2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Thumping noise in low gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thumping noise in low gear

Hey, my 08 fit sport is acting weird. Its an automatic and when I would be in a dead stop and try to take off the car would make like a thumping noise that sounded and felt like it was coming from the left front wheel axel. Like maybe the transmission was trying to connect. The car would still move but just make this thumping galloping noise. I noticed when I would hold the brake down and gas it, it would like make the noise but kind of lock up if that sounds right? I thought something was stuck in my axel but couldn't see. It went away and came back. It only happens if I take off kinda off fast. If I slowly take off from a dead stop I can get by. Now it's starting to happen in 2nd gear as well if I'm trying to get speed on a freeway onramp. Not sure if this related but if I go over speed bumps, the front axel makes a thumping sound every time, and when I turn sometimes it makes that knocking sound as well. I think it might be a transmission problem but I'm looking for more insight. Thanks.

Last edited by tomsandoval; 07-22-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
CV (Constant Velocity) Joint maybe? Just guessin' here. Does the sound change as you turn the wheel while accelerating slowly around a corner? Good news is that if it is a CV Joint, it is not an expensive repair and most any garage can do it.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Sound isn't heard as much when turning the wheel, when turning sounds like a crank being rotated but one time it was making that thumping noise like loud and hard and my wheel got locked for a moment. I was driving yesterday and it sometimes sounds like a low grinding/dragging an ice chest over gravel sound