2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air filter is good? don't wanna spend like $400 in PW JDM intake lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
K&N air filter is good? don't wanna spend like $400 in PW JDM intake lol

K&N video clip.. thanks

2009-2012 Honda Fit 1.5L Air Intake Feature Video

Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
honestly just leave it stock... it's just a noise generator.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Get the drop in filter

Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
honestly just leave it stock... it's just a noise generator.
^What he said.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM
If you own a manual transmission, it is GREAT for the added response

I believe the cheapest brand name intake is $160, Takeda? Injen? Cannot remember

If automatic, it does help a little bit, but overall, it is minimal gains UNLESS you get full exhaust!! Then an intake has been PROVEN to add noticeable power (since the engine can finally breathe)

EDIT a dropin filter is GARBAGE. not NEARLY enough of an effect, even with noise.

Either stay stock or buy a full intake kit

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
If you own a manual transmission, it is GREAT for the added response

I believe the cheapest brand name intake is $160, Takeda? Injen? Cannot remember

If automatic, it does help a little bit, but overall, it is minimal gains UNLESS you get full exhaust!! Then an intake has been PROVEN to add noticeable power (since the engine can finally breathe)

EDIT a dropin filter is GARBAGE. not NEARLY enough of an effect, even with noise.

Either stay stock or buy a full intake kit
To my knowledge, the Fit's ECU optimizes fuel efficiency so unless you remap your car's ECU, any mods (especially an intake and/or exhaust) will be pretty useless once the chip recognizes disturbances in it's original mileage output.

I have an Injen CAI and an HKS Hi-Power exhaust. They've done nothing to my car in terms of power output. Just a louder, throatier noise.

EDIT
I owned an aFe drop in air filter before upgrading to the CAI; I'm convinced the $50 filter did absolutely nothing in terms of noise and performance. Pay $100-150 more for an intake for the noise and the belief that you're going faster.

Last edited by benedictARNOLD; 10-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I have the time slips from the dragstrip to prove my air intake, 1 step colder spark plugs, and lowered front (less drag) work.

Considering my air intake temps are never below 150 degrees and the ambient temps outside were similar across many runs, I can firmly say my car was stock running a 17.3 @ roughly 78MPH, and now it is a 16.8 @ 84MPH

That 17.3 was done that night after 5 runs to dial in my launch, and to stabilize my fuel trims.

Stock, I was pushing around 3-4 for my longterm fuel trim, now I waver between 6 and 8. The ODB2 scanner doesnt lie for me.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Interesting. I still don't feel the difference. So $33 spark plugs will let me see gains in power?!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes. Realize this though, Honda made the Fit to be very reliable and fuel saving. The timing advances from running 93 octane and the colder plugs took about 1 1/2 tanks of fuel to be accounted for.

The Fit's ecu is extremely adaptive, but its main interest is reliability. This means it will only test an advanced timing one little step at a time.

I had to reset my ecu recently for improving my ground wires again, and I immediately noticed my fuel trims skyrocket to around 12, and my timing advance dropped over 10 degrees according to my OBD2 scanner (bluetooth and android Torque app)

The spark plugs I used were factory ones from the AP1 Honda S2000 The AP2 S2000 plugs are same heat range as fit (AP1 was F20C 2.0 liter, AP2 is the F22C 2.2 liter). Just ask for Denso plugs for a 2001 or 2002 Honda S2000

$32.80 with my military discount.

I definitely think its worth the extra $2.50 per tankful difference between 87 and 93. The extra power and the slight increase in fuel economy balances the cost difference nearly to zero.

If there are any nay sayers, feel free to find me in Fort Hood Texas, I will take you for a ride as the car is, then reset the ecu and show you the difference.

Remember, the ecu is highly adaptive. But it takes minor steps to ensure its number one goal of reliability and second goal of gas mielage, are met before performance is available.

Score one more yet again to Honda's ecu engineers!!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by benedictARNOLD
To my knowledge, the Fit's ECU optimizes fuel efficiency so unless you remap your car's ECU, any mods (especially an intake and/or exhaust) will be pretty useless once the chip recognizes disturbances in it's original mileage output.
So trying to track this myth down so please tell us the source of this ECM knowledge.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I have the time slips from the dragstrip to prove my air intake, 1 step colder spark plugs, and lowered front (less drag) work.

Considering my air intake temps are never below 150 degrees and the ambient temps outside were similar across many runs, I can firmly say my car was stock running a 17.3 @ roughly 78MPH, and now it is a 16.8 @ 84MPH

That 17.3 was done that night after 5 runs to dial in my launch, and to stabilize my fuel trims.

Stock, I was pushing around 3-4 for my longterm fuel trim, now I waver between 6 and 8. The ODB2 scanner doesnt lie for me.
I'm curious, what kind of variance do you get between runs normally? (times and mph, not trims). This could be a single night or over multiple sessions. Did you investigate the differences with each individual change?

I'm sure the obd2 readout isn't lying, but what significance do you place on the LT trims being different, other than they're different?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM
I got a K&N drop in years ago, it sounds cooler. Definitely. I still have it. My sensors haven't exploded yet, even after re-oiling.

Recently started running 91. It took two tanks but I can say definitely not a placebo effect. There's a noticeable difference in torque under the curve. I'm not going back. Ever. I drive up plenty of hills every day that I can instantly tell the difference (power under curve) I tried this once before but the tank was diluted and I don't think I gave the ECU enough time to adjust. I'll forgo one Starbucks Grande a week to pay for it Going to get those plugs when it's time to change (IK22)

Octane thread go!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm... 13fit caught my attention. but wanderer is saying it's got more to do with the octane than the intake.

i use stock intake with 87 fuel. the car is plenty quick for a ecohatch... but you guys are saying it can be quicker? really?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Honda Fit Power Pages - Import Tuner Magazine

Intakes are worth it but as others have stated I believe you need to combine it with a free-er flowing exhaust to take advantage of the full gains

The HP numbers have been proven time and time again with full aftermarket intake but drop-in filters are very minimal gains on top of not having to throw out a filter

I will most likely upgrade to a full intake over time, not sure which one yet since I am just fine with running the K&N drop-in right now

Last edited by Waiz; 10-24-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't have any experience with a full intake on the Fit. I don't particularly want one at this point because:

1) No CARB legal ones for GE8, I don't want to deal with removing it for smog and on the super duper off chance I get pulled over an my hood popped I don't want to deal with the ref. I know it takes like 10 minutes to change it and that is a very marginal risk considering how stock my car is.

2) There's other things i'd rather have first for the money.

3) Too loud, had intakes for years, over it.

You are increasing volume, I am willing to bet what Waizzz is saying holds true. You will need to increase exhaust flow, volume as well to take advantage. I am not sure how much any of the short rams help decreasing IAT over the stock system which already pulls coldish air.

4) I won't run an exhaust daily anymore. I may have a downpipe made for fun days, that's about it.

I can hear the timing increase with 91. It's a low sound I can hear it in the induction noise. People who have done timing advances with distributors should know that sound. There's a sweet spot right before it starts pinging. I have never owned a timing gun People will say i'm crazy but I have good ears and drive with my radio off a lot. I was reading through some old threads and basically got sold. All the naysayers keep talking about dynos, but the power increases won't show up on a WOT dyno much if at all I don't think. Why? Because at WOT ignition advance is maxed out and fuel delivery is maxed out, these may be hard set limits, I highly doubt Honda will allow unlimited timing advance. What about power under curve where ignition timing is NOT maxed out. ECU will increase timing here until knock occurs. With higher octane you're allowed more advance here under load because it won't knock as easily.

I could see how plugs + intake would increase fuel trim. I'm just saying i'm not sold on slapping an intake on would improve power much without other support, especially running 87.

Besides, my butt dyno is SAE corrected and 99% accurate

Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Higher octane + one step colder spark plug, has been proven by Oscar Jackson to advance timing...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ark-plugs.html
The original link (Kraftwerks) is down.

As for intake... even DSM says the factory isn't that restrictive.

as for the OP's title - if your thinking about buying from pwjdm check this first - PasswordJDM going out of business - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
That's not a credible source! lol JK

I don't think the stock intake is that restrictive either, just look at the pipe diameter. Compare that to old Hondas. I think the advantage will come in at WOT, you will increase velocity because there are less bends and a cone filter with some velocity stack type properties.

I thought that PWJDM closing was a PR stunt?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.

I thought that PWJDM closing was a PR stunt?
It was... but what does that say about them? kinda shady, no?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Shady indeed.

"We're closing buy all our stuff before you can't!"

2 days later:

"nah jk, I never said we were closing for good technically lol thanks tho"

Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
bottom of stock box is restrictive to unfiltered air. gutting box so that it was a stock filter opened up to air above transmission netted some response and minor throatiness.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter is good? don't wanna spend like $400 in PW JDM intake lol