2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Fit owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
New Fit owner

Hello I just purchased a 2010 Fit sport auto with 17k miles on it. I will pick it up in a few hours. I'm looking forward to talking with you all.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
You don't need to have a Fit to talk to us!

Last edited by hogwylde; 01-01-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Thumbs up Awesome!

That's pretty lo-mileage for a 6 year old car. Hope you got a good price. Welcome to FitFreakdom.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
Ward1: What part of the world will this 2010 FIT be from and where will it now reside? I'm in the "rusty" east coast. Just wondering if it is southeast, south, or the west coast.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Ward1: What part of the world will this 2010 FIT be from and where will it now reside? I'm in the "rusty" east coast. Just wondering if it is southeast, south, or the west coast.

I live south of Pittsburgh. I've lost a lot of cars to rust over the years. This one has a little rust proofing sticker on the window from the previous owner so I'm curious.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I'm near Hershey, PA. Since it gets colder at your end of the state, pay attention to your battery. I've already changed mine and it still seems weak on a cold morning.

BTW, I don't see any rust issues on my 2011 Sport / 61K miles.

Best of luck,

Old 12-31-2016, 03:42 PM
New owner too!

Recently purchased 2012 honda fit AT with 22k miles In las vegas. Anything I should be looking at maintenance wise? In the near future

Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slowbro13
Recently purchased 2012 honda fit AT with 22k miles In las vegas. Anything I should be looking at maintenance wise? In the near future
I have a '13 at 42k and haven't need to do much maintenance yet. I have changed the brake pads and brake fluid but that was more to do with performance.

The only thing I would really keep an eye on is the UV coating on the headlights. Assuming they have already started to flake the GE8 headlights are notorious for peeling. I use meguiars spray on wax and it has done great for my drivers side, but passenger is spreading like a slow cancer.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't posted on here for a very long time so thought I would.. Love my '09 Sport Taffeta white manual! 89,000 mi. Has been so reliable with little maintenance. Original brakes. Had the manual transmission fluid changed at 50k at the recom of a dealer. Do I need to be doing that again? What about the original coolant, should I have it flushed and replaced? My head lights are not peeling. Bought it brand new on July 31st '09 under the only good thing Obama ever did for me, personally: Cash for Clunkers. Lol. With sales tax it was $13,054 out the door. The only four upgrades I made early on were to go to beautiful 17" Momo wheels, powder coating them white (Tire size 215/45R 17. I love how the offset on these wider rims pushed the tires out a bit, making them more flush with the fenders, giving the car a more aggressive look, IMO. My mpg suffered a bit but I'm still very okay with it), to have a sunroof installed, to have the windows darkly tinted, and to self install a frame mounted receiver, allowing me to carry a rear cargo tray when needed for additional hauling capacity. Due to the fold flat rear seats, I camp out in my car at times, calling it FitRV. It is way better than tent camping! Having this rear tray gives me the room inside for sleeping in the back. I actually lay the front passenger seat down and use foam pads with my legs draped over the reclined seat back, allowing me to stretch out fully. Sleeping in FitRV is every bit as comfortable as sleeping in my own bed! When I get cold, I just warm the car for 45 minutes or so. Hope to keep it many more years though every once in awhile I have this tinge of wanting a different vehicle due soley to feeling vulnerable driving it on this big city's freeways when its so small and light. Would only want another manual. Possibilities I have thought of with a manual in a heavier vehicle have been of very few choices: a Camaro (not utilitarian at all like my Fit), or a big solid truck. Manuals are so rare in trucks these days! How about the only way to get a manual in a Dodge Ram is going with a Diesel 2500 or 3500 at huge money! NOT! I have decided to stay with this beautiful little car and remain vigilintly cautious on busy highways, asking for my Creator's continued protection! Hope ya all are loving yours as much as I do mine! I really am blessed to have it!

Last edited by twicebit; 01-05-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 01-02-2017, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
I'd recommend changing coolant every 3-4 years. It is one of the most delicate systems in any vehicle. All sorts of bad chemistry can happen in there during the multiple daily heating / cooling cycles in a system filled with dis-similar metals. Junk could build up and clog the radiator and overheating could then warp something. If in a cold climate, it could freeze and crack something. The coolant's "protective" properties don't last forever. New / Proper coolant costs nothing compare to a warped head / leaking head gasket / new radiator.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I'd recommend changing coolant every 3-4 years. It is one of the most delicate systems in any vehicle. All sorts of bad chemistry can happen in there during the multiple daily heating / cooling cycles in a system filled with dis-similar metals. Junk could build up and clog the radiator and overheating could then warp something. If in a cold climate, it could freeze and crack something. The coolant's "protective" properties don't last forever. New / Proper coolant costs nothing compare to a warped head / leaking head gasket / new radiator.
Thank you, I'll get that coolant flushed... Its been in there twice as long as it should have been!

Old 01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Does anyone have a trick to get more driver's seat legroom? I'm only 5'11" and my right leg is too arched pressing the pedals. I'd like to stretch out my legs some. I have the seat all the way back.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Ward1: You must have bought the small version. The large version is just right for me at 6'2". Can't take it back now.

The one thing I did was take a piece of split foam pipe insulation to cover the edge of the try in the consul. That protects my leg from the tray's edge making it more comfortable.