2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Restoring my 2009 Fit GE

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Question Restoring my 2009 Fit GE

Hello! This is my first post at the forum.
Im from Monterrey, Mexico and on november last year I became a happy owner of a GE (second gen) Honda Fit. I believe that here in Mexico we have the JDM version? Im not very familiar with all the terminologies for the Fit models, but judging from my car "looks" it seems that it is a JDM version.

Here is a pic of my car:

Anyways, to make the long story short: I purchased my 2009 Automatic Fit (base model) for a bargain (I paid around 5.9k USD for it while most of the 09 Fits are around 8.5K USD). The previous owner told me that it was a "recovered" car from a crash. Although, he didn't have any pictures of the car before the crash he told me the car had a frontal crash. I drove the car and it "felt" good.

I have been very happy with my Fit it is economical on gas and parts and services are cheaper and easier to get than my previous car (Fiat Grand Punto Sport which I loved but was wracked in an accident.)

The car is working fine, the engine sounds good and I took it for a full engine service anyways. When I bought it I noticed that the car had a couple of electrical cables hanging around at the engine trunk. I knew that I could fix that later on so I decided to buy it anyways.

I later found out that one of those cables was the airbag sensor! I was looking around the forum to see where the sensor should be placed and thought for a moment that the sensor should be placed at the front, just above the condenser (radiator) in the same bracket the horn is.

Here is a picture of the cables:

I know what these cables are for except for this one:

Does anybody know the part number for the whole cable assembly? Maybe it would be better to buy it than try to restore it.

I think that the airbag sensors at the front would be for the USDM version.

When I removed the front bumper (I found the thread on this forum btw thanks!) I saw that the airbag sensor (driver side) which is not loose is attached not exactly in the front of the car, but in one side.

Can someone please confirm that this is the correct location for the airbag sensor in the JDM Fit? Should the passenger's side sensor be located at the opposite side of the car?

When I disassembled the front bumper to see what else should be wrong with the car... I found this:

I Found that both the condenser and the radiator are loose!

This is the right side

This is the left side (driver's side)

So now I would like to restore it (or fix it) so the radiator and condenser are properly attached. Does anybody knows what are the part numbers for the black metal brackets holding the radiator and condenser from the top?? I believe the JDM version has 3 black metal brackets, and I only have two (and the left one is bended)

And finally... (sorry my first post is probably too long) there is one long blue cable going directly from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery. There's a connector on the alternator that is supposed to have a cable but it has none! instead there is that blue cable...

Here's the picture:

Do you know what is the part number for the original cable and how or where it is supposed to be connected?

So, my Fit is a kind of electrical mess but strangely it is working fine!
Im determined to restore it so it looks like nothing happened, but I dont knwo if you guys suggest or recommend otherwise.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Regards

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
I'd start by getting a shop manual. Here they have a separate body shop manual . I don't know about Mexican spec fits. Looks like JDM but they'd be right hand drive, who knows what else is different.

There are a basket full of bushings and other odds and ends that have been left off. With the repairs to the alternator connection there must have been broken wires. You're probably going to need a new wiring harness.

Chances are it doesn't have airbags if it suffered a front end collision. But be careful, those can go off and hurt someone.

Sorry, I can't be more optimistic.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Hello Steve.
Thanks for your reply.
I will look for the body shop manual around the forum, hopefully I can find it here, if not I will use google.

I have bought USDM parts for my Fit and they are the same (since it is the same engine here) so probably the wiring harness for the alternator could be the same. Do you happen to know the part number for that one?

I took the car to a shop and they plugged in some "scanner" and the airbags did not sent an alert. The only alert that it has is the "oxygen sensor". But I think I will take it to a Honda dealership so they plug in the original scanner so I can be sure about that.

About the airbags... you´re probably right, since the sensor is hanging loose on the hood the passenger airbag might have activated by now. So I believe there are two possible reasons: 1. No airbag 2. Bad sensor or the third one: Both! LOL

Geez, I love the car so far but sometimes I think I should sell it and get another used one that hasn´t been crashed. At the end I will be more satisfied if I can restore at least the electrical wires and sell it "as is". But maybe then I wouldn't want to sell it...

Regards!

Last edited by Divanus; 01-31-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't seen a body shop manual online (or a regular shop manual). These are for sale on ebay often.

Maybe there is a Mexican Honda website that publishes parts diagrams that would help. If not maybe one in Europe or the UK could give you ideas about what parts to buy. Here's one I use, but of course it only shows USDM. Just the engine wire harness that includes the alternator connections is over $300.00US.

The structure of the front end is different enough from the US models that I can't help looking at pictures of yours.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-31-2014 at 08:25 AM.