2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check my winter tire selection please

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Check my winter tire selection please

Hi fitfreaks,

I have a 2010 sport navi and last year started going more often to the mountain for some snow fun. The fit is horrible in snow with the original tires. I got stuck once... anyway.

I'm looking for winter tires (or a subaru ). I read a lot of threads here and as far as I can tell the problem with the sport navi is that without TPMS the VSA is always on.

Basically I've narrowed down my choice to these two sets from tirerack:

15" Package:
Steel wheels - $240
TPMS stuff - $140
175/65R15 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall - $392 (0.2% faster speedo)
Total after shipping ~ $850

14" Package:
Steel wheels - $164
TPMS stuff - $140
185/70R14 2009 Produced (sale) Michelin X-Ice Xi2 - $224 (0.8% slower speedo and .2" taller )
Total after shipping ~ $650

So, apart from the 4 years old tires, the 14" package is 200 better, which I can spend on TPMS programmer and still have some change left for a lift ticket .

Anything that I'm missing? Should I spend the $200 extra for the 15" package, which would give me 'fresh' new tires and the latest model?

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by terahz
Hi fitfreaks,

I have a 2010 sport navi and last year started going more often to the mountain for some snow fun. The fit is horrible in snow with the original tires. I got stuck once... anyway.

I'm looking for winter tires (or a subaru ). I read a lot of threads here and as far as I can tell the problem with the sport navi is that without TPMS the VSA is always on.

15" Package:
Steel wheels - $240
TPMS stuff - $140

14" Package:
Steel wheels - $164
TPMS stuff - $140
185/70R14 2009 Produced (sale) Michelin X-Ice Xi2 - $224 (0.8% slower speedo and .2" taller )

So, apart from the 4 years old tires, the 14" package is 200 better, which I can spend on TPMS programmer and still have some change left for a lift ticket .

Anything that I'm missing? Should I spend the $200 extra for the 15" package, which would give me 'fresh' new tires and the latest model?

Thanks again!
your sport comes with 16 inch rims right?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I would, 14" tire selection is dwindling across the spectrum, better choices now and in the future with 15" (which is also dwindling, but there are still new cars produced that come with 15" wheels from the factory, I don't think there are any with 14" wheels anymore except maybe Yaris, Mazda2? I don't even know for sure...

Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by FIT410S
your sport comes with 16 inch rims right?
Yes, mine came with 185/55R16.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I would, 14" tire selection is dwindling across the spectrum, better choices now and in the future with 15" (which is also dwindling, but there are still new cars produced that come with 15" wheels from the factory, I don't think there are any with 14" wheels anymore except maybe Yaris, Mazda2? I don't even know for sure...
Interesting. I'm not really investing that much in the steel wheels though. The amount I save from the 14" should basically be enough to buy me a new set of 15" steels? To be honest, I don't even plan to have the fit by the time the winter tires are used up. I'll have to think about it though. Thanks for bringing that up.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Honestly if you're getting 14" steel wheels you might as well try to pick some 14" Civic steel wheels off Craigslist. Could probably find a set for $40, there's probably a million of em out there.

15" steel wheels that are 4x100 with Honda hub measurements are a little harder to find.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Even better, so it is now a $300 difference. I guess that's it then, I'm gonna get 4 14" wheels off of craigslist and buy the 185/70R14 2009 Produced Michelin X-Ice Xi2s and that should do it.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Another question comes to mind. How hard is it (is it possible without expensive tools?) to move the TPMS from my tires to the new ones? If I can do it myself when I change the tires, I don't have to buy a set of TPMS and a programmer.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like I have to dismount the tire to do the sensor. No go .

Last edited by terahz; 08-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
depending on where you are, the DWS will do you wonders all season. even in snow. not deeep snow, but regular urban/suburban plowed streets.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM
You have to dismount the tires to get to the sensors, so not something you'd DIY unless you have access to a tire mounting machine and balancing equipment. If you do have access to those things from what i've seen you just need a ratchet and socket to change the sensors from one wheel to the other. I don't know for sure if the sensors will fit on old Civic steelies, they may or may not, perhaps someone else has experience with that.

I'd just deal with the TPMS light with the winter wheels unless you want to buy a second set of sensors, that's way more trouble than it's worth (to me) to have to dismount and mount tires. If you're going to do that you might as well just have a set of 16" winter tires to mount on the stock wheels.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
i do the exact opposite. no tpms on my summer wheel set and tpms on my winter set so that i can turn traction control off when i need to if i get stuck in snow. and 99% of the time, i turn traction control off while driving in the snow unless it's over an icy bridge and i need assistance. traction control is more disruptive to me than anything.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure if the TPMS fits on the steelies, should work, but not sure 100%.

It's definitely worth it to get another set of TPMS on your other set of wheels, especially if it's a snow tire set... you need to be able to disable VSA if you get stuck in snow.

Here's another tip.... go on ebay, and buy the TPMS set (search: OEM Honda Fit TPMS) sensors, there was a seller who was selling all 4 for $50 shipped (brand new)... I think now the cheapest is $69... Get those sensors, use the money you save to get a ATEQ Quickset (~$150), and you make your money back by swapping wheels whenever you want without having to pay a tire shop to do it each time.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
15 inch is great on snow and ice as it is.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM
kenchan, I live in Connecticut. While most of the time roads are clear, the skiing areas can be tricky. I'd rather be safe with winter tires than sorry. The stock dunlops are like skiis when there is 2" of snow on the ground.

That's is actually a pretty good suggestion to put the TPMS' on the winter set and deal with the light in the summer. I'm ok with the VSA on all the time in the summer.

Wanderer., I don't have access to tire mounting machine, that's why I figured I can't do it myself. I can't really go without the TPMS on the winter tires because I must be able to turn VSA off (or I'll never be able to climb a hill).

FitStir, I'll check ebay, but I'm starting to think it will cost me more in the end when I take the wheels, tires and TPMS to a shop to mount them all and balance.

On a side note, It looks like shipping is ~$150, not ~$75 as I estimated, so the final prices are + ~$100 (forgot tax too...) of above.

So the cheapest option for me is to get 14" rims from craigslist (hope they work with TPMS) and tires from tirerack, move the TPMS sensors on them and call it. That should be less than $450.

Otherwise I'm looking at:
14" set from tirerack comes to $770 (with "old" new tires)
15" set from tirerack comes to $970 (with fresh new tires and latest model)
14" craigslist wheels + ebay TPMS + tirerack tires + mounting and balancing comes to about $550 (with "old" new tires and unknown if the TPMS will fit).

All three cases I have to get the programmer for ~$150

Ah, why did I have to get into winter fun

Big thanks to everyone so far!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
yah, if you're going up a mountain, snow tires is required, maybe even chains.

the DWS is a superb all season tire, but not a match for snow tires in deep snow. i speak from experience. the DWS does very well though in most snowy streets rivaling snow tires.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
FitStir, I'll check ebay, but I'm starting to think it will cost me more in the end when I take the wheels, tires and TPMS to a shop to mount them all and balance.....
IIRC, I paid $20 per wheel to get the new tires mounted and new (2nd set) TPMS installed on my 2nd set of wheels... $20x4=$80 minus $50 (mail in rebate from the Kumho tire purchase), I winded up only paying $30 out of pocket...

search, and you will find a good deal/installer.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
On ebay they sell steel wheel TPMS sensors for a fit. That's a good sign that they will work, so I guess I'll go that route. I'll find some 14" civic rims, get the sensors on ebay, buy the tpms programmer and just order a set of nice winter 185/70R14 tires.

Cheers!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Terahz,

I'm in VT Just north of Killington so I'm pretty used to snow in this area. I got my winter wheels (Alloys) off of Ebay. Just search for Integra 15" wheels (or Civic 15" wheels) and you'll come across a large number of alloys. I got 4 Integra Mesh 15" Alloys for $50 plus the trade of a strut tower brace (worth about $75). I picked up some general Altimax Arctic tires and have no issues in the winter. The xIce should be even better (especially in CT winters - should be like Jersey winters - where I grew up) Total for me was under $400 mounted and balanced (plus the trade of the Strut brace). Keep looking on craigslist for wheels - it took me about 3-4 weeks of searching to find what I wanted, for the price I wanted... but it's out there.

~SB

Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys, I've been waiting on craigslist for a month and a half now and ... well I guess I don't live in the right area.

So, what do I need to look for in the wheel specs? 4x100 bolt pattern, anything else?

Thanks

Old 09-20-2013, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hi fitfreaks,

15" Package:
Steel wheels - $240
TPMS stuff - $140

14" Package:
Steel wheels - $164
TPMS stuff - $140

Thanks again!

Good tire choices. I'd vote for the less costly tires but I'd look to get wheels from a scrap yard insted of paying $164 for wheels unless tire rack will install and balance the wheels/tires. If not check discount tires.com They will. As for re-calibrating the vwheels TPMS thats a ci=omplete wae of money. Let the warning blink or cover it with tape.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys, I've been waiting on craigslist for a month and a half now and ... well I guess I don't live in the right area.

So, what do I need to look for in the wheel specs? 4x100 bolt pattern, anything else?

Thanks
4x100, at least 56.1mm hub bore: exactly if you want hubcentric, greater if it's not that important to you. I've run non hubcentric steelies in some pretty rough conditions and they were fine, so take that for what you will. Offset is not that important as most steel wheels have high or close to factory offsets anyway. At least 14" wheels to clear the brake calipers.

Good luck with your search

Quick Reply: Check my winter tire selection please