2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Another weird engine tick

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Another weird engine tick

I also have a weird tick on my newly acquired 2010 Fit sport. It probably starts at 2500 rpm, only under load when accelerating, and when holding the speed steady it gets very apparent. It does not happen when free revving in neutral, only under load while driving. The sound does not increase in speed with speed. Stays a steady tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick. I checked the exhaust for leaks, I found the egr bung completely broken off the downpipe/exhaust manifold but was still stuck in the hole. I bent it out of the way to see if that was the rattle or tick..it was not hahaha it got super loud after that so I had to soupcan hose clamp that hole and the tick sound continues.
I plan on checking the plugs/coils but no garage in Michigan poses some problems right now. The previous owner said the sound started when the AC stopped working, he though it was the compressor bearing. I rerouted the AC out of the loop with a shorter belt and that didn’t help either. He says the sound has not gotten any worse or changed at all in the past 6 months/7k miles since it started. I am stumped and don’t want to destroy this engine

Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
I know mine "ticks" loudest in the winter and I think my '11 Sport At w/ ~70k miles needs the valves adjusted. These engines have that fancy Vtec valve train which behaves differently at different rpms. That might be giving you different sounds as you put the car through its paces.

Any idea if the valves have been adjusted? How many miles on your car?

I would still check for loose spark plugs.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:05 AM
car has 148k and I’m not sure about the valve adjustment. I just asked the PO. It’s a little more aggressive than what I think a valve tick would be tho

Old 03-04-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Can you try to upload a recording of the sound?

If it doesn’t change with car speed, it could be something along the accessories... like radiator fan? Does the a/c have it’s own fan? Not the compressor on the belt. As anything on the belt should be tied to engine speed.

On the other hand, depending on the sound, might be something electrical in nature, like a relay that isn’t working properly.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't there some spring in the valve train that has a recall? Might be worth typing in your VIN.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Isn't there some spring in the valve train that has a recall? Might be worth typing in your VIN.
yeah the PO said that recall has been done. I checked the ViN and the only recalls are need are for shrapenel airbags(eeek) so I DO need to get Those swapped out but the spring was done.

Im not sure about any accessories or AC fans, I just picked up the car last week and don’t have much familiarity with these at all.

I had had a check engine light come on, I figured it was just for the EGR not being hooked up, so I overlooked it. There was no loss of power or anything. But as I was driving today, after about an hour straight, the CEL started flashing and the engine bogged down so I pulled it over and sat for a few while I looked up possible flashing CELs. It seems flashing means there is a misfire in one or more cylinders, so this is leaning me towards a spark plug/coil issue....I hope. I don’t see how the EGR would bog it down and flash like that. The only thing different is that it is getting clean air instead or exhaust, but maybe I need to plug or remove that tube going back into the intake. I don’t know, I’m stumped, confused, broke and butt hurt hahaha I have enough broken parked cars!!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Honestly, you either need a mechanic, or at the very least, an OBD reader. You can’t just assume things, as it can cause bigger problems if your guess is off.

As for the EGR, I recommend fixing it properly and not just “stuffing” it.

Even if you think it should be better with only fresh air, another thing to consider is that some of that exhaust is there to help cool down the engine.

On a side note, this would be one of the bigger reasons why I am generally not a fan of buying used anything.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 AM
Yeah I lost my obd2 reader, Amazon’s got one in the mail for me. I’ve been to a mechanic, nobody could diagnose with out tearing into it and if that’s the case, I can do that myself. As for EGR, it’s been well documented that it is only used to keep emissions down. They produce block off plate kits and you just code it out with a tune. Race car playboiii

Last edited by Robbyptown; 03-05-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: more stuff to say
Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers

On a side note, this would be one of the bigger reasons why I am generally not a fan of buying used anything.
Used cars?! Ol’ Moneybags over here

Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Plus, I didn’t buy it I got it on trade, trying to make it worth it

Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Robbyptown

Used cars?! Ol’ Moneybags over here
You say that, but when I was shopping for my Fit, a used Fit costed just as much as a new Fit.

On the flipped side, I purposely saved up money for the goal of buying a car.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
You say that, but when I was shopping for my Fit, a used Fit costed just as much as a new Fit.
yeah I got it on a trade so I wasn’t shopping

Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Actually this is by-far my newist car. I’ve got e30 91 325i, an 96 Miata and a 2000 ranger. My ranger was tied for newest before this

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Robbyptown

It seems flashing means there is a misfire in one or more cylinders, so this is leaning me towards a spark plug/coil issue....I hope.
If you do have a loose spark plug or two, those can be easily fixed / replaced. Several owners have replaced "good" coil packs simply because "it was time" or that they didn't do any further diagnostics but a coil pack is the more expensive component, times four = $.

My plugs (#2 & #3) were loose on '11 Sport AT and dealer got me on replacing one coil pack but once the light came on again a day or two later, I figured out what was happening, I replaced all plugs, used a little blue threadlocker on each, and continue to this day to use all of the original coil packs that came with the car (new on is in a box). A loose plug will allow a lot of soot to accumulate on the coil pack but only extended exposure to the hot gases escaping the cylinder will melt the coil pack and force you to replace. Maybe these go bad too but I haven't heard of it happening on the forum.

The sooner you resolve a leaking spark plug the better if in fact that is the problem.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Ditto on spike55's advice!

At your mileage, the car should have had 2 valve adjustments. If they haven't been done, they need to be done pronto.

Get a set of OEM type iridium NGK or Denso plugs and do a valve adjustment. Other than time, the only cost is the plugs.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Yes, the car has only had only one known valve adjustment in its life

Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM
So I think I have found the issue..or AN issue at least I know that. Had to order all new coils and Denso ik22s. I really think this would be the cause the problem All the coil packs separated and and got stuck in there, lots of needle nosing. These plugs are toast too
This one was crossthreaded and totally broken and missing the center electrode

Old 03-05-2018, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Those are a horrible choice of plugs for these cars. They really need the OEM type iridiums. IK22's will do great.

Sadly, you can see that two cylinders were leaking (loose plugs) with one being really bad. Probably the one with stripped threads.

Betting they didn't use compressed air to clean out the plug wells before plug removal which contaminated the threads. Then they also didn't use anti-seize to help thread in. (Many here say no to anti-seize, but I'm a firm believer and the factory service manual says to use anti-seize on the plugs)

I'm worried that there's a heli-coil in your future. I don't think you'll get that one cylinder to thread in properly.

Sorry for this bad news

Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Previous person also did not use dielectric grease which allowed the plug boots to melt to the plugs.

Someone really made some poor choices. Sorry that you have to pay the price.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 PM
I’m on the way to get a thread repair kit now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another weird engine tick