2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cold morning issues.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Cold morning issues.

Hey everyone. I by no means consider myself a car person that's why I came here. I've bee running into an issue lately with my 08 fit sport. During mornings when it's cold after my car starts up there us a harsh siezing/grinding sound that happens for about 1-2 seconds. This only recently started happening now that it's cold outside. Id say it's roughly around 35°F during these times. I'm planning on taking it over to a mechanic but trying to advert from paying a fortune. It's hard to trust people nowadays especially since I have no clue about cars I have to take ones word for it. Any answers may help. Thank you all.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Two thoughts...

1. My best guess is that the noise is timing chain related. Possibly the tensioner is not maintaining proper tension.
2. Are you using the factory Honda oil filter? It's anti-drain back valve helps keep the oil system pressurized.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure what oil filter was used prior to my oil change but I know the noise happened prior to me getting a new one aswell. That being said I don't believe the oil filter is stock.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it, but I'd recommend trying an OEM filter with a quality 5w20 or 5w30 oil.

Just another thought on the noise...could be the starter sticking for a second after the car has fired.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
It's a known issue. Not just with Fits. Lots of info here.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 AM
I actually have a video of the noise I took this morning. I'm currently at work. I'll be able to post it here later. Thank you guys for the assistance though. I'll be back later.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I don't believe it's a known issue for GD's. I believe the OP put this in the wrong forum as the '08 USDM Fit is a first gen GD model.

GK owners all complain of the sound from the VTC actuator.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Here is the noise. I apologize for posting in the wrong forum I'm all new to this. My apologies.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
No apology necessary! It gets confusing with the GE listed as '08-13. That's outside the US. US was '09-13 for the GE.

I don't quite hear the sound coming through in the video, but my best guess is still cam chain tension related. I'd give it an oil change with an OEM filter and appropriate oil and see if there's any improvement.

Smell any fuel on start up? Any slight stumble at idle? Those can be signs of a loose spark plug.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 PM
I realize it is rather hard to hear. Being by myself it's hard to capture the sound from inside the car. I've never experienced smelling fuel or slight rumbling when idle. The idle seems rather normal. Any thoughts of it possibly being a starter relay issue? I recently just did an oil change and oil filter change less than 1500 miles ago.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:29 PM
This sound also doesn't happen on ever signle startup which is weird. Some cold mornings it starts fine other cold mornings it does that siezing/ what sounds like grinding sound. If it doesn't happen it's usually in the mornings.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM
If anyone happens to still be here. Heres a second video i took, in this video you can hear the sound a bit more clear.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. That does sound a bit starter related. It also sounds like your battery may be a little weak. Do you have a battery tender/charger? I'd be curious to see if it makes the sound with a fresh fully charged battery.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM
I do believe my brother has a battery charger ill have to give that a try and see. The thing that just really puzzles me is this issue isnt very consistent. It doesnt happen on every startup and it doesnt happen every cold morning. Ill definitely give that a try though. I have a buddy who is a cary guy, he mentioned it could possibly be a starter relay, any chance thats a possibility. Do honda fits have a starter relay? I know i sound so clueless, this is my best attempt to learn. I appreciate it alot GAFIT.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully someone else will chime in because I'm not an expert.

To the best of my knowledge, there is just the starter switch (solenoid) that is part of the starter and not available separately. I think it gets replaced as an entire starter assembly.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM
No need to be an expert you are helping me more than i could have asked! My other question for you would be this. Say it was a starter issue would it happen more frequent then this?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
No, it could be a part that is partially failing or sounds worse when it's cold and receiving fewer cranking amps from the battery.

Starter noise can also be from when it engages the flexplate/flywheel. The flexplate (auto) or flywheel (manual) can have a defect or missing/chipped teeth and the noise only happens when the starter catches the bad spot.

Keep in mind also that these batteries are tiny. On a cold morning they don't have a lot of reserve and can cause problems when they get older/weaker.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Definitely noted. I appreciate the help my man. Going to do something self evaluation aswell. Thank you for teaching me a few things. I appreciate it alot.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'd almost think it is the starter / solenoid not pushing the gear completely out to fully engage the flywheel.

I agree that a weaker battery / corroded battery cable connection could effect starting but your starter seems strong when energized, so I would vote for a bad solenoid that isn't forcing the starting gear out the whole way to fully engage the flywheel.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Definitely noted. I check my battery today with a multimeter and its all good. No corrosion around the battery. WIth all the help and info ive gained id second the fact it probably is the solenoid. Ill have to take it somewhere and get her fixed up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold morning issues.