2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need to replace cylinder head

Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Angry Need to replace cylinder head

So... a while back I hit a dip (going the speed limit) that I didn't see because an RV was parked in front of the sign...

Did what I thought was minor damage at first. Then I discovered the following: Broken mounting point on the cylinder head for the passenger side motor mount bracket. At the suggestion of a mechanic friend I tried JB welding it back together. I let it cure for 5 days... Of course it did not work.

If anyone has suggestions or tips for me on this, it'd certainly be appreciated.

The cylinder head where the mounting point is located

Bottom of the bracket with the broken off piece

Pic 1 of my feeble attempt at a garage fix

Pic 2 of my feeble attempt at cheap garage fix

Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
That’s not a cylinder head... it’s specifically the cam chain cover. I know this, because I had to replace the same part due to also breaking it in the same place. There are others that had similar issues.

However, I had mine done under warranty.

If it were to happen again, I would just buy the part (and liquid gasket) to replace on my own. Nevermind, I just saw the picture from Bernardi Honda parts, don’t think I have the “skills” to deal with the oil seal around the crankshaft or crank wheel or much else around it. I just replaced the auto-tensioner yesterday, and that was annoying.

Google Honda-CASE-ASSY-CHAIN, there are at least two part numbers, for example a 2013 has a different part number from 2010.

Last edited by Goobers; 04-03-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
That’s not a cylinder head... it’s specifically the cam chain cover. I know this, because I had to replace the same part due to also breaking it in the same place. There are others that had similar issues.

However, I had mine done under warranty.

If it were to happen again, I would just buy the part (and liquid gasket) to replace on my own. Nevermind, I just saw the picture from Bernardi Honda parts, don’t think I have the “skills” to deal with the oil seal around the crankshaft or crank wheel or much else around it. I just replaced the auto-tensioner yesterday, and that was annoying.

Google Honda-CASE-ASSY-CHAIN, there are at least two part numbers, for example a 2013 has a different part number from 2010.
Well... that's not fantastic. Like at all. The part is cheaper but the work... ugh.