2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

my stupidity (leads to k24 swap)

Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 AM
my stupidity (leads to k24 swap)

first post LOL. I ran sprintex SC + injectors+ blown engine... blown as in i flogged the crap out of my sprintex L15A7 until its destroyed. engine done. time to swap out the L15A for a K24. Concept racing is gonna swap my engine and convert my AT fit to a 6 spd MT. not cheap.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Im a long time reader never botherer to post with my Sprintex,.. now i share my opinion: you guys are way too negative about the costs of a swap.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:54 AM
seems to me the idea of swapping gets shot donw immediateltly cause of fools with no money.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 AM
i got some sprintex pics but my host fails.. im old i guess.. where should/could i put my pics to share?

Last edited by jbrew; 04-22-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:42 AM
Hi everyone i am new to this forum.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
seems to me the idea of swapping gets shot donw immediateltly cause of fools with no money.
So out the door what's the swap costing?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
What specifically with the supercharger caused the engine to blow?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
What specifically with the supercharger caused the engine to blow?
The fleshy bit operating it being a dunce.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The fleshy bit operating it being a dunce.
Yeah pretty much. Trying to go from fifth injector + SMT8L to RDX injectors + KTuner didnt go as planned and I wound up being forced to drive it a bit with no proper tune(I drove it as lightly as possible) I believe the pistons started cratering at that point, and were finished off while completing the etune. As it sits, itl start but only runs on 3 cyls and puts out a ton of gas fumes.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
So out the door what's the swap costing?
about 10k + letting the shop keep the sprintex

Old 04-22-2016, 05:14 PM
So basically the value of the car..

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah pretty much. Trying to go from fifth injector + SMT8L to RDX injectors + KTuner didnt go as planned and I wound up being forced to drive it a bit with no proper tune(I drove it as lightly as possible) I believe the pistons started cratering at that point, and were finished off while completing the etune. As it sits, itl start but only runs on 3 cyls and puts out a ton of gas fumes.
Do you think this is caused by the tuner that doing the etune for you?
or a failed RDX Injectors?
do you buy the RDX Injectors new, is it OEM Honda RDX injector?
when you say didn't go as planned, what do you mean by that?
please clarify?

I am in the process of installing my Sprintex with RDX Injector too but going to use AEM F/IC-6 with Boomslang Wiring Harness.

oh, two last question, how many miles do you drive your car with SMT8L and thus it run normally at that time?
and how many miles do you drive your car with the etune before it blow your engine?

Thanks

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 04-23-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Do you think this is caused by the tuner that doing the etune for you?
or a failed RDX Injectors?
do you buy the RDX Injectors new, is it OEM Honda RDX injector?
when you say didn't go as planned, what do you mean by that?
please clarify?

I am in the process of installing my Sprintex with RDX Injector too but going to use AEM F/IC-6 with Boomslang Wiring Harness.

oh, two last question, how many miles do you drive your car with SMT8L and thus it run normally at that time?
and how many miles do you drive your car with the etune before it blow your engine?

Thanks
Bad /non OEM Injectors is a possibility.. I got them new off alibaba for like $65 for 4. they claimed it was original OEM but came in plain packaging. They looked like real Denso injectors to me FWIW.

Ran it on SMT8L for about 1-2k with limp mode happening often enough to piss me off. when it wasn't limping, it ran great.

The first shop I worked with had never used KTuner before, and had issues making fuel corrections. They reached out to Ktuner, got some answers, but for whatever reason still couldn't complete the tune for me-Injector sizing was the only parameter that would not reset. (This being right after removing SMT8L, swapping injectors & pump) So I'm forced to drive it about 40 miles with stock ecu/tune at this point. Even tho i keep the revs below 3k and never go past 1/3 throttle, Im guessing that this is probably the beginning of the end for my poor L15.

Enter Turbogixxer - who should have done my tuning from the start. we begin the eTune process and I can see an improvement in the way it runs with each new file he sends me. by the 4th file Im growing confident and really flogging the car. Then, piston holed(I think). Nothing spectacular happened... no explosions or fireballs or even a smoke cloud. Just limp mode and 3 cyl car.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
^ with all the blown spark plugs I hear about, are you sure you did not blow one?

Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
about 10k + letting the shop keep the sprintex
EFF THAT! How much for the Sprintex? I might be able to rig something up and use it.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:59 PM
i havent torn into it to check plugs.. that would be awesome if it turned out to be so simple! ill do that this weekend... I did also forget to mention i went to colder plugs early on as well.... i wish i could get my hands on a scope cam to peek inside the cylinders when i pull the plugs...

i could sell the sprintex + ktuner for 2k if anyone is interested

Edit: found a General Tool DCS050 fiber optic cam for 40$ on amazon... could be a big savings if i find cylinder intact! ill post a peek inside my cylinders this weekend

Last edited by jbrew; 04-26-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
doubt you blew a hole in a piston, more then likely you broke a ring land by running lean.

$10k on a k swap is just insane.

Why not order up 2016 turbo civic type r pistons and rods and put that in your l15a7? Would be much cheaper and you could put down 280hp by my estimations.

Chinese injectors is some very risky business and hopefully the lesson was learned.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
doubt you blew a hole in a piston, more then likely you broke a ring land by running lean.

$10k on a k swap is just insane.

Why not order up 2016 turbo civic type r pistons and rods and put that in your l15a7? Would be much cheaper and you could put down 280hp by my estimations.

Chinese injectors is some very risky business and hopefully the lesson was learned.
Civic type R has a much bigger bore... those pistons would never work. not sure how your estimating power with pistons far too large to "fit"

otherwise, I did explore the option of getting JE Pistons, Crower rods, sleeves, etc for what some folks call a "Stage 3" engine build on the L15.... it could be done, but not as much money saved as you would think. and then Ive still got the stock AT that will probably pop above 200HP.

Going with a swap gets me the Tremec 6spd MT from a TSX that can handle plenty of power

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
CIVIC SEDAN : PISTON SET | 2016 Honda OEM Parts @ Honda Parts Cheap

These are the civic turbo pistons. Me saying type r was not correct since the type r comes with a k series variant.

The new turbo civic comes equipped with an l15b7 motor.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
i could sell the sprintex + ktuner for 2k if anyone is interested
how much without ktuner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my stupidity (leads to k24 swap)