2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yokohama Avid Ascend T-Rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Yokohama Avid Ascend T-Rated tires

I purchased the following tires, had them installed and had a chance to use them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModClar=Base

Here is my review:

I have had 4 sets of tires on my car to include the stock Dunlops and the Yokohama Avid Envigor. The Yokohama Ascend is by far the softest of the bunch and makes my Fit perform more like a Corolla. The handling and steering has become a little bit mushy. The ride has become much quieter and going over bumps a bit easier.

For myself, these are all pluses. While I enjoyed the firm sporty ride and exact steering at times, at other times it started to get tiring. I do a lot of driving and I became exhausted after hitting bump after bump. The tire noise from the Dunlops or the Envigors also got tiring. This tire is a very welcome addition to my Honda Fit as it dumbs down the ride which is what I was looking for. Also, the dumbed down ride decreases stress on the suspension parts making them last longer.

In short, if you are looking for a more comfortable ride then this is your tire. However, performance from steering to handling to braking will be decreased. This tire, will last longer, it will make your suspension parts last longer and the ride will become more Corolla then Fit. Depending upon your wants, needs and driving style this could be a positive or negative. For me, it was a positive.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
I purchased the following tires, had them installed and had a chance to use them.

Here is my review:

I have had 4 sets of tires on my car to include the stock Dunlops and the Yokohama Avid Envigor. The Yokohama Ascend is by far the softest of the bunch and makes my Fit perform more like a Corolla. The handling and steering has become a little bit mushy. The ride has become much quieter and going over bumps a bit easier.

For myself, these are all pluses. While I enjoyed the firm sporty ride and exact steering at times, at other times it started to get tiring. I do a lot of driving and I became exhausted after hitting bump after bump. The tire noise from the Dunlops or the Envigors also got tiring. This tire is a very welcome addition to my Honda Fit as it dumbs down the ride which is what I was looking for. Also, the dumbed down ride decreases stress on the suspension parts making them last longer.

In short, if you are looking for a more comfortable ride then this is your tire. However, performance from steering to handling to braking will be decreased. This tire, will last longer, it will make your suspension parts last longer and the ride will become more Corolla then Fit. Depending upon your wants, needs and driving style this could be a positive or negative. For me, it was a positive.
Thanks for the review. For me it's a warning cause those are things I DON'T want! I can live with tire noise, but I'll pass on the reduced steering feel and mushy ride. To each their own.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by SevereService

Here is my review:

I also want these qualities in a tire. Number one softer and quieter.
What is the exact tire size you got, same as factory installed?
Your link wouldn't load.

Last edited by david223; 08-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
It looks like he used 175-65/16 I have not looked at the merits of using that size. That size is cheaper than the one I used.

I used 185-55/16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t&autoModClar=

There is a $60 rebate on them right now at Tire Rack.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I went with the stock tire size.

My opinion is this tire, out of all the other ones tried, is the easiest to live with from day to day as far as comfort and noise is concerned. In fact, before this tire I was considering selling the car or giving it to a family member as I get exhausted with the ride. Im not a young guy anymore and I drive 200 miles a day sometimes. This tire really dumbs the car down to a point which I can tolerate.

One thing to know about tires is that once its worn down past 6/32nds traction in wet weather/snow is reduced. Past 6/32nds, there is no snow traction. Past 4/32nds there is no rain traction. 2/32nds is usually the legal limit a tire can be taken to in some states and its considered 100% worn at that point.

So if you went with the stock Dunlops, for example. The tires would be useable up until 6/32nds and past that point reduces the safety of the tire. Therefore, although this particular tire reduces the handling characteristics of the vehicle in general making it more of a boulevard ride, it will be safer in the long run in wet weather and snow as it will take longer to get down to 6/32nds. I dont know anyone who has one of those tire gauges except for me. They are available at Autozone and online.

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all tire. If you want a softer ride, longer lasting tire you usually sacrifice handling/braking/steering. If you want a really sporty ride, then you sacrifice ride comfort and overall longevity of the tire.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM
a 205/50/r16 rides better, quieter, and improves handling. Most don't stick with the stock tire size.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
a 205/50/r16 rides better, quieter, and improves handling. Most don't stick with the stock tire size.
Agreed. The 205/50/16 is a better ride than the 185/55/16 stock Bridgestones for the sport. Moving to a better quality tire can improve ride quality without sacrificing braking or handling performance.

~SB

Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Do they fit the stock 16's with no issues?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM
yep its actually a size that is offered with the fits optional Mugen wheels

Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
yep its actually a size that is offered with the fits optional Mugen wheels
But what about the standard Fit Sport alloys?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by moniz
Yep they fit

Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 PM
205s on my fit

Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz
That's what my summer tires are. Hankook Ventus Concept V2 on 205/50 on the stock alloys. Much better than the stock bridgestones. Plus I got $100 off of 4 from Discount Tire during one of their regular promotions.

~SB

Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Fortunately i don't have to worry about changing out tires due to the seasons. Im leaning toward a 205/55-16 in either a Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (more of an all season type) or the Hankook RS-3's (performance/handling) summer tire.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 AM
205s on my fit

That's got to have an effect on the speedometer.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by david223
That's got to have an effect on the speedometer.
.2% difference in reading, so effectively, no difference. As long as overall circumference of wheel/tire combo is same as factory, next to no effect on speedo reading.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
there wider and and a small fraction (too small to notice) taller. Honda wouldnt have them as an option if they were off by too much.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
there wider and and a small fraction (too small to notice) taller. Honda wouldnt have them as an option if they were off by too much.
After about a few thousand miles on them, they'll be worn down to the exact diameter of the oem tires.

~SB

Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Use this to determine speed difference by tire size Palo Alto Speedometer: Speedometer Calculator
205/50/16 should be no difference I tried 205/55/16 and was off 2 mph.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Go with 195/55 size...see page three of this thread to see my Yokohama tires:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...droedge-3.html

No way I would go with a 185/55 size, and 205/50 are fatter, but not any taller than stock.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 08-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Yokohama Avid Ascend T-Rated tires