2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoon Turbulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Spoon Turbulator

I'm curious if any one has tried the CRZ Spoon Turbulator? It would fit over the antenna no issue. The issue maybe that it doesn't "flex fit", but the contours of the roofs aren't that extreme. but from the looks of the bottom pic it seems to flex a lot. Can anyone get their hands on one to check fitment for the GE?

http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/39150-zf1-000.html

Last edited by De36; 03-07-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think the main premise is to "shake up" the air flowing down the back side of the CRZ, which (in those pictures) is the longer clamshell, rather than short hatch we have. In other words, it probably wouldn't be very functional by the antenna (which you'd also need to swap if you still have it as stock)

Now, if your reason for using this is more form than function... The overall curve looks pretty close to the Fit. And thats all i'm gonna say.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
They are more commonly know as "vortex generators". You're close, they don't "shake up" the fluid flow, they "swirl" which in turns smooths out the flow off the back of the roof to decrease drag by bring the flow closer to the rear window in the case of the CRZ. In tech-ie terms they "delay fluid flow separation of the boundary layer" off the back of the car. The longer you delay the separation the less drag.

What applies to a Hatch:
They lessen the "wake" off the back of the car, which also creates drag.

Its not going to be a night and day mod, but it is functional. I agree that form trumps over all performance gains. But then again it would be like questioning the functionality of a front lip, which many of us have installed.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Except, form does NOT trump performance for me.

I won't say that I have no mods that are just for looks. But like the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," what you like is different from what I like. Personally, I dislike the DIY lip. As such, I don't have it.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Except, form does NOT trump performance for me.

I won't say that I have no mods that are just for looks.
Lol.

10char

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
Spoon

I wonder if this would look nice on a GD3 ? It seems like with a short antenna it could fit. I just want one since its Spoon and looks cool. I +Spoon = Sucker.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Should lower the stall speed of our aircraft from about 600mph to 590mph.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Should lower the stall speed of our aircraft ...
That's actually correct. In terms of a plane, the same idea applies; delaying the flow separation around the wing to increase lift and decrease stall. Though it's used a bit differently on a car, reducing airfoil separation is the goal.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
This won't do much, if anything, on a hatchback, there's no wing or trunklid and the vortex is just disappearing into space. I wrote quite a long post about this a long time ago on here with included PDF and technical papers. You won't gain downforce with it and you won't gain any fuel economy.

Looks cool though, i'd be afraid it'd be too long for the Fit, best to get measurements, you are right.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This won't do much, if anything, on a hatchback, there's no wing or trunklid and the vortex is just disappearing into space. I wrote quite a long post about this a long time ago on here with included PDF and technical papers. You won't gain downforce with it and you won't gain any fuel economy.

Looks cool though, i'd be afraid it'd be too long for the Fit, best to get measurements, you are right.
Yes, on a daily driver the gain are negligible, I doubt any exist.

Above 90~100 mph (like track conditions) there are effects. They are function-less below that. Whether the effects are measurable... only a wind tunnel could tell.

The "vortex" doesn't need to go over a spoiler to be effective. Like a rear diffuser, it would calm the transition to the wake off the back of the car. Hatches have a large wake that creates drag.

It's a matter of cosmetics at this point since a Fit will never see a wind tunnel. Lol.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes, true at higher speeds they may help. Honda did a pretty good job designing the hatchback area on the GE in regards to drag I think. The window sides and roof slope down quite a bit, all rounded nicely, giving the Fit a small butt lol

The rear section of the fit is actually pretty small right? Looking at the picture above they did a pretty good job of making the Fit a "teardrop" despite the car's hatchback design.

I believe to get the most use out of VGs on the Fit, especially at higher speeds, you'd have to position them pretty far forward from the rear, maybe in front of where the antenna is placed, which would work for these Spoon VGs, but may look kind of silly? IDK

The sport model "spoiler" I think actually decreases drag instead of increases it for the same reason that VGs reduce drag, by reducing separation and keeping the air off the hatch... well maybe if it had a little less angle it'd be better at it.

I like talking about this stuff so i'm just playing a little devil's advocate here to prod the discussion along. I do think VG's would see bigger effects on a car like an old Civic hatch, where the window just drops off of a box top. I'm definitely not saying they are completely useless.

See how far forward the CRZ's VG mounting point is? I mean use the antenna for reference right.

I think some people just slap VGs on the very back of the car and call it a day but it's not that simple. I am willing to bet Spoon did at least some modeling on the design with software to determine where to put it. Maybe i'm giving them too much credit

Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
imo, a big waste of money unless you want it for the looks. to me they dont even look that great...?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I think some people just slap VGs on the very back of the car and call it a day but it's not that simple. I am willing to bet Spoon did at least some modeling on the design with software to determine where to put it. Maybe i'm giving them too much credit
You're right it's not that simple. The placement should be just before the layer of air separates, this usually is when the roof starts to slope down (like near the antenna).

Another example is the WRX guys that have hatches run VGs. Made by Subaru and VIS two big companies.

You might be giving the bigger tuning companies too much credit, I would suspect that they have a really good idea how it should be shaped and where it should be placed based off of past experiences... But note no company has produced drag coefficient data of any kind. So I suspect style is the focus.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
That's not entirely true, M-Tec (formally Mugen) has produced drag coefficients on some of their kits. They have a whole section of their facility in Saitama that is off-hands to even some of their own employees, I begged to be let in, knowing it wasn't going to happen. Granted they are larger than most JDM companies to include Spoon, J's and the others that cater to Hondas, but they in fact do lots of testing inside a tunnel of wind.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
chargespeed makes one, w/o tryin to figure out how to make it fit

Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
...M-Tec (formally Mugen) has produced drag coefficients on some of their kits.

...I begged to be let in, knowing it wasn't going to happen.

...the others that cater to Hondas, but they in fact do lots of testing inside a tunnel of wind.
Do you have a link to the "coefficient charts", I'm pretty interested in that.

Lol. A lot of companies don't let civilians in to the R&D labs. But hey it was worth a shot. haha.

Race teams do tunnel testing for sure, no matter what size, it's the only way to stay competitive.

But we're talking about companies that make an off the shelf parts ($100-$500). How much testing can they really do and is it worth it? Does the average buyer know what they are looking at even if companies did share that info?

APR shares their airfoil charts and other info. But that's the reason they cost $1700 for a wing or $5000 for a kit, you're paying for the R&D. Not exactly an "off the self double sided sticky tape" type of product.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
chargespeed makes one, w/o tryin to figure out how to make it fit
Is this available? Any links?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
JDM BODY KIT CHARGESPEED

or goto

japanparts.com

Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Am i the only one who thinks this mod screams "GOT RICE?!"