2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EV questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Ahaha...plug in

Jay Leno talked about hybrids/alternatives/plugins as the savior of the custom/rod/sports car just like the car save the Horse. Horses are not so heavily relied on or pressed into draft service, but now kept and maintained for entertainment and enjoyment. I agree that alternate cars can really keep the dino burning brothers "alive" for a MUCH longer time!

Man, you have totally started something BAD... I have a co sign and a pending appointment with my dealer... I have a 220v outlet for my compressor/welder already too and its conveniently in a garage... Just have to figure out where to get my mom to move her '49 Bentley for the Fit

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KIRK!
Install of the 220v is nothing for me. I already have the extra 220v outlet for my welder. The $1000 charger is mine at the end of the lease. Gotta have some monetary value at hat point.

Gas-wise, I currently pay well over $300 a month to commute. My Mercedes E350 averages about 22mpg. Plus now we won't be driving our other cars as much on the weekends so maybe another tank or so ($60) a month there.

Looks like the 3-year old Fits are going from between $9k and $11k, so the depreciation is more than 17%, especially if you trade in.

My employer lets me charge for free, so that cuts down on my power bill.

Honda pays my Comp and Collision insurance as part of the lease. I just adjusted my insurance yesterday and will be saving nearly $500 a year only having to liability on the EV.

For me I am making over $100 a month owning the EV. Considering I'm selling my E350 and losing the $550/month payment for that, I'm ahead around $900 a month over my previous situation.

Oh, and the perk that would be worth a few hundred bucks to me a month is the use of the carpool lane to and from work. For me, that's about 15 minutes in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. That's a HUGE benefit in my eyes.

For me it's purely a commuter that ends up being better than free. I have three other cars and my Aprilia to drive and ride when I need something else.
Sounds like a match made in heaven (or CA anyway); didn't mean to rain on your parade (sorry) but tanstaafl...

welcome to fitfreak, don't mind the clutter.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Sounds like a match made in heaven (or CA anyway); didn't mean to rain on your parade (sorry) but tanstaafl...

welcome to fitfreak, don't mind the clutter.
No rain here. I like discussion.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Banned
Yeah, especially considering I run a hot rod magazine for a living.

Are you the "Kirk" of HAMB fame?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Are you the "Kirk" of HAMB fame?
Shit! I can't hide anywhere.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Banned
LOL ha outted you. How's the T-Bird doing?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
LOL ha outted you. How's the T-Bird doing?
Good. I finally got the bugs off from the trip to Indy. I'm getting ready to rebuild the front end.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Damn... when you crunch the numbers like that it's worth it...

$259/month, plus just liability insurance (since Honda pays the collision ins., etc with NO deductible), AND you get to keep the 220v (240v) charger!

I'm looking in to this.

There's only 1100 available to the 8 states currently on the list.

Some other interesting facts I just found out from the website are that it's only a 3 hr charge on the 240v charger as opposed to the 15 hrs on the regular 110-120v charger. It's also got the sport/eco/normal settings like the CR-Z with each of course with different hp #'s. Heated seats, autofold mirrors... and a standard on board charger that will give you 17% charge in 30 minutes, which would come handy if your running low, and need to get home. Not to mention all the fancy tech features, and the techie remote.... cool little car.. (except for the rear drums... lol)

Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Lots of Leafs around here, but no FitEVs

Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, lots of bells and whistles. I don't think it has the autofold mirrors though.

There's a ton of things I have yet to learn about it, but you can check on charge status etc. remotely, as well as turn on the AC or heat either on-demand or at a scheduled time from your phone. I have it set to get the interior to 72-degrees every day at 6:50 when I leave for work. It starts the process 20 minutes before your set "departure time" while it's still plugged in so it doesn't use the battery power.

You can also schedule the charging to start and stop so you can have it only run during non-peak hours for cheaper electricity.

Oh, another cool thing is the power. It's fine in ECO mode, good or better in NORMAL mode, but it HAULS ASS in SPORT mode.

The gasoline engine in the regular Fit produces 106 lb-ft of torque. The Fit EV? Try 189. That's a 77% increase. It's been hilarious to see the look on people's faces when I do burnouts!

Originally Posted by FitStir
Damn... when you crunch the numbers like that it's worth it...

$259/month, plus just liability insurance (since Honda pays the collision ins., etc with NO deductible), AND you get to keep the 220v (240v) charger!

I'm looking in to this.

There's only 1100 available to the 8 states currently on the list.

Some other interesting facts I just found out from the website are that it's only a 3 hr charge on the 240v charger as opposed to the 15 hrs on the regular 110-120v charger. It's also got the sport/eco/normal settings like the CR-Z with each of course with different hp #'s. Heated seats, autofold mirrors... and a standard on board charger that will give you 17% charge in 30 minutes, which would come handy if your running low, and need to get home. Not to mention all the fancy tech features, and the techie remote.... cool little car.. (except for the rear drums... lol)

Last edited by KIRK!; 06-06-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, lots of bells and whistles. I don't think it has the autofold mirrors though.
Yeah, I misread it the specs page (on Honda's site) has it listed as "Body-Colored Folding Power Side Mirrors", the pics section clearly show they're not auto-fold.

Oh, another cool thing is the power. It's fine in ECO mode, good or better in NORMAL mode, but it HAULS ASS in SPORT mode.

The gasoline engine in the regular Fit produces 106 lb-ft of torque. The Fit EV? Try 189. That's a 77% increase. It's been hilarious to see the look on people's faces when I do burnouts!
I noticed that... wow..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM

This actually doesn't surprise me a ton (certainly pleased). The YJ/Wranger crew has been eagerly anticipating an electric drivetrain for quite some time for this very reason.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Nice photos of ur mom

Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned
You have to do a road trip report in the EV. Keep us in stitches as most of these guys here have never been exposed to your fantastic writing.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
You have to do a road trip report in the EV. Keep us in stitches as most of these guys here have never been exposed to your fantastic writing.
Ha ha! Thanks!

I don't know how exciting an 80-mile road trip would be though.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Ha ha! Thanks!

I don't know how exciting an 80-mile road trip would be though.
Haha, well if you are super bored this Sun, you could head out to a local HellaFit club lite tech day and BBQ in Mountain House... Should be able to get that far :P

Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Haha, well if you are super bored this Sun, you could head out to a local HellaFit club lite tech day and BBQ in Mountain House... Should be able to get that far :P
Actually I'd be stoked to, but I'm selling crap at the Concord Swap Meet.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I'd be stoked to, but I'm selling crap at the Concord Swap Meet.
Well... We plan to be wrenching (more like eating and talking ) from 1-7pm So if your free at any point, PM me and I can get you the details if you want to drop by and meet the local group of FitFreaks! the food alone is usually worth coming to one of our meets

Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh that goes for quite a while. I may actually be able to make it then.

Quick Reply: EV questions