2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sudden engine "flaring" at idle or low speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
sudden engine "flaring" at idle or low speed

I bought a new 2013 Fit Sport, with AT, two and a half months ago. Last week, while idling in a line of traffic waiting at a stop light, the engine roared and RPMs shot up high. I turned the engine off; started it again; and same RPM thing happened. After a short time, engine started normally, and I drove on. Near my destination, while turning at low speed on a city street, the same thing happened. I parked safely; started the car with just the key, and same roar and RPMs. I had the car towed to the dealer, who says that it has been extensively tested and that there is nothing wrong.

Floor mats are Weather Tech specifically molded for the Fit Sport, purchased from Honda. I know that I did not press the accelerator by mistake.

Is there something about driving a Honda AT that I don't know, or am doing wrong? Car was in Drive; so I can't think of a problem. My previous vehicles were a Toyota (new, kept for 8 years) and a Dodge Colt (new, kept for over 12 years).

Has anyone experienced the situation I have? If so, what was done? At this time, I am terrified of picking the Fit up from the dealer and attempting to drive it.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelbar
I bought a new 2013 Fit Sport, with AT, two and a half months ago. Last week, while idling in a line of traffic waiting at a stop light, the engine roared and RPMs shot up high. I turned the engine off; started it again; and same RPM thing happened. After a short time, engine started normally, and I drove on. Near my destination, while turning at low speed on a city street, the same thing happened. I parked safely; started the car with just the key, and same roar and RPMs. I had the car towed to the dealer, who says that it has been extensively tested and that there is nothing wrong.

Floor mats are Weather Tech specifically molded for the Fit Sport, purchased from Honda. I know that I did not press the accelerator by mistake.

Is there something about driving a Honda AT that I don't know, or am doing wrong? Car was in Drive; so I can't think of a problem. My previous vehicles were a Toyota (new, kept for 8 years) and a Dodge Colt (new, kept for over 12 years).

Has anyone experienced the situation I have? If so, what was done? At this time, I am terrified of picking the Fit up from the dealer and attempting to drive it.
Seems to be a new problem. I have not seen it posted on here. I have Weather Techs. When I first drove with them the accelerator seemed funny. Well dumbazz put the weather tech over the pedal. I corrected that and it is fine.

I would give it another try. Just make sure you have foot ready to brake.

Where are you at?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also seems like someone got fired from honda and trying to make up some shitt story too.

clean your MAF, see if it helps.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member

How high did the RPMs jump? You're in drive, so it must have been pulling pretty hard it sounds (roared...).

It is drive-by-wire, that is the connection between the gas pedal and throttle plate is electronic. If you didn't push the pedal, and nothing else was pressing on it, then it sounds like a mysterious case of unintended acceleration (think all the stories surrounding toyotas).

I haven't heard of this on any other Fit. I know it's silly, but I'd remove the driver's area floor-mat until it's resolved.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
How high did the RPMs jump? You're in drive, so it must have been pulling pretty hard it sounds (roared...).

It is drive-by-wire, that is the connection between the gas pedal and throttle plate is electronic. If you didn't push the pedal, and nothing else was pressing on it, then it sounds like a mysterious case of unintended acceleration (think all the stories surrounding toyotas).

I haven't heard of this on any other Fit. I know it's silly, but I'd remove the driver's area floor-mat until it's resolved.
Well if the Weather Tech is under the pedal and hooked properly it won't move. Maybe he thought he bought a Fit and it is actually a Toyoda?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi! I'm sure that the RPMs were up near the top of the dial....at least 5,000 RPM and probably more. My main objective was to "clear the swamp" (LOL) , that is, shut the @#!! engine off.

Dealer has tested the car "extensively" , likely with the mats in place. Service manager said nothing about removing them for the dealer's test drives, or that the mats should be removed.

I also experienced some minor engine surges when driving at low speeds (making turns), before the Big Almost-Bang. The owner's manual says that something like this can happen when the heat or AC is on....but nothing about what to do about these incidents. Where I live, either the heat or AC is on 8-9 months of the year.

Ah, yes, Toyota (my previous vehicle).....not a good experience over the 8 years of ownership.....which is why I selected Honda.

I have left the car at the dealer's; and am talking with with the Honda Canada rep., hoping for a good outcome.

Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Hi! I'm sure that the RPMs were up near the top of the dial....at least 5,000 RPM and probably more.

I also experienced some minor engine surges when driving at low speeds (making turns), before the Big Almost-Bang. The owner's manual says that something like this can happen when the heat or AC is on....but nothing about what to do about these incidents. Where I live, either the heat or AC is on 8-9 months of the year.

I have left the car at the dealer's; and am talking with with the Honda Canada rep., hoping for a good outcome.

Thanks for everyone's help with this!
That is a lot of revs when not expecting it. I am positive it is not your mats. Some sensor is faulty by the sounds of it.

I must check the manual . Never heard of AC/Heat being a problem. At idle the fan will cause a lag when it starts.

So where are you at in Canada? Let us know the outcome.

bill

Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I am in Winnipeg. I have just traded in the 2013 Fit on a different vehicle, in which I have more confidence. There were other concerns, beside the engine flaring, that made the Fit not the best choice for me. I usually keep a car for a long time, so the financial hit, considered over 8-10 years of ownership, is worth it to me, in peace of mind.

Thank you all, and best wishes for safe and happy driving!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! I guess we will never know the cause then. Too bad. Enjoy the new vehicle.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I was told by Honda Canada that they and the dealer could find no problem with the Fit.
The dealer of the new car I bought doesn't sell "other make" trade-ins. It has sold the Fit back to the Honda dealer; and it will rightly be Honda's responsibility for safety regarding it. We may never know what the problem is. My hope is that, with my rejection of the car (at a considerable cost to me ), Honda will take a good hard look before re-selling the Fit. I am not the only person who has experienced this problem.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Well I have not seem another one on here post regarding the same problem. Seems to be only with yours.

I sure hope they sort it out before re-selling.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm curious who else has experienced this, and how you became aware (not challenging you, but honestly curious).

The car will be wholesaled to whatever dealer wants it in their inventory, and will hit the road as-is. I don't fault you for dumping it; I'd do the same. That had to be way scary and not worth waiting for it to happen again.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks! I found 2013 Honda Fit " vehicle speed control" problems at www.-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/ . This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website (safercar.gov) , which I believe is USA. I entered "problems with 2013 Honda Fit" and found 2 entries. One was from March 2013 and another from August 2013.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
uh this site? These are consumer complaints. It's the same as if you call and describe what happened.
Aug 09, 2013 - Laurel , MD - Vehicle Speed Control
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 HONDA FIT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED WHILE SHE DRIVING 50 MPH. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO CONTROL THE VEHICLE BY DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL WITH FORCE. THE FAILURE WAS EXPERIENCED SEVERAL TIMES. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER, WHO TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE BUT WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 7,000 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 8,000.
sorry but I can't imagine any fit accelerating suddenly at 50mph even when you want it to!

The second sounds like user error:
Mar 25, 2013 - San Mateo, CA - Vehicle Speed Control
I WAS ENTERING A PARKING PLACE AT APPROXIMATELY 3 MPH, TRYING TO ADJUST THE ANGLE OF ENTRY. WHEN I STEPPED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR BOLTED FORWARD. I APPLIED THE BRAKE BUT THE ACCELERATION WAS TOO FAST TO KEEP THE BRAKE FROM STOPPING THE CAR FROM COLLIDING WITH THE GUARD RAIL. THE IMPACT CAUSED THE AIR BAGS TO EJECT. THE HOOD WAS DENTED, THE RIGHT FENDER AND BUMPER WERE DISENGAGED FROM THE BODY AND THE RIGHT HEADLIGHT WAS BROKEN. THE REPAIR CAME TO OVER $10,000. IF THE GUARD RAIL HADN'T STOPPED THE CAR IT WOULD HAVE GONE OVER FROM THE 6TH FLOOR TO THE 5TH FLOOR. FORTUNATELY MY PASSENGER AND I WERE NOT INJURED DUE TO THE AIR BAGS EJECTING. MY CONCERN WITH THIS CAR IS THAT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS TOO "TOUCHY." THE DEALER HAD HIS MECHANIC CHECK THE CAR AFTER IT WAS FIXED DECLARING THAT THIS WAS THE NATURE OF THAT MODEL. HAD I KNOWN THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE CAR. I'M STILL WARY ABOUT DRIVING THE CAR THREE MONTHS LATER.
This one from 2010 sounds a lot like what you described happening to your car:
Jun 22, 2011 - New Rochelle, NY - Vehicle Speed Control
I HAVE A 2010 HONDA FIT SPORT AUTOMATIC, PURCHASED NEW. WHILE DRIVING ABOUT 5 MPH (I.E., GOING DOWN A SPIRAL RAMP, PARKING MY CAR INSIDE THE GARAGE IN MY HOME AND BEING IN EXTREMELY SLOW STOP-AND-GO TRAFFIC) MY RIGHT FOOT IS ON AND OFF THE BRAKE. I DO NOT USE MY LEFT FOOT AT ALL IN DRIVING. FOUR TIMES IN THE PAST YEAR (FROM JULY 2010 TO JUNE 2011) DURING SUCH SITUATIONS THE ENGINE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AND THE NEEDLE ON THE RPM DIAL WENT TO 4,000-5,000. I HAD TO STEP HARD WITH MY RIGHT FOOT ON THE BRAKE TO KEEP THE CAR FROM LURCHING FORWARD. THE LAST TIME IT HAPPENED ON JUNE 5, 2011 IN THE MIDDLE OF EXTREMELY SLOW STOP-AND-GO TRAFFIC. I HAD TO PUT BOTH FEET ON THE BRAKE AND QUICKLY SHIFTED INTO NEUTRAL TO AVOID HITTING THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. THIS TIME MY WIFE WAS IN THE CAR WITH ME AND WITNESSED THIS MOST SCARY AND DANGEROUS INCIDENT. I EXPLAINED ALL OF THIS TO THE MECHANICS AT MY LOCAL HONDA DEALER WHEN I BROUGHT MY CAR IN FOR SERVICE ON 6/21/11. HOWEVER, THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO RECREATE A SUDDEN ACCELERATION SITUATION AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH MY CAR. MY ONLINE SEARCHES INDICATE THAT THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF SIMILAR SITUATIONS WITH PRIOR-YEAR MODELS OF THE HONDA SPORT. I AM CERTAIN THERE IS AN UNDISCOVERED PROBLEM WITH MY CAR, AND POSSIBLY OTHERS, WHICH REQUIRES INVESTIGATION BY THE NHTSA.
Most of the others are pretty funny. I don't think the frequency of complaints is anything like Toyota experienced or we'd be hearing about it on Fox News.

It's a pretty cool website, the top 10 cars confirm a tightly held belief I have about Ford and Dodge.

If mine behaved the way yours does I'd be raising hell. What did you replace it with?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
here's an engine complaint

11/9/2012 - ORLANDO, FL
THE CONTACT OWNED A 2010 HONDA FIT. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 55 MPH THE DRIVER CRASHED INTO A POLE AND PROCEEDED TO CRASH INTO A TREE LOCATED BEHIND THE POLE. THE VEHICLE ROLLED OVER AND EXPLODED INTO FLAMES. THE ENGINE DETACHED FROM THE VEHICLE.
Damn I just spent an hour reading these. It's fun!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
While some of the complaints are obviously driver error, there are some SUAs such as I experienced (1. while idling in traffic at a stop light, waiting to move; 2. while making a turn at slow speed; and 3. after shutting the engine off when parked, after episode # 2 and re-starting the engine with key only, no accelerator pressure). I will be happy to acknowledge if I have done something wrong in driving any vehicle.

You asked what replaces the 2013 Honda Fit. It may be a "bland, mashed potatoes" , or "Grandma" car to some; but my choice is a 2014 Toyota Corolla. My research indicated that in 2011, Toyota added a Smart Stop brake override system. This cuts throttle input once the brake is activated, even if the throttle pedal is still depressed. Of course, there is still a chance of a electronic or other glitch; but this is a safety feature I haven't discovered in other makes. I discovered, in various forums, reports of SUAs in Honda Civics (something I was considering), Nissans, and Hyundais. The independent garage owner who serviced my previous car for years told me, the other day, of a Nissan owner coming to him with an SUA problem.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
2014 Corolla was reviewed nicely the other day in the NY Times.

Nothing wrong there, and with the software/hardware changes they should eliminate any chance of unintended acceleration.

If it came in a hatch, it would have been on my shopping list. The 09 Yaris Hatch didn't do it for me...

Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
But how am I supposed to LFB on my way to work if the ECU cuts power when I hit the brakes?!?!? JK (a little?)

The joys of electronic throttle. I am surprised there is not more of this in general. Sorry to hear the dealership was unable to find the problem. It was intermittent I take it?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Yep, intermittent it was. The big incidents which I described happened during a a 30-minute city drive. Previously, there were 10 - 12 intermittent smaller "jumps", at slow speed and when making turns, over the 2 1/2 months in which I owned the car. In those incidents , I braked sharply (thank goodness, no one ran into the back of my car), and then driving was normal until the next "jump".

Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
I experienced this twice after I took it to a car wash......in both cases, and as mentioned by others, the weathertech was laid out in a way so that the accelerator was covered and the brake pedal not. So when I tried to brake or take my foot off, the car would flare up....1st time freaked me out I put on the ebrake and the car was trying to drag itself into the intersection....

now I put aluminum pedal covers to highlight the pedals and double check the weathertechs!

Quick Reply: sudden engine "flaring" at idle or low speed