.

anyways, what temp and watt you running on yours? looks nice
I hear nothing but complaints about them from more than one customer, so it sounds like you just lucked out.

I'm using Osram CBIs and 50w ballasts. The color you see is actually 'color flicker' and isn't the color of the bulb but the tuning of the projector.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
I use DDM Tuning 55w. It's work well for me for a long time. Cut off is apparent even though I have no retrofitting. They are a hit or miss type company, just like cars, you may just get a lemon. I only heard of one bad instance from a local Fit member that had an issue. Everyone else I know who bought from them have had no problems. They also have lifetime warranty on their HID kits.

As for the type to get, H4 Hi/Lo beam. 35w or 55w is your choice. The low beam only will lose your ability to have high beams and the shield is usually not efficient.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Again, they are $8 kits and only last 5-7 years at best (by design they cannot last a lifetime).

Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, that's why they are cheap. Buy a cheap kit, hope it works for a while. If they don't, just buy another kit.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
...or just do it right the first time

Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think mine was wrong. Its just preference.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 4500K DDM Kit for a week and took it off. I don't recommend the use of HID's in reflector housings, especially on the GE8 Fit since our housings are huge. It's unsafe and will blind others. I was that person who read the posts on this forum saying not to do it and did it anyway, thinking that it wouldn't be that bad. It was bad.

Do it right with a retrofit or buy a different set of bulbs. The Plug & Play HID kits are not worth it, especially taking into consideration of others safety on the road. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by mrphilip
I had a 4500K DDM Kit for a week and took it off. I don't recommend the use of HID's in reflector housings, especially on the GE8 Fit since our housings are huge. It's unsafe and will blind others. I was that person who read the posts on this forum saying not to do it and did it anyway, thinking that it wouldn't be that bad. It was bad.

Do it right with a retrofit or buy a different set of bulbs. The Plug & Play HID kits are not worth it, especially taking into consideration of others safety on the road. Just my 2 cents.

What did your bulb look like? Mine has that chrome shield around it and it diffused the light perfectly like how a halogen setup did. No stray light to bug people. I have the same kit on my Honda vfr800

Name:  84e5ff08.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  299.4 KB

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I ran a DDM kit for a couple weeks, didn't give me any issues but I wasn't happy with it. Output was worse than the halogens (as it will be with any HID bulb in a halogen housing) and since the back of the housing wasn't completely sealed it made my headlights fog up (I can also probably blame not having part of my fender liners because of that, but beside the point). Definitely either get better halogen bulbs or just retrofit.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I'll take some pictures of mine later on, they look great.

Quick Reply: HID question