2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a great deal to buy the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Is this a great deal to buy the Fit?

Middletown, RI 2011 Honda Fit Sport Certified Hatchback Newport, RI Portsmouth, RI Saccucci Honda | 7522 | JHMGE8G50BC017512

Personally,

the good:

Blue!!!! My favourite colour!!! :-D
30k miles
Certified Used Car--Manufactured (I think)
Very affordable as I could trade in my 2001 Nissan Frontier truck (77k miles) with a possible trade in value at $7,000 (Kelly Blue Book value value at $8500)

Bad:

No Navigation System (I really want it although not required. Heck, I cant even know if it useful or perhaps in the same level as the modern GPS e.g. Garmin)

Can't drive manual--Im willing to learn though

Overall, what do you think? Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM
It's a good deal I got a black 2011 5 speed man sport for 13000 with 31000 miles honda certified the certified part is a big bonus cause you know your covered for any problems on top of the factory warrenty you keep till 2018 or 100000 miles as for the stick shift part it's the perfect car to learn in has a clutch delay so it kinda holds the clutch a extra half a second after you let off but it's your call I've always had stick shift cars a lot more fun to drive for me nothing beats a nice launch with a manual car

Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 AM
It seems a little on the pricy side to me. If you can find a leftover new '13 Fit you could probably get it for not all that much more, and of course get a brand new car with a full factory warranty. Of course, if you're on a specific budget, that might not be a reasonable or responsible option.

There were no manual transmission Fit's with factory navigation made (for the US market, at least in recent years). A Garmin/TomTom/Magellen or even a smart phone will provide at least as good navigation, with a more polished interface, and probably have more up to date maps and POIs and maps for a lot less money than the factory nav system. (Possibly this is changed with the new '15 models just coming out.)

The Fit is not at all a bad car to learn to drive manual with. It's reasonably forgiving, and geared low enough that it doesn't stall out too easily, and the shifter has a pretty decent feel (so you can actually find the gears without too much trouble).

Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
John, I just did a cars.com search on 2011 Fits that are certified as well. I found at least two that were lower then your price, both of which were sport models. I would go do that search right now. Of course there may not be anything in your immediate area, but the search would give you an idea nationally what pricing should be and you might be able to find one that is within a reasonable drive or train ride away. I bought my Fit sight unseen over the phone and had to drive 3 hours one way to get it. It was WELL worth it. As Drew said, I'd be hesitant to fork over money while Honda dealers will be scrambling to get rid of their 2013s as the weeks go by. Good luck.

Last edited by BurntZ; 06-02-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
On low end cars like the Fit, getting a used one from a dealer is almost not worth it. You're looking at a 2 year old car with 30k for painfully close to what a new one goes for.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
It also depends on how fast you want/need another car

Not many used fits for sale in my area (NY) and I waited a while to find a 2009 sport with 25K for $11,500 in private sale. Sold my old car in a private sale also. Dealer wanted about 13K for 2011 with 40k miles and wanted to give me $2k less for my car than I sold it for (it was a corolla and I sold it in one weekend). But it was a bit of a hassle switching plates etc - in my case, everyone was nice and we all just gave each other rides to and from the cars, but the convenience of a dealer might be worth the extra $$$ to some.

I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen, personally either, so that limited me to what kind of a trip I would make in a day.

So the dealer cost is a bit pricey compared to a private sale, but I think not much different than you are likely to find in other dealerships.

You should consider if you really want a manual or automatic though. I can drive both and have had both - and I think it is a bit of a pain in city traffic. If you are more rural, the manual would be fine. I wouldn't buy a car that you don't know how to drive until you see if you like the manual.

I don't like the built in navigation systems personally. The portable ones can get updates maps and tend to have better traffic info (mexico and canada included) and aren't expensive and you can take them if you go in someone else's car. I am planning on having my fit a long longer than the permanent nav system is likely to be useful.

If you have your heart set, it is true that you can get better deals when the dealership is at the end of their quota period (usually the end of the month).

Good luck finding your fit !