2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Winter Tires Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit09Pete
I agree...ordered the same from tire rack and shipped to the house...just finished pulling my stock Fit Sport wheels and tires and bolted up the 14 inch steelies with Michelin Xi3s already balanced...even with dropping from 16” to 14” the tall sidewalk of the winter package is slightly taller than stock. They fit great and I’m ready for the winter. Very pleased with the setup fwiw
As an added bonus I did not order the tpms with the winter set and was expecting to have the dash light on all winter...no warning light flashing..wonder if they included tpms anyway or ??

Old 12-20-2017, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
no warning light flashing..wonder if they included tpms anyway or ??
Even if Tire Rack or others included the proper TPMS sensors, your car's computer would have to be programmed with the new ID# per sensor (by humans using a tool plugged into the OBDII socket under the dash). The FIT can't reprogram itself.

Odd that it didn't alert you that there is a TPMS problem.

Here's the tire comparison:

Old 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
As an added bonus I did not order the tpms with the winter set and was expecting to have the dash light on all winter...no warning light flashing..wonder if they included tpms anyway or ??
It will come on after it has lost communication for more miles. I'm not sure the exact number, but it will eventually come on. Unless...

I keep the stock wheels/tires stacked in the garage by our Fit and the light never comes on as long as I come back home every 20 miles or so for the ECU to read the sensors.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Proper Fit
Here is the winter setup I have:

Michelin XI3 185/70-14s on BMW steel wheels.

I LOVE these tires!

I am a courier that drives all over southern New England and New York delivering medical supplies to people in need. I need to get where I'm going no matter the weather.

Advantages to this setup are: 14 inch tires are cheaper than 15 or 16 inch tires; and BMW steelies have a shallower offset, so you get a wider track. This helps in stability while driving and tends to throw more snow and slush out, away from the car, rather than piling up in the wheel wells.
When you say cheaper, by really how much? Maybe $4-5 per tire at most from 15" wheels? I just paid $66 per tire shipped for General Altimax Arctic 12 in a 195/60/16 from Discount Tire Direct.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
It will come on after it has lost communication for more miles. I'm not sure the exact number, but it will eventually come on. Unless...

I keep the stock wheels/tires stacked in the garage by our Fit and the light never comes on as long as I come back home every 20 miles or so for the ECU to read the sensors.
Gafit was right...the tpms light came on after 24 hours...oh well I can live with it and love the winter tire set up

Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Man survived for many years without TPMS. Just have to go old school where you give a quick look over before driving and physically check pressure once in a while.

All these nannies make people dumber IMHO.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Quick look? Hard to tell when a radial is low on pressure. Man survived for years without antibiotics too, but we welcome those things.

Plenty of very smart people don't check their tire pressure until they get a flat. TPMS is a great idea.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tmps is fine if it keeps the dumb and or selfish ignorant people from blowing tires and crashing into me.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Would you be shocked to discover that most people, including some very smart ones, fit into your category of dumb or selfish ignorant?

By the way, they don't just crash into you. They crash into other people and block traffic. They stop in the middle of the street and block traffic. They increase your insurance rates. They are late to work and that affects you too.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
you seem to take offense with that category..

Old 12-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Yes. I check my tire pressure and oil every three weeks but not everybody does. Few people do. You seem to have an attitude towards everyone who doesn't check their tires on a regular basis.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
i have issues with people who don't take responsibility for safety. that is why tpms is good to have. at least it brings awareness that something is wrong and need to do something about that light.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Agreed. Most people don't pay attention to a zillion things that matter and we all suffer the consequences.

Nobody's perfect.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
A "Can of Worms" is getting opened up: wear seat belts, wear a motorcycle helmet, don't eat fried food, no cigs, safe sex, no alcohol, military service or not, not exercising, ACA's personal mandate for health insurance, live in hurricane alley, and the list goes on. Everything we do / don't do impacts everyone else all of the time one way or another. You might not see a direct connection to a particular person but, in general, we are all interconnected and there's no way around it.

The point to the rant is, I think we all fail to take complete responsibility for something that can / does go wrong today, tomorrow, next year, that negatively impacts others. You should prepare, stay aware, anticipate, avoid what you can and for all else that happens, I guess that's what is insurance is about.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i know your post is just an example but think of it this way..

insurance does no good if your loved one was murdered by a selfish ignorant dumbarse not checking their psi resulting in a blowout and smashing into oncoming traffic.

yes shit happens but some are preventable and avoidable. thus tpms and nannies are good to have. at least we tried.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
We are talking about using / no using TPMS but when I was in Baltimore this morning, I can assure you there are many things to fear out there on the roads.

Anyway, be safe. I keep my TPMS working on the '11 Sport with 205/50-16 on 16x7 wheels. Pain in the butt. Run them at 29 psi (f/r) and the TPMS goes off at 27 psi. I think that a 5 deg F swing changes it 1 psi. Going into fall / early winter always sets low pressure alarm off.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
i see.. kinda lost u with all the decorations in ur post.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
tmps is fine if it keeps the dumb and or selfish ignorant people from blowing tires and crashing into me.
This is true, but the odds are much better for being crashed into by some bozo diddling their phone while they drive. Most all cars on the road have a TPMS system yet you will still see folks running on tires that are dangerously low on air. Put in all the nannies you want & it won't help some people. You can't fix stupid.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
this is also very true. better cars these days have auto emergency braking for collision prevention so i guess in some cases such nanny can help.

anyway, even if there is no active tpms on the car, as long as the driver is checking the psi via tire pressure gauge routinely (at least once a month minimum) and looking over the tires before a drive as GAFIT mentioned, should be fine.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Earlier this week I was driving home. Because of traffic I got off the highway one exit early. Just as I got off the highway my flat tire light went on. I was able to pull over onto a local street.

One tire looked low. I tested it- it was 20 psi. There was a nail in it. I hadn't felt anything different. It was fortunate I happened to get off the highway where I did because otherwise I'd have had to drive on it for a couple of miles to find a safe place to change the tire.

I check my tire pressure regularly but I can't do it when I'm driving.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Question