Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/94757-ge8-clutch-flywheel-recommendations.html)

yovtecjustkickedin 12-08-2016 10:16 PM

GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations?

Hello All,
Approaching 100k on Fit and figure will need these in a while. Any recommendations?
Best,
Yo

555sexydrive 12-09-2016 12:12 AM

A stock flywheel lightened/balanced. If there are any for the GE, they are most likely too light and not fully balanced and this messes with the harmonics and throws a CEL. Even JUN here in Japan had a flywheel on offer, but quickly pulled it as it was causing CELs. A bit worrisome really that they didn't pair it with a clutch and balance the 2 together, though I'm not sure how much weight they tried to shave and it may have also been too light even if it was actually balanced with a clutch; they weren't offering a set originally and really no 2 clutches are the same so no way it could have been balanced.

Now on my 2nd SPEC clutch, 1st one was still quite usable, but when I had the mission swapped to a 6MT, just went all new to include the above setup. Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. Flywheel lost I want to say about 1kg overall from stock, have not thrown a CEL once since it has been in use.

Steven Hung 12-25-2016 01:02 PM

What is your stock flywheel weight? I dropped my tranny this morning to install a Clutch Master fx350 clutch. My stock flywheel weight in at about 14.5 lbs on a bathroom scale. ~14.5 lbs or even 15 lbs is light for a factory flywheel. I was expecting the factory flywheel to weight around 16 lb to 18 lbs. It would have given me an excuse to send out the flywheel for lightening and balancing.

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive (Post 1359841)
A stock flywheel lightened/balanced. If there are any for the GE, they are most likely too light and not fully balanced and this messes with the harmonics and throws a CEL. Even JUN here in Japan had a flywheel on offer, but quickly pulled it as it was causing CELs. A bit worrisome really that they didn't pair it with a clutch and balance the 2 together, though I'm not sure how much weight they tried to shave and it may have also been too light even if it was actually balanced with a clutch; they weren't offering a set originally and really no 2 clutches are the same so no way it could have been balanced.

Now on my 2nd SPEC clutch, 1st one was still quite usable, but when I had the mission swapped to a 6MT, just went all new to include the above setup. Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. Flywheel lost I want to say about 1kg overall from stock, have not thrown a CEL once since it has been in use.

arrow_runner 12-28-2016 09:42 AM

I ordered a lightweight flywheel and clutch from Clutch Masters. I'm hoping to have it installed by the end of January if ktuner is able to implement the 'disable misfire detection' feature. He's currently working on a new product so it's dependent on him getting that done first.

555sexydrive 12-28-2016 11:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Steven Hung (Post 1360792)
What is your stock flywheel weight? I dropped my tranny this morning to install a Clutch Master fx350 clutch. My stock flywheel weight in at about 14.5 lbs on a bathroom scale. ~14.5 lbs or even 15 lbs is light for a factory flywheel. I was expecting the factory flywheel to weight around 16 lb to 18 lbs. It would have given me an excuse to send out the flywheel for lightening and balancing.

The lightened stock flywheel lost just over 1kg (2.4lbs). Lightened flywheel wheel works if the unit is balanced with the clutch. That is what is needed for it to not throw a CEL.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/atta...ine=1482985755
Stock flywheel

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/atta...ine=1482985755
Lightened by Carlquist Racing

Steven Hung 12-29-2016 12:41 PM

I didn’t see any clutch pressure plate, sprung hub and flywheel combo from Clutch Masters when I ordered the FX350 during this past Cyber Monday sale. Which aluminum flywheel did you ordered from Clutch Masters? I am not looking to replace the stock flywheel anytime soon. Just curious which one your brought. Last night I installed the pilot bearing, the flywheel and the clutch. If I have time tonight I will mate the tranny to the engine.

Originally Posted by arrow_runner (Post 1360910)
I ordered a lightweight flywheel and clutch from Clutch Masters. I'm hoping to have it installed by the end of January if ktuner is able to implement the 'disable misfire detection' feature. He's currently working on a new product so it's dependent on him getting that done first.

De36 01-16-2017 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive (Post 1359841)
...Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. ...

Wow that member must be a real swell guy, handsome, and humble to ship that from USA to JPN for you. :thumbups: