2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low MPG – should I bring my 2012 in, or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoJaskill
Guys – I'm not disappointed in the car at all. This is easily the best car I've ever owned. I figured I'd get closer to 27-28 in the city is all. But I literally live downtown, where the closest freeway is fourteen red lights away, and I almost never get on it. Maybe once a week tops. So I understand – I'm kind of in a 'worst-area-for-mpg' scenario.

What started getting me worried was posts like these, which I should take with a boulder of salt: Fit - Vortex Blue (Honda Fit) | Fuelly
That guy is actually claiming to somehow be getting higher than 36mpg in the city. I'm not buying it.

I thought when I got the car that it had a ten gallon tank (just a guess, but seemed right because only 9.5 gallons would fit when the tank was empty – plus it was super convenient for quick calculations) and I was surprised that it got 24 MPG combined. This was my first full tank, so of course I was used to driving a big torque-y 2.5 boxer engine and I was probably accelerating wrong (and accelerating right, too, if you know what I mean). Since then I've gotten used to when shifts come and can avoid unnecessary gear changes, carry speed better, etc. I thought I was doing all right when my next tank came back 27 with nothing but city driving.

Turns out the Fit has a 10.6 gallon tank. Which lowers all of my previous calculations a bit.

But no biggie. As long as others are getting similar numbers and there's nothing wrong with mine, I'm gonna work on getting the most out of a tank (without pissing off everyone behind me). Thanks guys!
Does this mean that you are calculating your MPG by dividing the miles you traveled on each tank by 10.6? If that is the case, then your calculations are wrong. I've learned from experience that when the empty light turns on, there is AT LEAST 1.8 gallons left in the tank.

To calculate MPGs, I take the number of gallons I traveled, and divide that by the number of gallons that were filled up in my previous tank - this is a good estimate since the gallons you filled up should be the same as the gallons you've used up in the previous tank. This in itself is an estimate still since gas stations can either underfill or overfill the tank as well.

Also - the MPG meter is actually pretty accurate - it probably overestimates the MPG by between .5 to 1 MPG.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ydnality
Does this mean that you are calculating your MPG by dividing the miles you traveled on each tank by 10.6? If that is the case, then your calculations are wrong. I've learned from experience that when the empty light turns on, there is AT LEAST 1.8 gallons left in the tank.

To calculate MPGs, I take the number of gallons I traveled, and divide that by the number of gallons that were filled up in my previous tank - this is a good estimate since the gallons you filled up should be the same as the gallons you've used up in the previous tank. This in itself is an estimate still since gas stations can either underfill or overfill the tank as well.

Also - the MPG meter is actually pretty accurate - it probably overestimates the MPG by between .5 to 1 MPG.
Also some tips for getting higher mpgs.

1. Use synthetic oil ( I use mobil 1 0w20)
2. As other ppl said, accelerate slower. Anything over 3000 RPM will ruin your fuel economy. Are you driving an MT or AT? if driving AT, use the paddle shifters so that you shift earlier and thus use lower rpms.
3. Turn off the AC when stopped at a light and turn it back on when you start to go again
It's not necessarily best to brake as little as possible. Also, in the winter, if you can help it, don't turn on the defrost since that uses AC as well. There's also a way to turn on defrost without turning on the AC by putting the dial between defrost and bottom, and bottom.
4. If the light has a sensor, it is best to do a last minute brake when you get up to the light so you can trip the light as soon as possible. If there's a car in front of you, slow down first, to let the car in front of you trip the light instead. If the light has no sensor, slow down first. The name of the game is so that you don't stop at all for a light. Even a 5MPH roll will help you.
5. Take turns fast - this way you don't waste energy by slowing down and accelerating again. It's also lots more fun
6. Don't drive too fast on the highway - I found that anything over 70 MPH ruins the MPGs quickly
7. Take longer trips if possible, and avoid short ones. Your engine is much more efficient when warmed up.
8. Use Premium high quality gas, with detergents (chevron, or Shell). Premium gas allows the engine to use more low-end torque and thus won't need to rev as high, thus save gas. Contrary to what other ppl say, it DOES make a difference because your car has a sensor that knows what kind of gas it's using. If it detects premium gas, it will adjust accordingly. Also, the detergents help clean your engine so that it is more efficient. I've found that once in awhile, if I really rev the engine really high, it helps clean the engine and improve smoothness and fuel economy later.
9. Overinflate your tires by a few psi. Some ppl overinflate by over 10psi. But I think it's best to start with just a few because it does have an effect on handling and tire wear. Even just paying attention to your tire pressure and making sure it's correct makes a big difference.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
The Fit takes a little bit of getting used to for eco driving especially if you're coming from a bigger motor.

I recommend using the "Feel good meter" or whatever to train yourself what to do and what not to do. The numbers aren't important. Do whatever you can to keep the meter away from the low end. Do everything you can to get the meter to peg far right (injectors off or idling). You'll watch it for a while and it will become second nature.

At the end of the day it's an average. The less time you spend at the low end the higher your MPG will be. For instance, this means you don't necessarily need to creep to speed at a grandma's pace from a light short shifting, skipping gears and holding up traffic... accelerate normally or even briskly up to cruising speed and just sit there and cruise in 5th. BMW studied this and agrees FWIW lol. I don't ever try hard or drive like a grandma and I get 34-35 tank to tank with sporty tires.

Averages, averages.

Don't worry about premium gas, any money you're saving from better mileage is going back into the gas. The Fit can benefit from premium, but it doesn't make sense to run it to save money, which increasing fuel mileage's ultimate aim is I think. Either that or saving the Earth but yeah... You'll do fine with 87 if you're not putting huge load on the motor and just commuting from my experience.

OCTANE DEBATE GO!

no.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 06-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
The Fit takes a little bit of getting used to for eco driving especially if you're coming from a bigger motor.

I recommend using the "Feel good meter" or whatever to train yourself what to do and what not to do. The numbers aren't important. Do whatever you can to keep the meter away from the low end. Do everything you can to get the meter to peg far right (injectors off or idling). You'll watch it for a while and it will become second nature.

At the end of the day it's an average. The less time you spend at the low end the higher your MPG will be. For instance, this means you don't necessarily need to creep to speed at a grandma's pace from a light short shifting, skipping gears and holding up traffic... accelerate normally or even briskly up to cruising speed and just sit there and cruise in 5th. BMW studied this and agrees FWIW lol. I don't ever try hard or drive like a grandma and I get 34-35 tank to tank with sporty tires.

Averages, averages.

Don't worry about premium gas, any money you're saving from better mileage is going back into the gas. The Fit can benefit from premium, but it doesn't make sense to run it to save money, which increasing fuel mileage's ultimate aim is I think. Either that or saving the Earth but yeah... You'll do fine with 87 if you're not putting huge load on the motor and just commuting from my experience.

OCTANE DEBATE GO!

no.

Yah - premium probably won't save you money. But I run it just to get higher MPGs and to keep my engine clean, and slightly better performance, which in itself is something.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
mrflgrt BLAAAAT!!!!!

oh goddammit. It has no idea what kind of gas you put in it. It has a knock sensor. If the car knocks it retards ignition. You won't hear this as it takes milliseconds to adjust. The only measure of premium fuel is octane, aka anti-knock index. Not detergents. If you're lugging the engine it's prone to knocking. Honda didn't design their cheapest smallest economy car to need premium. The debate goes on about whether there is any performance gain. I've seen nothing published to support this, except in cars that NEEED higher anti-knock ratings. Usually these are forced induction, but some high end luxury cars also recommend the use of higher octane. Honda does not.

Last edited by Steve244; 06-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
mrflgrt BLAAAAT!!!!!
just don't man leave it alone.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
too late... sigh.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ydnality
Also some tips for getting higher mpgs.

1. Use synthetic oil ( I use mobil 1 0w20)
2. As other ppl said, accelerate slower. Anything over 3000 RPM will ruin your fuel economy. Are you driving an MT or AT? if driving AT, use the paddle shifters so that you shift earlier and thus use lower rpms.
3. Turn off the AC when stopped at a light and turn it back on when you start to go again
It's not necessarily best to brake as little as possible. Also, in the winter, if you can help it, don't turn on the defrost since that uses AC as well. There's also a way to turn on defrost without turning on the AC by putting the dial between defrost and bottom, and bottom.
4. If the light has a sensor, it is best to do a last minute brake when you get up to the light so you can trip the light as soon as possible. If there's a car in front of you, slow down first, to let the car in front of you trip the light instead. If the light has no sensor, slow down first. The name of the game is so that you don't stop at all for a light. Even a 5MPH roll will help you.
5. Take turns fast - this way you don't waste energy by slowing down and accelerating again. It's also lots more fun
6. Don't drive too fast on the highway - I found that anything over 70 MPH ruins the MPGs quickly
7. Take longer trips if possible, and avoid short ones. Your engine is much more efficient when warmed up.
8. Use Premium high quality gas, with detergents (chevron, or Shell). Premium gas allows the engine to use more low-end torque and thus won't need to rev as high, thus save gas. Contrary to what other ppl say, it DOES make a difference because your car has a sensor that knows what kind of gas it's using. If it detects premium gas, it will adjust accordingly. Also, the detergents help clean your engine so that it is more efficient. I've found that once in awhile, if I really rev the engine really high, it helps clean the engine and improve smoothness and fuel economy later.
9. Overinflate your tires by a few psi. Some ppl overinflate by over 10psi. But I think it's best to start with just a few because it does have an effect on handling and tire wear. Even just paying attention to your tire pressure and making sure it's correct makes a big difference.
Also:

Put it in Neutral to coast downhills and take out of drive at stoplights - AT

Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Also get out at stops and give it a shove, jumping back in. You break the surface tension present at rest and save a significant amount of energy.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Gerbils. Lots and lots of them. More gerbils = more mpg.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silentnoise713

Try this for giggles. In case you don’t know, resetting your trip odometer resets the calculated avg MPG. .
I have been trying to figure out ho to re-set the calculated mpg, but mine doesn't re-set when I re-set the trip odometer (2009 fit sport)

Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
That's it. If the trip odometer is zeroed the avg mpg should be bars for about a minute and then display the new current average.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
mrflgrt BLAAAAT!!!!!

oh goddammit. It has no idea what kind of gas you put in it. It has a knock sensor. If the car knocks it retards ignition. You won't hear this as it takes milliseconds to adjust. The only measure of premium fuel is octane, aka anti-knock index. Not detergents. If you're lugging the engine it's prone to knocking. Honda didn't design their cheapest smallest economy car to need premium. The debate goes on about whether there is any performance gain. I've seen nothing published to support this, except in cars that NEEED higher anti-knock ratings. Usually these are forced induction, but some high end luxury cars also recommend the use of higher octane. Honda does not.
I've tried this several times. Fill up with Premium. Find a very flat road where you can go a constant speed. Set cruise control to a cruising speed (I tried this at around 35 - 40 MPH in 5th gear). Measure the average MPG. Repeat with regular. Try to do this on days with similar weather and and when your car is properly warmed up.

You'll find that premium does make a difference. For 35-40 MPH, it might be at least a 5 MPG difference. At a 35-40 MPH cruising speed your fit should be getting very very high MPG's - easily in the 50's or 60's. The higher octane allows for the engine to use higher compression at very low RPMs.

There's also a noticeable difference in perceivable power at low RPMs.

Last edited by ydnality; 06-09-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
The power of positive thinking!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
What does affect your gas mileage?

See this re: premium gas, having the windows open etc from consumer reports

Myth busters: Consumer Reports takes on alleged gas-saving tips - CSMonitor.com

Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
I would have said windows down at highway speeds had a greater impact. Their tests were on a single car so I'm not sure that's conclusive. But I also used to sell aftermarket auto A/C (Sears) and one of the marketing tools stated fuel savings at highway speeds. I might have been affected.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
AC vs window open for gas mileage

it makes sense to me - it costs a lot (of energy) to cool the car using the gas as the source and I can't imagine it increases drag that much. Think about how much electricity you use when you have the AC on at home - that is all coming from gas in the car when you do it. I also can't imagine it is crazy different for different cars. but that is all speculation - the data they have is for one car going the speed they tested and data trumps "I guess" all the time, even when it is me guessing

I do bet it makes a big difference if you are going fast or slow, and sitting a lot for example in traffic, so I bet the MPG you lose in the city when the AC is on and you are stop and go (lower wind speed = lower drag) is much higher than what you would lose if you were sitting there with the windows open.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
My favorites:
Under lab conditions, it tested a Honda Accord along a test track at 65 mph. Using the air conditioning to keep the car cool impacted gas mileage by a shocking 3mpg.

Keeping the windows open on the other hand, affected gas mileage so little that it was impossible to measure.
We found a car whose open windows don't act as airbrakes. Nyah, nyah!

Consumer Reports advises that better tire maintenance and driver habits can easily make up the difference between an energy saving tire and a regular tire.
We found something that helps save gas. But since not driving like an asshole saves even more gas, we're going to call this one a myth.

Dwils- the GerbilDrive system has too many mechanical losses for real world benefits. Huskies do better, while doubling as an alarm system and eliminating the need for snow tires.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM
mee too!

Originally Posted by ichiro51
I have had my 2013 A/T Sport for 18 months. I have only gotten better than 31 mpg once. I live on Long Island and drive in mostly traffic with zillions of traffic lights. I usually average about 27 in the winter cold weather and 27 in the summer because of the air conditioner. I am convinced the only way you can get mid to high 30s is if you drive 50 mph on a flat road with no lights with the windows closed and the A/C off. And I drive conservatively.....I am always trying to maximize mpg by not racing to stop lights and slamming on the breaks. I accelerate slowly unless I really have to. Seems normal to me.
I live in Baldwin and have a TW base. I find that when I work weekends (no traffic in am) and reset mpg gauge, I can get 40 mpg. My commute is 25 mi. To Astoria. In stop and go highway traffic I usually get 29 mpg, but bet if I pumped up the tires a few psi, I would crack 30. The local driving kills the average mpg.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I also use premium, because really, its usually 9 freaking gallons. Its not gonna break the bank, and I have read that the L blocks react positively to higher octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Low MPG – should I bring my 2012 in, or is this normal?