2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B 1 service and oil $50.98

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
B 1 service and oil $50.98

Time for my B1 service and oil change. I thought I had read some horrible costs for this service on this forum, but decided to get it done anyways. I'm getting too old and lazy to crawl around under a car!

I go to the dealers website to schedule an appointment and there are various coupons, so I figure I am wasting my time but I print them out and take them with me. I cannot schedual online so call and set the time.

I go, the service writer is quick and friendly, I show him the coupons, he takes one and says this is a great one, its worth $30

So after service I go to cashier and the bill is $76.39 and the coupon brings it to $50.98 total.

I thought it was going to be $150. JIm

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Time for my B1 service and oil change. I thought I had read some horrible costs for this service on this forum, but decided to get it done anyways. I'm getting too old and lazy to crawl around under a car!

I go to the dealers website to schedule an appointment and there are various coupons, so I figure I am wasting my time but I print them out and take them with me. I cannot schedual online so call and set the time.

I go, the service writer is quick and friendly, I show him the coupons, he takes one and says this is a great one, its worth $30

So after service I go to cashier and the bill is $76.39 and the coupon brings it to $50.98 total.

I thought it was going to be $150. JIm
Cool, a decent fair deal, especially if it had a carwash and you got out there quickly.

Only comment is you were surprised on your total, seems the estimate/bill should be something you shouldn't be shy about asking for up front or even on the phone prior to showing up.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
What does the B1 service consist of? Oil change from dealer plus anything extra done, i would say $50 is a good deal.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by shortstop
What does the B1 service consist of? Oil change from dealer plus anything extra done, i would say $50 is a good deal.
B1 is basically oil and filter change. There's a bunch of inspections, tire rotation, etc. at a dealer, $50 isn't bad I guess, probably could get it done elsewhere cheaper.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
If they did a tire rotation, thats a fair price. Labor wise, rotating the tires takes me longer than an oil and filter change.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 PM
When I made the appointment, I asked and was told about $112 for service! But being a dealer I figured by the time they did a flush and fill on the blinker fluid and changed the air in the tires it would be $150.

But I am considering trading the car in 3 years, so a low milage, dealer serviced, garage kept car should be worth some big bucks. Doing the service in the drive way does not show up on Carfax, besides I am getting too old and lazy to do it any way. I also do not feel like dealing with Bubba at the Quick Rip place.

They did the oil and filter change, rotated the tires, and all the inspections, but no car wash.

So color me thrilled. JIm

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Geez. My dealer quoted 170 without the oil change. .. The trade off is that I get free oil filter and oil/window washer fluid for life.

I'm not sure how often the B services come up, but if I decide to do the b service elsewhere I'll lose my free oil/filter/washer changes. I have a points card for the dealership with 500 bucks on it so ill just bite the bullet for the first B1 and see when it next comes up.

Then I can calculate if its cheaper to pay for everything and do it somewhere else, or pay 170 for the occasional B and get the free stuff.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM
B service is every other service. By the manual
Replace engine oil and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect these items:
● Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
● Suspension components
● Driveshaft boots
● Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
● All fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Exhaust system#
● Fuel lines and connections#
I'm skeptical that inspecting is a $170 job. Much of it most shops do gratis as part of the process of trying to find something wrong so they can sell you on new repairs.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the b1 is worth 170 either. The question is, in my case , whether its still a reasonable deal when coupled with my free lifetime oil, oil filter, and window washer fluid perk.

It suppose it'll depend on how often they'll want me to pay for a service.. I'm guessing there's a lot more things that can be charged for in the future.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM
$170 sounds like alot! But there is more to take into consideration than price. I do not drive alot, bought the car 4/11 only had an oil change last year, first one was free! B1 service this year and maybe another oil change, so I am not spending much on a yearly basis.

Another thing to consider, I am no longer a car buff, watching over everything, like my younger days. So having people that should be well acquainted with Honda's looking it over is a plus.

Lot's of variables and things to consider. Then there is always shopping around, different dealers are going to charge differently.
JIm

Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
At $50, that isn't such a bad service. Still twice what I pay because I do all my service myself, including rotations, brake pad inspections, general once-over. Most of those inspections I wouldn't bother with for a three year old car. Boot inspection, really? Unless Honda has some crap CV boots, they're good for at least 10 years.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Red 05
. Boot inspection, really? Unless Honda has some crap CV boots, they're good for at least 10 years.
I had a 3 month old 78 ElDorado, something had kicked up on the road and cut the outer boot open! That is when CV joints were $$$$$$ JIm

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree that over 100 dollars we are getting ripped off for a B1 service. What are we to do?

It`s easy to say that we can do all this stuff on our own....until they start giving us problems with the warranty work. Then I think is 100 bucks worth all that hassle? They really do have us by the you know what.

I would pay a little more up front for a car if it meant I would get free maintenance for the first 5 years. Something like BMW does. Peace of mind.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Red 05
Most of those inspections I wouldn't bother with for a three year old car. Boot inspection, really? Unless Honda has some crap CV boots, they're good for at least 10 years.
As mentioned, they can get damaged by road junk. Moreover, inspecting more or less just means look at and be sure it's in one piece. If its already on the lift for the tire rotation, the incremental cost in time is low. That's why the $50 is lame. Car is on the lift for the oil change and tire rotation. You do the other stuff on the list while the oil drains since you're under the car already and if you find something, you get more business.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Why not do it yourself? Simple, 10 minutes, and full synthetic and filter for less than 30 bucks.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
I agree that over 100 dollars we are getting ripped off for a B1 service. What are we to do?

It`s easy to say that we can do all this stuff on our own....until they start giving us problems with the warranty work. Then I think is 100 bucks worth all that hassle? They really do have us by the you know what.

I would pay a little more up front for a car if it meant I would get free maintenance for the first 5 years. Something like BMW does. Peace of mind.
They can't invalidate the warranty for doing your own oil change. Just keep the receipts for the oil, and I keep the tab on the filter box, filled in.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I change my own oil as well but if this doesn't void warranty i will keep on keeping on. I need to do some researching but is everyone staying with the factory oil and filter? I usually run mobil 1 synthetic and oem filters.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by shortstop
I change my own oil as well but if this doesn't void warranty i will keep on keeping on. I need to do some researching but is everyone staying with the factory oil and filter? I usually run mobil 1 synthetic and oem filters.
I usually use Pennzoil full synthetic and Fram Tough Guard filters. Works well.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't been doing the oil and filters myself cause its free for life.

The downside is the cost for the other "required" maintenance. If I go somewhere else or DIY, they'll void my free oil changes.

I have a points card with 500 bucks on that can only be used at the dealership so I'm just going to use that towards my b1 for now.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by connor55
I haven't been doing the oil and filters myself cause its free for life.

The downside is the cost for the other "required" maintenance. If I go somewhere else or DIY, they'll void my free oil changes.

I have a points card with 500 bucks on that can only be used at the dealership so I'm just going to use that towards my b1 for now.
They figured out how to lock you in.

Quick Reply: B 1 service and oil $50.98