2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11' Base "Check Fuel Cap" and weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
11' Base "Check Fuel Cap" and weird sound

My fit have been perfect until recently.

About two weeks ago, i start to notice that when i shift to park and turns off the engine, there are 50% chance i would hear an weird sound.
It sounds like the fuel pump sound when you turns on the power, but with more higher pitch / grinding sound.

Original i thought it was related to "unlock the door automatically feature", because it almost happen at the same time.So i didn't pay too much attention to it.

But this morning, when i turns on the power, it shows "Check Fuel Cap" message. It had been 4 days and 200 miles since i last refill my tank. But anyway, i try to re screw the cap again. Restart the engine, still there. Drive 10min to breakfast. After breakfast, it's gone.

I understand it is possible that it take several minutes or action to clean up the "check fuel cap" condition. Can anyone confirm that?

What worries me is if fuel pump did have problem, i hope it could be fix ASAP since i have drive about 317xx and is going to reach 36000 miles with a little more 2 months if it is not cover under 60000 mile powertrain warranty.

Last edited by MR_FIT11; 02-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Myopinion is yes. Generally, the sensors that detect an evap issue, and often will say check fuel cap, take time to clear, sometimes several drives.
I'm actually surprised it's cleared after 10min only.
You can wipe down the fuel cap and top of the fuel tank to make it gets a good seal.

But it's your car, if you are worried, take it in. Under CA law though, I believe there is an mandatory state extended warranty for emissions related systems, the EVAP system that generates the check fuel cap is one of them. (but not your fuel pump). don't quote me on this, verify it on your own

Last edited by raytseng; 02-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Any emission control item for Honda's sold in California is 7yrs/70,000 miles warranty. That includes injectors, fuel pump, cats, egr, emission solenoids, evap parts, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
My check cap has came on a few times during my 7 years of "Fitness". It cleared quickly. This happened during outdoor temperature changes.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Myopinion is yes. Generally, the sensors that detect an evap issue, and often will say check fuel cap, take time to clear, sometimes several drives.
I'm actually surprised it's cleared after 10min only.
Thanks. Ya, it cleaner after maybe about one restart, 10 min drive, 5min idle, 2 min drive and 35 min shut off for breakfast.

Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Any emission control item for Honda's sold in California is 7yrs/70,000 miles warranty. That includes injectors, fuel pump, cats, egr, emission solenoids, evap parts, etc.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by spreadhead
My check cap has came on a few times during my 7 years of "Fitness". It cleared quickly. This happened during outdoor temperature changes.
I guess you have FD, but Good to know some people have the message, too. That makes me less worry. :-) Ya, recently it may have 20-30 F difference between night and morning.

Looks like those were two different issue to me, right now.

I haven't capture the weird sound, if i can record it, i will go dealer see what they can do about it.

Last edited by MR_FIT11; 02-17-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
I got the CHECK CAP on my '11 followed by the ENGINE WARNING LIGHT. Is that warning light going to go away after a few days, or do I have to take it in??

Have not had CHECK FUEL CAP light since then.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
"Any emission control item for Honda's sold in California is 7yrs/70,000 miles warranty. That includes injectors, fuel pump, cats, egr, emission solenoids, evap parts, etc."

In the back of your Warranties manual is a Federal and California Emissions Warranties parts list. Not ALL parts are covered 7/70. many including the fill cap for example are covered for 3/50 in CA and certain other states. You may be surprised at how many parts are covered for only 3/50. The converter is covered for 8/80.

Clifton

Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wwjd
I got the CHECK CAP on my '11 followed by the ENGINE WARNING LIGHT. Is that warning light going to go away after a few days, or do I have to take it in??

Have not had CHECK FUEL CAP light since then.

From the manual:
Originally Posted by '09 page 70
Check Fuel Cap Indicator
If the fuel fill cap is loose or missing,
a ‘‘ CHECK FUEL CAP ’’ message
appears on the information display
after you start the engine. The
message changes from CHECK, to
FUEL, to CAP repeatedly.
Turn the engine off and confirm the
fuel fill cap is installed. If it is, loosen
the cap, then retighten it until it
clicks at least once. You can cycle the
message off of the display by
pressing the select/reset knob
repeatedly, but this message will be
displayed each time the engine is
started. It will take several days of
normal driving for the vehicle to turn
the warning off.
I'd get the codes read by the friendly folks at autozone or some other parts house to verify. They can clear this too, if it's benign (actually resulting from a loose cap). If unsure you should get it checked by the dealer. Like flash says, it's warranted if something other than a loose cap.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
did the Autozone thing, they were great, got the codes, did NOT reset them, PRINTED out the messages, advised me to go to dealer...

I did, and the dealer didn't find anything really wrong (car runs just great also) so they reset it. BUT, they said the age/milage says it was time for new air filter, cabin filter, tire balance, alignment and something called a FUEL/AIR INDUCTION SERVICE... all for $480 yeah... just said no. The wheels spin true, the alignment is fine, I swapped the filters myself, and the fuel suck service isn't needed on a great running engine. The only thing it cleans out is your wallet.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Banned
FUEL/AIR induction service.......LOL spray some cleaner into the intake system and call it that we will make a bundle.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wwjd
did the Autozone thing, they were great, got the codes, did NOT reset them, PRINTED out the messages, advised me to go to dealer...

I did, and the dealer didn't find anything really wrong (car runs just great also) so they reset it. BUT, they said the age/milage says it was time for new air filter, cabin filter, tire balance, alignment and something called a FUEL/AIR INDUCTION SERVICE... all for $480 yeah... just said no. The wheels spin true, the alignment is fine, I swapped the filters myself, and the fuel suck service isn't needed on a great running engine. The only thing it cleans out is your wallet.
I'm curious, do you know what the codes were?

Yeah the Honda svc dept is what keeps Honda dealers afloat. Sucks their cars are made so well. The majority of consumers aren't car savvy enough to just say no...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
uh... had the codes but tossed them already... it was potential vacuum hose this, gas cap that etc. it was two different codes that were kinda the same thing in wording