2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

I just read that there is a recall for 09-14 Fit regarding the airbag. Below is the summary:
"SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY."

Now since the fix is not available until Fall 2016, can you call Honda and request for a temporary car to use while they haven't fix this recall on your Fit? I've read that there are 2 people that got killed due to this defective airbag.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by utsug
I just read that there is a recall for 09-14 Fit regarding the airbag. Below is the summary:
"SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY."

Now since the fix is not available until Fall 2016, can you call Honda and request for a temporary car to use while they haven't fix this recall on your Fit? I've read that there are 2 people that got killed due to this defective airbag.
Any suggestions?
Millions of cars are affected by this recall, from Hyundai, Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc... We are in a day and age where the individual auto manufacturers do not make every component for their brand. They outsource to one company who makes parts for all the brands. Takata just happens to be the major outsource to make airbags.

Auto dealers couldn't possibly make enough loaner cars for every car affected. Example, My 2005 Mustang GT is affected along with all the other S197's (2005 to 2009), and I'm since I'm on the Mustang forum, it too got flooded with these topics and questions.

You are correct, out of about 2 million cars, about 8 people died (last news report I heard).
Takata airbags linked to 8th death - Jun. 21, 2015

You'd have a better chance at winning Power Ball than getting killed by the air bag. And, it will not affect the value of the vehicles either.

I will continue to drive my Fit and pay no attention until it gets fixed, when the parts become available. I'm not even going to bother fixing the Mustang at all because it's a garage queen and I do all my own work on that car.

Last edited by paul_g; 02-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, I just registered my '16 LX at honda.owners.com and read a message from Honda about the airbag recalls in place. Specifically:

If your vehicle is affected by this recall, we encourage you to take immediate action to have it repaired. There is no cost for the repair. Should there be any wait for a replacement airbag inflator, our dealers are prepared to provide alternative transportation in the form of a loaner or rental vehicle, free of charge, until your own vehicle is repaired.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
I just checked (2/16) the VIN for my 09 sport on the Honda site and it said I have no open recalls.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Question

Originally Posted by RealTight
I just checked (2/16) the VIN for my 09 sport on the Honda site and it said I have no open recalls.
It's still 2/15/16 where I am, but when I checked it said no open recalls. The confusing part is it says to check AFTER 2/15/16, so I wasn't sure if that meant today (2/15/16) or tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Shows as an active recall on the Honda owner site under my vin as of 12pm PST

Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by sultanofslide
Shows as an active recall on the Honda owner site under my vin as of 12pm PST
Ugh. Mine is shown as needing a new airbag as well now, and parts not available until summer 2016.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Same here, part of the recall but no parts until later in 2016.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Good news! I called Honda corporate and my local dealer and I learned that they will provide complimentary transportation (another car) until the parts are available. The only "catch" is that you have to return the loaner car every 30 days to get a new one.

I'm down with that as long as the loaner doesn't smell like smoke.

The Honda Corporate number I called is: 1-888-234-2138 (US number).

Everyone go forth and grab your loaners!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
On top of putting the wrong date on my entry above (sorry), I checked again this afternoon and the Honda web site now shows my 09 sport IS on the recall list.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 AM
A woman in the Honda Fit Owners Group on Facebook was able to get a loaner from Honda . The dealership said no, but she called Honda Customer Service and they said they'd cover the cost. But it isn't automatic. You have to call and make your case.

Here's what I posted in the group:

Feb. 15th has passed, and you can find out with your VIN number at the below site if your 2009-2014 Honda Fit has a Takata airbag that's being recalled.

The Honda vehicles in the latest round of recalls include:
• 2007-2011 Honda CR-V
• 2007-2014 Honda Ridgeline
• 2009-2014 Honda Fit
• 2010-2014 Honda FCX Clarity
• 2010-2014 Honda Insight
• 2011-2015 Honda CR-Z

There have been prior recalls affecting 2001-2005 Honda Accords and Civics.

They fear that the airbags have a defect that could develop over many years especially in high humidity where in an accident the airbag inflator ruptures causing metal shards to fly into the occupants of the vehicle.

If your car is on the recall list, Honda will notify you within 60 days. The parts for the recall are not available until this summer. The priority will be recalled Honda's in high humidity areas of the U.S. The states are listed in the recall notice. Honda will notify you again when the parts are available. If you call Honda Customer Service and press your case, you will probably get a loaner until this summer but you have to call. It's not automatic.

There have been 100 injuries and 10 deaths worldwide blamed on the defect, but I believe mostly in the U.S. over the past 11 years in different makes and models but mostly Honda.

Last April, a woman in Louisiana in a 2005 Honda (Civic or Accord) was killed. The recall notice arrived at her home while she was in the hospital. She died four days after the crash. A man in South Carolina in a 2006 Ford Ranger in December was also killed. And a woman around 2012 in a 2005 Honda Accord was paralyzed in Florida and is suing Takata. The case is at trial in Florida now. An engineer testified that people at Takata fabricated test data to submit to Honda. Takata denies the allegation that it doctored data and insists its airbags are safe, but Honda announced that it dropped Takata as an airbag supplier in November.

Also some Accords have been recalled recently for defective Continental airbags that could deploy when there's no impact or could fail to deploy in a crash.

Ford, Volkswagen, Daimler Benz (Mercedes) and other carmakers have also announced recalling vehicles due to the Takata airbag issue. So if you have other vehicles, check them at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

But be aware that this database may not be immediately updated.

No 2015 or 2016 Honda Fits are believed to be part of the recall, but I checked the VIN for my 2016 just in case and there are no open recalls. It is unclear who made the airbag for my car.

Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Checked my VIN, now two of my three cars are under recall for the same issue...
My 2013 FIT & 2005 Mustang GT... My odds aren't so good. lol.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
Good news! I called Honda corporate and my local dealer and I learned that they will provide complimentary transportation (another car) until the parts are available. The only "catch" is that you have to return the loaner car every 30 days to get a new one.

I'm down with that as long as the loaner doesn't smell like smoke.

The Honda Corporate number I called is: 1-888-234-2138 (US number).

Everyone go forth and grab your loaners!
Hmmm I may have to give this a shot, but not sure I can not drive my Fit for months at a time until the parts show up "Summer 2016" like the Recall websites states.

Also I checked my VIN previously a week or two ago for my 2013 and the airbag did not populate, but I checked again today and it showed up. It states updated "Feb 16th, 2016". So I would check your VIN again if you did it previously just to ensure it didn't update for you.

This is exactly what it states. So indeed it does mention temporary alternate transportation as necessary. I suppose if you voice that you find it unsafe to drive they will give you alternate transportation until parts arrive, but as previously mentioned I'm not sure how I feel about leaving my Fit at the dealer for months on end until the parts arrive.

"THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN A N INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY1."

Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
cool, i wont own a GE by then.. lol someone else's problem now.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Looked it up just now. By 2010 Fit sport is part of this recall.

So i just go into Honda and tell them?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Easiest to call and see if they have parts so you can schedule an appointment. Unless you really like going there in person.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I was told the airbags won't be ready until summer by one rep at American Honda, late summer by another.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 AM
So for the people getting loaners, you really need to leave your car at Honda until summer or whenever the parts get in?

I'd really hate to have my car just sitting outside for months on end in the back of a dealership with access to anyone who works there. I've had bad experiences in the past with dealerships taking unnecessary "joy rides" in my vehicle. (Happened at Subaru with my STI)

Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
When I talked with my Honda Corporate case manager yesterday, he said that they would provide a loaner or a rental (through Enterprise or another rental agency) and that yes, my Fit would be stored at the dealer until whenever the parts arrive to do the airbag recall repair.

He said they would replace the loaner or rental every thirty days until my Fit was repaired.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Just spoke to honda of america. Im getting a loaner also until atleast June 2016. Im now waiting for the case manager to call me so i can get the loaner car.

I wouldnt mind driving a manual GK Fit as a loaner, doubt that'll happen though.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit