2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest tire news?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Latest tire news?

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm curious about up-to-date input on good tires for my '11 Base.
I had the Michelin Pilot Sports, but ended up getting two tires destroyed my road debris. Something that has never happened in my long driving life....
Currently have two more of those that I need to replace, and two other fairly new tires that I can keep on the car. I can't remember what they are....I'm at work and can't check.
Who's found some great tires for the Base? Rain traction, good mileage, and durability are important.
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
When my first Pilot Sport got a gouge in the side, I was able to replace it with another Pilot Sport. I was out of town, so I got lucky. When my second one blew because of road debris, I could only find my tire size at a Honda dealer, where I had to get a Toyo Versado Eco. Later, one of the Michelins was worn, so I got another Toyo. Now I have Toyo Versados on the front, and worn Michelin Pilot Sports on the back. Those need to be replaced soon. The Toyos have a T speed rating, and the Michelins have an H, so my two new tires need to be a T, or else I need to always keep the Toyos on the front. This is according to a tire dealer that I trust. I'm wondering what to get, and whether I should just get four new tires, like Avid Ascends, or something else.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 AM
Try to use the search function and you will see that Yokohama tires are a favorite choice.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtheo31
Try to use the search function and you will see that Yokohama tires are a favorite choice.
Among people with no interesting in driving, yes. After reading all the reviews on the Avid Ascend on here, I bought into the hype.

Now I know to not buy tires based on anything posted on this website.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Among people with no interesting in driving, yes. After reading all the reviews on the Avid Ascend on here, I bought into the hype.

Now I know to not buy tires based on anything posted on this website.
What did you get, and do they fit the Base?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
What did you get, and do they fit the Base?
I bought Avid Ascend as mentioned. I hate them and am happy to be flatspotting them right now.

No idea if they fit base, I have a Sport.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Cars with way more weight and power love the Michelins, Best life and durability out there,,
Was it the tire or the crude on the road?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have no idea what caused the first gouge, but the blowout was caused by a huge piece of metal of the highway----something that got blown my way by the car in front of me. I might go with the new Pilots....or the Avids....
It's weird that the Toyos have no reviews. They seem popular in Canada, but my tire shop had them here in NC.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Toyo is the the largest Semi Truck tire manufacturer in the world.
Their sport tires are pretty good, the Proxes line gets fair mileage and they
use(d) them on Spec Miata race cars for a long time..

I have had issues with their All terrain tires with them being hard to balance.
Had good luck with them overall.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Toyo is the the largest Semi Truck tire manufacturer in the world.
Their sport tires are pretty good, the Proxes line gets fair mileage and they
use(d) them on Spec Miata race cars for a long time..

I have had issues with their All terrain tires with them being hard to balance.
Had good luck with them overall.
The ones I have are Versado Eco.

Do the speed ratings---T and H, etc---indicate anything about sidewall strength? Seems like I read that somewhere.... The Versados are T, and the Pilot Sports are H.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
The letter is the speed rating the tire can take on a average road under I think 80% of its rated weight.

H is plenty for a street fit. Speed ratings tend to become marketing fodder.. A higher speed rated tire is NOT tougher, they are usually thinner to allow them to run cooler. Tire rack has a chart if I recall.

Years ago they had a issue with corvettes blowing tires when they did a burnout, the centrifugal force was peeling the tires off the rim. The tires were fine up to about 175 in normal drvingin but these idiots were spinning them 225+ in burnouts..

Old 04-18-2016, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
The letter is the speed rating the tire can take on a average road under I think 80% of its rated weight.

H is plenty for a street fit. Speed ratings tend to become marketing fodder.. A higher speed rated tire is NOT tougher, they are usually thinner to allow them to run cooler. Tire rack has a chart if I recall.

Years ago they had a issue with corvettes blowing tires when they did a burnout, the centrifugal force was peeling the tires off the rim. The tires were fine up to about 175 in normal drvingin but these idiots were spinning them 225+ in burnouts..
The Versados are T and the Pilots are H. So the Versados are a tougher tire, perhaps harder rubber? Therefore, Less rolling resistance but less responsive and possibly not as good in the rain and snow? Just thinking out loud here, trying to decide if I should just get two more Versados when my Fit's back on the road again. The two I have are in good shape.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM
I had Dunlop 175/65/15 on my base fit and i got great gas mileage and they lasted me for 65k untill I changed them and at that point they were still at 50%. I do a ton of driving on my 2013, went to denver in a snow storm, storms here in a az and a lot of cali driving. I highly recommend them. I wish I knew which model they were but thats the best I got lol

Old 04-19-2016, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
I had Dunlop 175/65/15 on my base fit and i got great gas mileage and they lasted me for 65k untill I changed them and at that point they were still at 50%. I do a ton of driving on my 2013, went to denver in a snow storm, storms here in a az and a lot of cali driving. I highly recommend them. I wish I knew which model they were but thats the best I got lol
They must not have been the originals? My originals didn't last nearly that long! Maybe they used better tires on the 2013s?

What do you have on your Fit now?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Also consider Pirelli

Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm curious about up-to-date input on good tires for my '11 Base.
I had the Michelin Pilot Sports, but ended up getting two tires destroyed my road debris. Something that has never happened in my long driving life....
Currently have two more of those that I need to replace, and two other fairly new tires that I can keep on the car. I can't remember what they are....I'm at work and can't check.
Who's found some great tires for the Base? Rain traction, good mileage, and durability are important.
Thanks!
We've been happy with Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. Size 185/60-15, since they're not made in the exact OEM size. Good dry and wet grip, seem to be lasting a long time, and mileage is better than the OEM Dunlops once they've been through a few heat cycles.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
We've been happy with Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. Size 185/60-15, since they're not made in the exact OEM size. Good dry and wet grip, seem to be lasting a long time, and mileage is better than the OEM Dunlops once they've been through a few heat cycles.
With that size, how are the odometer and speedometer affected? What about handling? Does anything need to be done to the wheel to put on that size tire? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW - 185/60-15 is the stock size on my 07 sport.. According to the door sticker..

Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
There's a very slight difference in diameter; 60mph on the original size tires is 59.5 mph on 185/60s. Not really enough to matter; that's probably within the variation you'd find in tires of allegedly the same size offered by different makers.

They fit and work perfectly on the OEM rims, and handling is fine too. Both of our cars are wearing them without any problems.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW - 185/60-15 is the stock size on my 07 sport.. According to the door sticker..
No it isn't.

Stock for an 07/08 Sport is 195/55/15.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
I just finished 5 years on a set of Michelin Energy E3A (summer tires). 70,000 miles and they still had 3/32 left.

I pulled the trigger on a new set of Michelin Energy Savers for about $500 installed:

These are a newer design.

They are a lot less noisy than the E3As. Could be that they're new, but I don't remember being impressed with the prior set's noise level.

Both the E3As and these are "summer" tires. I guess whatever compound they use has less traction on ice than the all-season tires. I never had a traction issue with the last set through ice storms in GA.

The ride is smoother than the previous set too.

Yeah they're more expensive than a lot of tires, but I've never had any drama from a set of Michelins on any car I've had. The best current price seems to be at Sears online.

In other news the alignment from 5 years ago was still good on the Fit. Sears wouldn't even charge me when they saw it was within spec.

Attached Thumbnails Latest tire news?-80-michelin_engergy_saver_apr_2016_ffa5896a3d8ea25c199490330240303577d29dd8.jpg  

Last edited by Steve244; 04-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Latest tire news?