2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear Ended

Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Rear Ended

So I was driving through Nashville yesterday when I got rear ended by a chevy blazer while driving my mom's 2013 Honda Fit. Luckily everyone is okay.

Unfortunately the back is pretty smashed up. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out but the agent I spoke with yesterday said not to be surprised if they total it.

I'll try to get some pictures up but the rear gate is smashed in, the glass is gone, the rear quarter panel is crumpled, the rear door on the drivers side has a kink in it and is misaligned.

Luckily I was able to drive it home since we were 8 hrs from Pittsburgh. Does anyone have any advice if they do decide to total the car?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2017, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about your bad luck. I'm 99% sure it will be totaled. Any rear impact that gets into the rear doors seems to total them.

Not much you need to do other than check kbb.com, edmunds, etc and see what the fair market value is of the 2013 Fit. Be sure to include the exact model and miles. No matter how perfect you may think it was, it probably does not qualify for the top condition category. That being said, you can certainly negotiate towards that number.

In my limited experience, the insurance companies usually put a pretty fair value on the vehicle up front to avoid the back and forth. The only exception is specialty/hard to replace vehicles. A 2013 Fit does not fall into that category. You should come out fine.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Sounds good. They are supposed to come between 12 and 3 tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear, good to hear u and anyone else in the Fit was okay.

i saw like 4 rear-ended accidents yesterday. people are so faking stupid it pisses me off. GL with insurance. if it is totalled, they will let you come to the body shop or whereever so that you can pickup your belongings. they will let you remove anything you need to of value including any aftermarket parts that are easy to take off. they wont let you take any factory bits though usually as they are going to be auctioning it off later.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Rear Ended

Sorry that you were hit, glad the Fit protected you! Having gone through the same thing, my advice to you would be to immediately return to stock/remove anything aftermarket, etc. that you desire to keep. The adjuster will look at replacing a stock car, so if you've made any mods, you'll want to take them off, as it could be a hassle to get their worth.
Good luck on choosing your NEXT Fit!!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, get your neck check out too.. whiplash pain comes like 3-4 days after the crash.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
My advice would be to start looking up the Kelly Blue Book value for your mothers vehicle before the accident.
And since this wasn't your fault, be ready to fight to get as much value as possible.

You want to have a baseline idea of what your mothers vehicle was worth before the Insurance Company offers you their settlement for value.

Hope the settlement is fair, and you have enough money to look at getting back a vehicle of at least equal value.
If not, even being able maybe to consider upgrading to new vehicle. Even though that would mean further investment.

Good Luck...

Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 PM
They finally came back with an offer. They offered $9,200 although after I looked at the valuation details they they had some things missed a few options took off for stuff damaged in the accident and a few other things.

I’m trying to get those ironed out and if they agree to those it should come up to $10,200.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on mileage and model, the $9,200 is a fair offer. Will be even better if you can get the extra grand.

$9,200 is higher than the trade in value of even a loaded Sport with low miles.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Depending on mileage and model, the $9,200 is a fair offer. Will be even better if you can get the extra grand.

$9,200 is higher than the trade in value of even a loaded Sport with low miles.
They have to provide the replacement cost so it would be retail value plus tax. It’s not a bad offer I’m just hopping to get the extra grand.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
oh yah, get your neck check out too.. whiplash pain comes like 3-4 days after the crash.
This ^ Make sure to get checked out before you settle the claim. If you settle & later have medical issues later you may be S.O.L.

Sorry this happened to you, but glad there are no obvious injuries.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adock22096
They finally came back with an offer. They offered $9,200 although after I looked at the valuation details they they had some things missed a few options took off for stuff damaged in the accident and a few other things.

I’m trying to get those ironed out and if they agree to those it should come up to $10,200.
usually ur insurance agent will work with you to get all the expenses paid if it does end up costing more than the estimate. afterall, an estimate is just an estimate.

if your insurance agent doesnt work with you, you must have Geico (per the read here, they dont help big accident victims all too well) and should call jake at statefarm.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
I don't believe it's an estimate. Car is beyond totaled at that amount.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
right off amount then? i didnt bother to read in detail.. but taking insurance a long dandy time.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
right off amount then? i didnt bother to read in detail.. but taking insurance a long dandy time.
Yeah they declared it a total loss. The guy that hit me had the General and they are terrible. They keep changing the agent I’m working with so they never have any idea what’s going on. Then they don’t return your calls. Now they are complaining that’s its taking me too long to settle even though the head of the team working on the claim has been out of the office for a week. I called today to get the discrepancies in their valuation of the vehicle settled and she said she doesn’t handle that I have to call there appraisers. They haven’t returned my calls either. I feel like their tactic is to be so horrible that you just give up trying to get any more money from them.I forgot they also didn’t know where my car was. I told them it’s in my garage they never came to pick it up or tell me where to drop it off.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Too funny!

Given their incompetence, maybe you should just get a check without signing anything that gives them the car? Then you can sell it to a recycler to help with the cost?

Has your Mom picked out a replacement?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Too funny!

Given their incompetence, maybe you should just get a check without signing anything that gives them the car? Then you can sell it to a recycler to help with the cost?

Has your Mom picked out a replacement?
Not yet. I’m going out with her this weekend to look. She has a 2011 Subaru Forester that she was going to trade in as well. So she was thinking about either an Impreza hatch back or the Crosstrek. We might look at the HRV and the civic as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Nice choices! A good friend has a Crosstrek and they love it. Only complaint is it's a bit poky, but it has served them well. They even tow regularly with it and so far so good.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Nice choices! A good friend has a Crosstrek and they love it. Only complaint is it's a bit poky, but it has served them well. They even tow regularly with it and so far so good.
They put a new short block in her Forester because of the piston ring recall. While it was in the garage for that they gave her a crosstrek and she liked it. I drove it a few times and it was a solid vehicle.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
The new Crosstrek is a nice car. Not fast, but neither was her Fit so she should be OK with it.

Have your insurance company deal with the General. Yes it is the other guys fault, but you pay money to your insurance to help you at times like this. Give them a call & see what they say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Ended