2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install paddle shift, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Install paddle shift, possible?

Hi, i have been searching throughout google and couldn't find definite answer, at least for the ge8. So is it possible to install paddle shifter to a non paddle shift ge8? Well, we do not have paddleshift for the base model here except for rs type. I was thinking to buy the oem shifter along with the module, if it's possible.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
I would think it would be "possible."

But, I would wonder how much work would need to be done. Is the paddles a separate module, if so, would the ECU have a place to accept a connection? If not to either question, the ECU would need to be swapped.

If its swapped, how would it affect the car? Would a swap conflict with the engine? Mismatched engine size to what the ECU expects could prove bad. Would it conflict with the transmission? I know JDM Fits have different ratios from USDM Fits, would the source match yours in Jakarta?

What about the miscellaneous components that tie into the ECU?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I would think it would be "possible."

But, I would wonder how much work would need to be done. Is the paddles a separate module, if so, would the ECU have a place to accept a connection? If not to either question, the ECU would need to be swapped.

If its swapped, how would it affect the car? Would a swap conflict with the engine? Mismatched engine size to what the ECU expects could prove bad. Would it conflict with the transmission? I know JDM Fits have different ratios from USDM Fits, would the source match yours in Jakarta?

What about the miscellaneous components that tie into the ECU?
I guess nobody has ever done this in jakarta. I just can't find any source here related to paddleshift. But i think you're right, it will be complicated. Some Pajero sport user managed to do this though, but like you said, need a lot of workaround

Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
This reminds me of the climate control thing. The only way to be sure is to compare the schematics of the non paddle versions and paddle versions.

Basically you have to carefully analyze both and see if the paddle shift module can be swapped in.

Then you have to compare part numbers for various relevant components to make sure that the tranny is indeed the same between the two and the ecu will "accept" it. On the sport version with paddle shifter, the display is slightly different than the non paddle shift version. So there is a very real chance you would need a new gauge cluster as well....

Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I've often wondered about this myself, but really have no access to information. Also, to have a metric cluster that would be paddle shift, I'd likely be looking at one from continental Europe or Asia, since (I don't think) Canadian Sports have paddle shift.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
When I was taking apart the steering wheel to install the audio controls, I noted there didn't seem to be any wires leading out of the clockspring for paddle shifters. If anything, you'd have to wire from the clockspring to whichever computer controls the transmission shift override.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the base model had a less aggressive shift profile compared to the sport. I'd at least look into it, might mean swapping ECU's or control modules necessary.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
If I had to guess, you'd need the ECU, paddles and associated wiring, maybe the shifter plate would be a good idea, and the dash. So basically, find a junked sport/auto at the wreckers.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
@Connor
The gauge did not come accross on my mind til you've mentioned it. Wish they just have universal paddle shift that will plug n play directly

Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I know this is a completely different car but probably the basic idea is there.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361439

Wires make me dizzy

Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Those are some of the worst wiring diagrams I've ever seen. OTOH, maybe its a little more simple than we all think. I would love to have a wrecked car to reverse engineer to see exactly how it works. Unfortunately, with the GE's sales numbers, its unlikely we'll see a lot of wrecked ones anytime soon, and if they're out there, they probably aren't cheap.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Honda tends to cheap out and make these sort of things separate modules rather than integrating them into existing components such as the gauge cluster. This case might be an exception though due to the different display.

Spryter, I think the newer sports come with paddles if I'm not mistaken.

Best way to find out, you gotta somehow get the ESM for both base and sport and compare the 2 schematics. Much easier than reverse engineering the actual part.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Looking into it further, the paddle shifters use a total of 4 wires, two of which are ground, the other two go through the clockspring, one light blue, on yellow, to pins A48(down) and A47(up) on the PCM ("Axx" being the 49pin connector).

Where the PCM connector is located, I don't know.

Last edited by tankton; 04-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Neat. This is interesting to me because I can't drive stick. Ruined my shoulder a few years ago and it hurts to shift gears too much.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Never reference a German wiring diagram for anything other than German cars.

I would think sport ECU and paddles would be required. I checked on Majestic Honda and the part numbers are different between sport and base for the PCM. I am not sure how different they are.

Sport:
37820-RP3-309
37820-RP3-A64(rewrite-able)

Base:
37820-RP3-A41(rewrite-able)

That is for 2010, the P/N for 2011+ are different.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Never reference a German wiring diagram for anything other than German cars.

I would think sport ECU and paddles would be required. I checked on Majestic Honda and the part numbers are different between sport and base for the PCM. I am not sure how different they are.

Sport:
37820-RP3-309
37820-RP3-A64(rewrite-able)

Base:
37820-RP3-A41(rewrite-able)

That is for 2010, the P/N for 2011+ are different.

The Sport Canadian does not have paddles, so would it have US Base stuff?

You do not see many posts raving about the paddles. I feel I am not missing much. I leave mine in 3rd around the city and find it a lot of fun without fear of missing a shift or revving the crap out of it.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
According to Toronto Honda Parts PCM is

37820-RP3-A54

Toronto Honda Parts - Parts List

So it's possible you guys got your own programming for the paddleless Sport.

Again, I am just going off P/N and I have no idea if the numbers are only different to differentiate between M/Y and trim or if there are actual differences in programming.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM
In addition, the harness that goes through the firewall has different part numbers between US Base and Sport configurations.

Now, it still is possible, since it's possible the primary difference in PCM/EDU numbers is to account for different shifter (PRND-D3-2-1 for the Base, PRNDS for Sport) and the slightly different instrument cluster (paddle shifter cars get the gear number indicator, iirc).

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I've been told that worksbell makes univerasal paddleshift. Too bad it does not say for ge8

Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Any update on this thread, I have a JDM L13 with a CVT

Quick Reply: Install paddle shift, possible?