2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations?

Hello All,
Approaching 100k on Fit and figure will need these in a while. Any recommendations?
Best,
Yo

Old 12-09-2016, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
A stock flywheel lightened/balanced. If there are any for the GE, they are most likely too light and not fully balanced and this messes with the harmonics and throws a CEL. Even JUN here in Japan had a flywheel on offer, but quickly pulled it as it was causing CELs. A bit worrisome really that they didn't pair it with a clutch and balance the 2 together, though I'm not sure how much weight they tried to shave and it may have also been too light even if it was actually balanced with a clutch; they weren't offering a set originally and really no 2 clutches are the same so no way it could have been balanced.

Now on my 2nd SPEC clutch, 1st one was still quite usable, but when I had the mission swapped to a 6MT, just went all new to include the above setup. Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. Flywheel lost I want to say about 1kg overall from stock, have not thrown a CEL once since it has been in use.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
What is your stock flywheel weight? I dropped my tranny this morning to install a Clutch Master fx350 clutch. My stock flywheel weight in at about 14.5 lbs on a bathroom scale. ~14.5 lbs or even 15 lbs is light for a factory flywheel. I was expecting the factory flywheel to weight around 16 lb to 18 lbs. It would have given me an excuse to send out the flywheel for lightening and balancing.

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
A stock flywheel lightened/balanced. If there are any for the GE, they are most likely too light and not fully balanced and this messes with the harmonics and throws a CEL. Even JUN here in Japan had a flywheel on offer, but quickly pulled it as it was causing CELs. A bit worrisome really that they didn't pair it with a clutch and balance the 2 together, though I'm not sure how much weight they tried to shave and it may have also been too light even if it was actually balanced with a clutch; they weren't offering a set originally and really no 2 clutches are the same so no way it could have been balanced.

Now on my 2nd SPEC clutch, 1st one was still quite usable, but when I had the mission swapped to a 6MT, just went all new to include the above setup. Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. Flywheel lost I want to say about 1kg overall from stock, have not thrown a CEL once since it has been in use.

Last edited by Steven Hung; 12-28-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:42 AM
I ordered a lightweight flywheel and clutch from Clutch Masters. I'm hoping to have it installed by the end of January if ktuner is able to implement the 'disable misfire detection' feature. He's currently working on a new product so it's dependent on him getting that done first.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steven Hung
What is your stock flywheel weight? I dropped my tranny this morning to install a Clutch Master fx350 clutch. My stock flywheel weight in at about 14.5 lbs on a bathroom scale. ~14.5 lbs or even 15 lbs is light for a factory flywheel. I was expecting the factory flywheel to weight around 16 lb to 18 lbs. It would have given me an excuse to send out the flywheel for lightening and balancing.
The lightened stock flywheel lost just over 1kg (2.4lbs). Lightened flywheel wheel works if the unit is balanced with the clutch. That is what is needed for it to not throw a CEL.

Stock flywheel

Lightened by Carlquist Racing

Attached Thumbnails GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations?-stock_flywheel_zpsyejtxc3h.jpg   GE8 Clutch and flywheel recommendations?-stock_lightened_zpsny9uzekk.jpg  

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 12-28-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
I didn’t see any clutch pressure plate, sprung hub and flywheel combo from Clutch Masters when I ordered the FX350 during this past Cyber Monday sale. Which aluminum flywheel did you ordered from Clutch Masters? I am not looking to replace the stock flywheel anytime soon. Just curious which one your brought. Last night I installed the pilot bearing, the flywheel and the clutch. If I have time tonight I will mate the tranny to the engine.

Originally Posted by arrow_runner
I ordered a lightweight flywheel and clutch from Clutch Masters. I'm hoping to have it installed by the end of January if ktuner is able to implement the 'disable misfire detection' feature. He's currently working on a new product so it's dependent on him getting that done first.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
...Thankfully a member here lent a hand delivering the flywheel and clutch to the shop to have it fully balanced and lightened and then sent them my way here in Japan. ...
Wow that member must be a real swell guy, handsome, and humble to ship that from USA to JPN for you.