2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Fit bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Unhappy Another Fit bites the dust

Got rear ended Friday. Idiot guy not paying attention to the line of cars on the slow lane slowing down for construction workers underneath a dark overpass. I happen to be the unlucky one being at the end. Was shocked, since he wasn't there behind me, so he must have been speeding. Fit took it like a champ. Nor airbags deployed. Still drives straight. Other guy has some front bumper damage, his coolant leaking, no airbags. No serious injuries.

As far as I can tell. No roof collapse. Passenger side quarter panel with some damage. Rear hatch obliterated. Mugen butt completely destroyed. Possible spare tire floor collapse too. Crash bar seems ok.

To think, i just fixed the mugen bumper a couple of months ago. Replaced a bunch of clips so the hatch panel doesnt keep falling off.

I feel like this will be totalled out. I already started removing alot of my parts in preparation for this. Still waiting for an adjustor to come. Makes me sad looking at my car so beat up.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 AM
Glad to hear you're ok. Sad to see this. What is it with morons smashing into Fit's lately?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Shoot. Sorry to see this dude. Hope you're okay, get your neck checked out to be safe.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
At least you got opportunity to remove the parts. When my 79 Supra was totaled it was towed away with my lunch bag and new set of jumper cables

Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear this. Glad there were no injuries. Seems like we are living in an age where cell phones = rear end accidents. I know that I worry constantly about what/who is behind me. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Glad to hear you're ok. Sad to see this. What is it with morons smashing into Fit's lately?
Right!

3rd one in a week.
Stay safe people...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Pretty soon, someone will put a police crash bar in front AND behind to protect ourselves from idiot drivers.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. Adjuster came today and said he's gonna total my car. Cool guy used to work for Honda. Said he'll give me a week to remove the rest of my parts before he sends the tow truck in.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
I've been where you are. Glad you're okay, AND that you get a chance to remove your parts. I was allowed to do the same; hope you are able to find a good "Fit" as a replacement!

Old 05-08-2018, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
I've found that the Fit is an @$$ho1e/idiot magnet. I can be driving well over the speed limit, and there's usually someone in a pick up truck, SUV, or luxury make tailgating me.
Throw in a phone and the inattention exponentially increases the chances of being rear ended.
PS. Glad to know you are OK and that the Fit provided protection.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing the photo and story. Glad you are OK. Possibility of getting rear-ended in a Fit has always been a reason I've stayed away from the model, but your situation and another rear-end incident (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ded-today.html) seem to indicate that the Fit holds up well in such crashes. (In that linked thread, it sounded as if the "truck" -- guessing a pickup -- was going quite fast, as in your case. Also, surprisingly to me, that car was repaired as good as new, as seen in the photo on the last page of that thread.)

Farrago, I drive a 2012 CR-V, and one morning, I had a guy in a neon-yellow Fit tailgating me and blowing his horn. I'm like, "Dude, I *know* you can't see anything besides my back door. One touch of my brakes and you are toast." I let him live, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's since killed himself with reckless driving.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pjaymac
Thanks for sharing the photo and story. Glad you are OK. Possibility of getting rear-ended in a Fit has always been a reason I've stayed away from the model, but your situation and another rear-end incident (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ded-today.html) seem to indicate that the Fit holds up well in such crashes. (In that linked thread, it sounded as if the "truck" -- guessing a pickup -- was going quite fast, as in your case. Also, surprisingly to me, that car was repaired as good as new, as seen in the photo on the last page of that thread.)

Farrago, I drive a 2012 CR-V, and one morning, I had a guy in a neon-yellow Fit tailgating me and blowing his horn. I'm like, "Dude, I *know* you can't see anything besides my back door. One touch of my brakes and you are toast." I let him live, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's since killed himself with reckless driving.
Wow! I have wondered if my experience is due to "cultural" or geographical issues. I split my time between PDX and SF. Different types of driving problems and drivers, but that's been my common theme. Never had another Honda or an Elantra on my tail. Though, now that I think about it, in SF it's more likely that any brand of vehicle may be the offender.

FWIW, I don't do more than 5 mph over the limit and stick to the right lane wherever possible.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
Wow! I have wondered if my experience is due to "cultural" or geographical issues. I split my time between PDX and SF. Different types of driving problems and drivers, but that's been my common theme. Never had another Honda or an Elantra on my tail. Though, now that I think about it, in SF it's more likely that any brand of vehicle may be the offender.

FWIW, I don't do more than 5 mph over the limit and stick to the right lane wherever possible.
Heh-heh. Interesting about the possibility that cultural or geographical issues might be the reason for your experience. I totally do the same re: speed and the right lane! I got a ticket once for doing 10 mph over the speed limit, and the fine was $100. Ever since, I've stuck to 5 mph over.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Dang! Heartbreaking to see that. Glad you're OK otherwise and looks like you've got a replacement already

Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fituna
Right!

3rd one in a week.
Stay safe people...
Just got huge 2 " long 3/16" dia lag screw in my rear tire. Had it fixed under warranty
Rode on the donut tire without checking its air pressure and heard howl-whine noise inside; turned out the donut had only 20 PSI instead of 60

Old 05-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Sorry you have to go through the experience of a car accident and the loss of your Fit. I am glad that you did not sustain any injuries.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
Thanks everyone. Adjuster came today and said he's gonna total my car. Cool guy used to work for Honda. Said he'll give me a week to remove the rest of my parts before he sends the tow truck in.

sucks, but good thing u weren't hurt. time for a new CTR for you?

Old 05-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
FTR Sport!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks dude. Sorry to see those pictures of the crash.

If they total it, I'd sure be tempted to buy it back and see if I could crowbar a new hatch into that opening. It wouldn't be pretty, but it would make a super cheap car for someone.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
It was totalled. The assessor showed me both quarter panels are crushed every so slightly that the rear doors catch since the gap (between door and quarter panel) is gone now. the hatch floor crumpled to the second rearmost crumple zone. not to mention the rear hatch needs to be replaced. he said they will literally need to cut the back end and weld in a new one to repair it. i said ehhfit take it away and give me my money.

I have a GK now.

Quick Reply: Another Fit bites the dust